Competitive GPA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minniemouse1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is considered a competitive GPA when it comes to obtaining a residency? I know the cut off for many programs is a 3.5 and top 1/2 of the class, but that doesn't seem like it leaves too much room for those at the top. Do programs differentiate a 4.0 from a 3.9 from a 3.8 at face value, or at that point, is one's ability at an externship/interview more important?

Members don't see this ad.

What is considered a competitive GPA when it comes to obtaining a residency? I know the cut off for many programs is a 3.5 and top 1/2 of the class, but that doesn't seem like it leaves too much room for those at the top. […]
It all depends on how the residency evaluates applicants, but the cut-offs for externship are probably the most important, in my opinion, as a stellar externship is the best way for you to obtain a residency program.
[…] Do programs differentiate a 4.0 from a 3.9 from a 3.8 at face value, […]
Not sure what you mean by "at face value," but I think that class rank will be more important and reflective of your academic "league," particularly given that grading scales differ between schools.
[…] or at that point, is one's ability at an externship/interview more important?
The externship and interview are crucial and will be more of what make/break your chances at a program. A stellar GPA probably won't outweigh poor externship performance, and bombing an interview can cost opportunities, as well.

Reactions: 1 users
No such thing as competitive GPA. Get it as high as you can possibly get.

Just because externship/interview can make or break your chances doesn't mean that GPA/rank isn't important. It's VERY VERY important because it's probably the only component of an application that you have 100% control. Plus, GPA isn't just a number...

So the bottom line is... be good all-around. Work hard.

Those with higher GPA tend to perform better as students.
I am involved with selecting residents and externs.
Those who passed boards part 1 the first time around and meet our gpa requirement are usually offered an externship.
The externship is the main predictor in raking at our program but again, higher GPA is usually (not always) associated with better externship performance.
Interview can somewhat correct a poor externship month if you really knock it out of the park.

Reactions: 1 users