GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amint32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am almost finished with my first semester of pod school! And with finals in sight I have some idea of my potential grades and GPA. I was just curious what the pod world considers a competitive GPA to be? Hoping to finish above a 3.5 and just wanted to know how competitive this would be. Thanks all and best of luck on your respective finals!

Members don't see this ad.

Above 3.5 or higher is fine.

Some have auto screen. Look on CASPR/CRIPS catalogue and pick the programs you like. It'll have a bolded thing bottom right side of paper saying "Minimum GPA requirement"

Some students have 3.8s but are completely useless and cause more work for those around them in clinic.

That being said, GPA/rank are easy numbers programs make use of to whittle down applications.

Get it above 3.5 and you're fine.

All the places I clerked at (albeit not that competitive) couldn't care less as long as I worked my ass off, was a team player, etc. They probably thought my grades were higher than they actually are cause of that.

Reactions: 6 users
3.5 you're fine. I was 3.0 or 3.1 and have done great. Most places just want a personable hardworker.
I had people in my class with 4.0s come to be during clinic in school and ask why this or how that or anatomy questions. One 4.0 in my class failed boards. GPA doesn't necessarily mean much. But don't take it to mean you can get a 2.75 and be ok either. All I'm saying is there is wiggle room.

Reactions: 3 users
Do not forget that GPA is relative to each program. A 4.0 at one program could be as hard as a 3.3 at another. Class rank is a more reflective measure of how you are doing, but overall and as stated earlier, it just get's your foot into the door, the real process happens at the location for the aforementioned reasons (working hard, arriving early (THIS ONE!!!), staying late helping, wanting to learn and are not a dick to everyone AKA Teachable and respectful). It's sad to have to say some of those points but you'd be surprised.

If I had to have a comfortable GPA for the majority of programs to likely allow you to rotate, I'd pick 3.0-3.3. [This one is my opinion]

Reactions: 4 users