• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Competitive Class Rank for Internships/Residencies

prevetter64

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2018
I just found out my GPA and class ranking. I am in the top 42% which is not great. What are competitive class rankings for internships and residencies for competitive specialties such as radiology, surgery, and neurology?

SocialStigma

OVC c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2009
  1. Veterinarian
There isn't really a hard cutoff as each institution will place different emphasis on things like class rank. I know people in the bottom 50% of their class who matched and have also been on internship and residency selection committees where we didn't rank people in the top 10% of their class due to other factors. Generally speaking though, if you are in the top 10-25% of the class, it can only help your application.

Reactions: 2 users

prevetter64

2+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2018
There isn't really a hard cutoff as each institution will place different emphasis on things like class rank. I know people in the bottom 50% of their class who matched and have also been on internship and residency selection committees where we didn't rank people in the top 10% of their class due to other factors. Generally speaking though, if you are in the top 10-25% of the class, it can only help your application.
Do you think it’s possible to pull my rank up? I’m currently a first year and at this rate, I’m not sure if I can pull it up to the top 25% in time.

About the Ads

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
  1. Veterinary Student
Do you think it’s possible to pull my rank up? I’m currently a first year and at this rate, I’m not sure if I can pull it up to the top 25% in time.

Start guessing who’s in the top 25% and be creative about how you sabotage. You know... offer to take them out to a chipotle or something, slip in a little salmonella and such.

In all seriousness, yes you totally can pull your rank up. Who knows “how much” better you need to do to get up to the top 25%. Just do the best you can, cause I mean, that’s all you can do. And let the pieces fall where they go. Don’t worry about it beyond that.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

SocialStigma

OVC c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2009
  1. Veterinarian

Definitely, in my class there was only 1% difference in GPA between #1 and #2, and I think the top 5 were within a 3-5% range. You could be separated by decimal points.

Reactions: 1 users

supershorty

still not a wolf
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2013
  1. Veterinary Student
Start guessing who’s in the top 25% and be creative about how you sabotage. You know... offer to take them out to a chipotle or something, slip in a little salmonella and such.

In all seriousness, yes you totally can pull your rank up. Who knows “how much” better you need to do to get up to the top 25%. Just do the best you can, cause I mean, that’s all you can do. And let the pieces fall where they go. Don’t worry about it beyond that.

Eh, I don't know, I feel like crypto might be a better sabotage agent.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
  1. Veterinary Student
Definitely, in my class there was only 1% difference in GPA between #1 and #2, and I think the top 5 were within a 3-5% range. You could be separated by decimal points.

Yeah and with grades being a bell curve distribution, the more in the middle you are, the more likely that even 1% difference will jump you up like a ton of people.

vetsahoyVMCVM

2+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2018
I've spoken to a lot of clinicians, my mentors, and residents about class rank and GPA about how they impact your chance of matching. Truth is, rank and GPA play a less significant role on your application when being compared to your letters of rec. You can be in the top 25% of the class because you are an excellent multiple choice taker on exams, but when asked for three differentials for hypercalcemia, you throw a blank stare. There's a difference in the people who memorize for an exam and then toss the information out, and the ones who may not be in the top 50%, but learned and understood the information and know how to apply it. The clinicians who write those letters have seen you perform in clinics and if you can critically think about a case which they will put in your letters. Communication is another aspect that can be put in letters of rec because how you communicate effectively with clients and other clinicians is vital. Having a good rank helps, but it is just a piece of an application when it comes to matching.

Reactions: 1 user

JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
  1. Veterinarian
I've spoken to a lot of clinicians, my mentors, and residents about class rank and GPA about how they impact your chance of matching. Truth is, rank and GPA play a less significant role on your application when being compared to your letters of rec. You can be in the top 25% of the class because you are an excellent multiple choice taker on exams, but when asked for three differentials for hypercalcemia, you throw a blank stare. There's a difference in the people who memorize for an exam and then toss the information out, and the ones who may not be in the top 50%, but learned and understood the information and know how to apply it. The clinicians who write those letters have seen you perform in clinics and if you can critically think about a case which they will put in your letters. Communication is another aspect that can be put in letters of rec because how you communicate effectively with clients and other clinicians is vital. Having a good rank helps, but it is just a piece of an application when it comes to matching.
This is very true, but it’s also important to realize that depending on what you’re applying for, there may be so many applicants at popular programs that they have to come up with some way to narrow down the packets they actually read. So for some programs, if you don’t meet that magic GPA/rank cutoff, they may never read your amazing letters of recommendation. Smaller programs with less applicants may have more ability to give each applicant more attention. It’s certainly possible to match with a not-so-high rank but you have to be smart about where you apply and accept that to some places you will immediately be out of contention. There’s not much you can do as a student but continue to do as well as possible in school to bring your rank up as much as you can, continue to cultivate those relationships for people to write you letters, and be smart and do your research when applying. It’s an uphill battle when your rank is lower, but it’s not impossible. You may have a longer road or one that is not as prestigious, but it’s not hopeless.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.