Competitive DAT Scores and GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimisticdent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

It's been a bit nerve-racking looking at all of these amazing scores that are posted (congrats to all you overachievers), so I just wanted to ask a couple questions. I've looked at schools' average DATs and GPAs, and they hover around 19-20 and 3.5 for the most part, with a few exceptions. By the definition of an average, there are scores above and below the mean within the student body. I know a few years ago, a 19 was seen as a good/competitive score. As times have been changing, what is that "good" score here in 2016? Has it changed as much as it seems to have changed?

Just for reference, I scored a 22, and upon looking at percentiles in years past, I thought that my score was pretty good, and good enough for multiple acceptances, especially when coupled with a 3.8 GPA. Now it's being put to shame by all you SDNers haha, so I'm not so sure anymore. And, yes, I understand that SDN represents a tiny portion of the applicant pool, and that SDNers generally do much better than average.

So, in relation to this, what are some GPA/DAT combos that are seen as ideal/good enough for multiple acceptances nowadays?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,

It's been a bit nerve-racking looking at all of these amazing scores that are posted (congrats to all you overachievers), so I just wanted to ask a couple questions. I've looked at schools' average DATs and GPAs, and they hover around 19-20 and 3.5 for the most part, with a few exceptions. By the definition of an average, there are scores above and below the mean within the student body. I know a few years ago, a 19 was seen as a good/competitive score. As times have been changing, what is that "good" score here in 2016? Has it changed as much as it seems to have changed?

Just for reference, I scored a 22, and upon looking at percentiles in years past, I thought that my score was pretty good, and good enough for multiple acceptances, especially when coupled with a 3.8 GPA. Now it's being put to shame by all you SDNers haha, so I'm not so sure anymore. And, yes, I understand that SDN represents a tiny portion of the applicant pool, and that SDNers generally do much better than average.

So, in relation to this, what are some GPA/DAT combos that are seen as ideal/good enough for multiple acceptances nowadays?
You have ideal scores. You'll should be fine as long as your personal statement, LORs, and ECs are good. Oh and if you interview well is a big help also.

Reactions: 1 user
SDN is full of over achievers. It's full of people who already have the idea to get online and post stuff like this. Plus you have people who don't want to post because they are afraid of being told they aren't good enough.
We have similar scores. I feel very confident and felt my DAT was great. Looking at SDN is just a small fraction of the people who are actually applying. Don't second guess yourself and don't worry :p

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need a 3.9 and 25AA. Anything less than that is mediocre.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everybody,

Go for it!