Competitive IM Residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Rigomortis, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Rigomortis

Rigomortis Member

I realize this is probably impossible to do, but I'd like to get ideas about the relative competitiveness of IM residencies. I've been hearing that one should apply to a spectrum of programs and not just all in the same tier, so it would be nice to know which are the ones less likely to rank you. Anyways, here's a crack at it, trying to take into account location and everything...whadya think?

Ultra competitive:
    Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, MGH, Cleveland Clinic, UWashSeattle, UCSF, Stanford

Real competitive:
    Duke, UCLA, Brigham&Women's, WashU, Columbia, Cornell, UChicago, UMich, UPenn

Getting better, but not by much:
    UNC, Northwestern, Mount Sinai, Yale, Southwestern, BU, Emory, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Pitt, NYU, NewEnglandMed, CaseWestern, BethIsraelHospital, UAB, UColorado.

I'd just like to say I have no basis for any of this, these are just my impressions. I also have no idea what other programs fit this profile....any suggestions?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I would think that Duke was equivalent to MGH for competitiveness. Vandy and Emory are highly regarded as well, but I don't think they are as competitive as Hopkins though. (The most competitive programs may not be the best programs.)

4. Rigomortis

Rigomortis Member

I agree, that's what's makes this all kind of confusing. It's seems there are some places that are more competitive because location or whatever.