Competitive IM Residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Rigomortis, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Rigomortis

Rigomortis Member
    7+ Year Member

I realize this is probably impossible to do, but I'd like to get ideas about the relative competitiveness of IM residencies. I've been hearing that one should apply to a spectrum of programs and not just all in the same tier, so it would be nice to know which are the ones less likely to rank you. Anyways, here's a crack at it, trying to take into account location and everything...whadya think?

Ultra competitive:
    Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, MGH, Cleveland Clinic, UWashSeattle, UCSF, Stanford

Real competitive:
    Duke, UCLA, Brigham&Women's, WashU, Columbia, Cornell, UChicago, UMich, UPenn

Getting better, but not by much:
    UNC, Northwestern, Mount Sinai, Yale, Southwestern, BU, Emory, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Pitt, NYU, NewEnglandMed, CaseWestern, BethIsraelHospital, UAB, UColorado.

I'd just like to say I have no basis for any of this, these are just my impressions. I also have no idea what other programs fit this profile....any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would think that Duke was equivalent to MGH for competitiveness. Vandy and Emory are highly regarded as well, but I don't think they are as competitive as Hopkins though. (The most competitive programs may not be the best programs.)

4. Rigomortis

Rigomortis Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree, that's what's makes this all kind of confusing. It's seems there are some places that are more competitive because location or whatever.