Competitive Class Rank for Internships/Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetter64

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out my GPA and class ranking. I am in the top 42% which is not great. What are competitive class rankings for internships and residencies for competitive specialties such as radiology, surgery, and neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't really a hard cutoff as each institution will place different emphasis on things like class rank. I know people in the bottom 50% of their class who matched and have also been on internship and residency selection committees where we didn't rank people in the top 10% of their class due to other factors. Generally speaking though, if you are in the top 10-25% of the class, it can only help your application.

Reactions: 2 users
There isn't really a hard cutoff as each institution will place different emphasis on things like class rank. I know people in the bottom 50% of their class who matched and have also been on internship and residency selection committees where we didn't rank people in the top 10% of their class due to other factors. Generally speaking though, if you are in the top 10-25% of the class, it can only help your application.
Do you think it’s possible to pull my rank up? I’m currently a first year and at this rate, I’m not sure if I can pull it up to the top 25% in time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it’s possible to pull my rank up? I’m currently a first year and at this rate, I’m not sure if I can pull it up to the top 25% in time.

Start guessing who’s in the top 25% and be creative about how you sabotage. You know... offer to take them out to a chipotle or something, slip in a little salmonella and such.

In all seriousness, yes you totally can pull your rank up. Who knows “how much” better you need to do to get up to the top 25%. Just do the best you can, cause I mean, that’s all you can do. And let the pieces fall where they go. Don’t worry about it beyond that.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Definitely, in my class there was only 1% difference in GPA between #1 and #2, and I think the top 5 were within a 3-5% range. You could be separated by decimal points.

Reactions: 1 users
Start guessing who’s in the top 25% and be creative about how you sabotage. You know... offer to take them out to a chipotle or something, slip in a little salmonella and such.

In all seriousness, yes you totally can pull your rank up. Who knows “how much” better you need to do to get up to the top 25%. Just do the best you can, cause I mean, that’s all you can do. And let the pieces fall where they go. Don’t worry about it beyond that.

Eh, I don't know, I feel like crypto might be a better sabotage agent.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Definitely, in my class there was only 1% difference in GPA between #1 and #2, and I think the top 5 were within a 3-5% range. You could be separated by decimal points.

Yeah and with grades being a bell curve distribution, the more in the middle you are, the more likely that even 1% difference will jump you up like a ton of people.

Rabies. Go big or go home.

1589550450999.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I've spoken to a lot of clinicians, my mentors, and residents about class rank and GPA about how they impact your chance of matching. Truth is, rank and GPA play a less significant role on your application when being compared to your letters of rec. You can be in the top 25% of the class because you are an excellent multiple choice taker on exams, but when asked for three differentials for hypercalcemia, you throw a blank stare. There's a difference in the people who memorize for an exam and then toss the information out, and the ones who may not be in the top 50%, but learned and understood the information and know how to apply it. The clinicians who write those letters have seen you perform in clinics and if you can critically think about a case which they will put in your letters. Communication is another aspect that can be put in letters of rec because how you communicate effectively with clients and other clinicians is vital. Having a good rank helps, but it is just a piece of an application when it comes to matching.

Reactions: 1 user
I've spoken to a lot of clinicians, my mentors, and residents about class rank and GPA about how they impact your chance of matching. Truth is, rank and GPA play a less significant role on your application when being compared to your letters of rec. You can be in the top 25% of the class because you are an excellent multiple choice taker on exams, but when asked for three differentials for hypercalcemia, you throw a blank stare. There's a difference in the people who memorize for an exam and then toss the information out, and the ones who may not be in the top 50%, but learned and understood the information and know how to apply it. The clinicians who write those letters have seen you perform in clinics and if you can critically think about a case which they will put in your letters. Communication is another aspect that can be put in letters of rec because how you communicate effectively with clients and other clinicians is vital. Having a good rank helps, but it is just a piece of an application when it comes to matching.
This is very true, but it’s also important to realize that depending on what you’re applying for, there may be so many applicants at popular programs that they have to come up with some way to narrow down the packets they actually read. So for some programs, if you don’t meet that magic GPA/rank cutoff, they may never read your amazing letters of recommendation. Smaller programs with less applicants may have more ability to give each applicant more attention. It’s certainly possible to match with a not-so-high rank but you have to be smart about where you apply and accept that to some places you will immediately be out of contention. There’s not much you can do as a student but continue to do as well as possible in school to bring your rank up as much as you can, continue to cultivate those relationships for people to write you letters, and be smart and do your research when applying. It’s an uphill battle when your rank is lower, but it’s not impossible. You may have a longer road or one that is not as prestigious, but it’s not hopeless.

Reactions: 1 user