Competitive enough for ACGME or stick with AOA GS Programs? (DO Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mvb2

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm halfway done with OMS3 and have always wanted to go into general surgery. These are my stats:

COMLEX 1: 551, Step 1: 232
GPA 4.0 (including all of my clinicals so far)
top 5% of my class and member of sigma sigma phi honors society
A's on all of my shelf exams so far
no medical school-level research

It seems that my scores are competitive enough for several programs according to FREIDA, but I'm afraid that the score ranges are reported lower than what is actually accepted. It's also hard to find stats on DO residency programs to check cut-off scores and such. The DO match still occurs prior to the MD match, so if I did match to a DO program, I would automatically be withdrawn from the MD match. I'm also located at a rural location for my 3rd and 4th year, making it hard to find any physicians with a lot of pull at residency programs.

Are my scores competitive enough to solely apply for MD programs (with or without audition rotations) or should I also apply for the DO match?

Lastly, does anyone know if the UT at Chattanooga program accepts DOs?
 
First time post - but here to help.

I'm a OMS4 with similar scores (actually yours are better in many aspects).
I entered both worlds for applications. I narrowed down which allopathic residencies to apply to based on whether they have taken DOs in the past, what their USMLE cut off was, etc.
I am forgoing the DO match because I got enough looks in the ACGME.
Make sure that you take Step 2 before you submit your applications and that you improve. That was a big help for my application. (+18 points)

you can PM me if you need any help.


Hey everyone,

I'm halfway done with OMS3 and have always wanted to go into general surgery. These are my stats:

COMLEX 1: 551, Step 1: 232
GPA 4.0 (including all of my clinicals so far)
top 5% of my class and member of sigma sigma phi honors society
A's on all of my shelf exams so far
no medical school-level research

It seems that my scores are competitive enough for several programs according to FREIDA, but I'm afraid that the score ranges are reported lower than what is actually accepted. It's also hard to find stats on DO residency programs to check cut-off scores and such. The DO match still occurs prior to the MD match, so if I did match to a DO program, I would automatically be withdrawn from the MD match. I'm also located at a rural location for my 3rd and 4th year, making it hard to find any physicians with a lot of pull at residency programs.

Are my scores competitive enough to solely apply for MD programs (with or without audition rotations) or should I also apply for the DO match?

Lastly, does anyone know if the UT at Chattanooga program accepts DOs?
 
Hey everyone,

I'm halfway done with OMS3 and have always wanted to go into general surgery. These are my stats:

COMLEX 1: 551, Step 1: 232
GPA 4.0 (including all of my clinicals so far)
top 5% of my class and member of sigma sigma phi honors society
A's on all of my shelf exams so far
no medical school-level research

It seems that my scores are competitive enough for several programs according to FREIDA, but I'm afraid that the score ranges are reported lower than what is actually accepted. It's also hard to find stats on DO residency programs to check cut-off scores and such. The DO match still occurs prior to the MD match, so if I did match to a DO program, I would automatically be withdrawn from the MD match. I'm also located at a rural location for my 3rd and 4th year, making it hard to find any physicians with a lot of pull at residency programs.

Are my scores competitive enough to solely apply for MD programs (with or without audition rotations) or should I also apply for the DO match?

Lastly, does anyone know if the UT at Chattanooga program accepts DOs?

Hey!

Your stats are pretty good, like the last poster said make sure you take Step 2 and kill it before your application releases. If I were you, I would do DO auditions at places your upperclassmen recommend. Apply for both AOA and ACGME and then if you get plenty of ACGME interviews you can drop out of the AOA match. I have a few classmates who thought they were comfortable enough stats-wise with ACGME, got very few interviews and didn't do any DO auditions so they have no backup plan. As for UT Chat, myself and a friend of mine both got immediate rejections from them. For reference stats 240s/260s, 670s/720s. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, if you're specifically interested in the Southeast you can PM and i'll tell you DO friendly ACGME programs that I encountered and very unfriendly places that probably screened out DO apps.
 
I would probably apply to both if I were you. The average for gen surg this year was 235- had you been an MD your chances would be great. Sucks but it comes with the territory of going to a DO school. If you get a decent amount of interviews (10-12+) I would say forfeit the DO match and put all your eggs in- but for now I would say don't take any chances. Good luck!
 
Can anyone comment to how many MD interviews you feel makes it somewhat "safe" to forego DO match? Obviously there are no guarantees but I'm just curious what number do most folks go by to decide to forego


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile