No GPA/Rank for Internships and Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello hello! I have a question about the importance of just HAVING a GPA and rank when applying to residencies and internships, not if it’s low or not. My school is no longer going to provide GPA and rank upon request for things like externships, scholarships, the match, etc… and I am really worried about how that will affect me and other students that want to specialize. Instead they said they will give us a letter from our deans explaining why they do not provide GPA/Rank (competitiveness, not accurate among schools, etc). Technically I can see my GPA and class grades, so I might be able to try and figure it out on my own by keeping records of that, but I’ve also heard that rank is usually more important. I’m just really worried about trying to apply for any of these things without that information provided. Anyone have any insight or experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it will matter, to be honest. Programs aren't going to make changes like that without really thinking about how it will affect the outgoing students.

I come from a program that also doesn't do class rank (though they did when the class I started with went through the curriculum) and it has not impacted things for those who want to specialize.

Reactions: 1 user