Competitive enough for dental school? Cutoff portion for dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piznut99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tell me what you guys think about my chances. Also what is the cutoff point for the lowest section on any DAT portion?

PA 17
QR 15
RC 19
GC 19
BIO 18
OC 21
TS 19
AA 18

GPA: 3.88 science: 3.75

I have 2 yrs of dental assisting experience and my brother and sister are dentists.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is way above average, however, your DAT scores are right on the average for most private schools. I'd say your chances are pretty good, but it depends on where you are applying, your extracurriculars, and how your interviews go. Don't worry about it...Good luck!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate the QR section of that darn DAT!!! :eek:

I was so caught up in everything else that i put math last on my list. The pat killed me. I got 20, 21, 23 on topscore and a 17 on the real test. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
your gpa will open a lot of doors, your scores on the DAT are somewhat avg, and i know some school like UOP will not accept anything below an 18. so depends on your LOR and you do have lots of experience, apply early, and im sure youll hear from some schools

you will be fine, your GPA is way above average. 17 is consider national average for DAT scores, and you are clearly above that in your AA, especially your TS, 19 is an excellent score despite what some people might think. so just consider yourself stronger than the average applicants. Unless you are trying to get into the top tier school (i.e harvard, UOP, UCLA....), you should have no problem getting in

Do any of you guys or gals know what the lowest acceptable score in DAT are for the various dental schools?

I heard Tufts and USC take nothing lower than a 15 in any section.
what about the other schools?

it is around 15 or 16. gotta check each schools website or call'em up dood!

Just called UOP the other day... 16 is the bare minimum for them... but better the 16 be on a non-science section... that was what I was told so take it the way you want to.

For reals on the QR... bites big ones!