• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Competitive mcat?

About the Ads

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
MadTown
  1. Attending Physician
    i had a 3.4 (cum and science) and got accepted to my top choice with a 32...

with that said, i'd say you should have all 10's and at least one 11 for a 31...don't get a 31 as like 8,10,13 or something because that doesn't look as good either. straight 10's or so should be good for you for a mid-lower school.

MrTee

15+ Year Member
    Oct 14, 2003
      As high as you can get, obviously. But to feel somewhat comfortable at getting into a US, allopathic school, I would want something like a 33-34 at least. Of course, your essays and experiences will play a pretty big role, so if yours are better than avg, you can get away with a couple less points.

VPDcurt

2K Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jul 20, 2004
      1. Attending Physician
        Keep in mind that this site is ridiculous when it comes to MCAT scores. I got a 31R and you would think (if you read this site often enough) that I have a mediocre score. However, in reality that is not the case. Just get a balanced 30 and you should be OK as long as your personal statement is good and you have good ECs. A good MCAT score can get you an interview, but you need a lot of other stuff to get an acceptance.

hello23

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 28, 2004
          ditto to all above answer...but another very impt question: what was your major and your undergrad.... 3.4 in psychobiology is very different than 3.4 in, like neuroscience.

NRAI2001

3K Member
          15+ Year Member
          Nov 6, 2001
          Cali
            hello23 said:
            ditto to all above answer...but another very impt question: what was your major and your undergrad.... 3.4 in psychobiology is very different than 3.4 in, like neuroscience.

I am doubling in Public Health and MCB (molecular cell bio) at Cal Berkeley.

As for my ECs i m not sure what is considered good, but I have:
            - a year of neurosurg research at UCSF (no publication)
            - head TA for upper div physio course
            - working with a professor in PH (possible publication)

Planning to volunteer at UCSF this semester (interview next week) in the OR or ER. Do you think 3-6 months of volunteer would suffice?

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Jul 18, 2004
            Boston
            1. Medical Student
              NRAI2001 said:
              Planning to volunteer at UCSF this semester (interview next week) in the OR or ER. Do you think 3-6 months of volunteer would suffice?

I would think that amount of time would suffice provided that you were in the hospital 8 hours per week. And I would lean more towards the 6 month side of things versus 3 months.

erin682

10+ Year Member
              Oct 21, 2004
              Hogwarts
              1. Attending Physician
                Just remember that the average matriculant MCAT is slightly below a 30. That means that about half of the people got below a 30. I know thats obvious but its so easy so forget that plenty of people get in that are below the average. I do agree though that a nice even 30 should make you feel pretty comfortable, though there are no guarantees. Make sure you get good LORs too. That was almost my undoing.

ornis4

1K Member
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Nov 9, 2003
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  I had a 3.4 undergrad, similar grad GPA, and got a 30P (9,9,12) and I am struggling in the allopathic realm...just got my first interview invite the other day, rejected at a bunch, and have yet to hear from about 7 or 8 more. So really put the time in to ace your MCATs...I realize my GPA is my weak spot, but I truly believe a balanced 32 or so would have me singing a different tune at this stage of the game. Good luck!

brats800

cheesehead
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Apr 16, 2003
                  MadTown
                  1. Attending Physician
                    NRAI2001 said:
                    I am doubling in Public Health and MCB (molecular cell bio) at Cal Berkeley.

As for my ECs i m not sure what is considered good, but I have:
                    - a year of neurosurg research at UCSF (no publication)
                    - head TA for upper div physio course
                    - working with a professor in PH (possible publication)

Use your experiences to set you apart. explain how great the head TA experience was. i did something like that and got to say how much better i learned the material when i had to teach it well enough for others to pass the class, rather than just learn it well enough for myself to pass the class...

and the volunteering is good. when i interviewed, my only real experiences medically were 2 summers of near-full time research, a 1-week job shadow, and about 7 months of volunteering @ 4 hours/week. so if you did the volunteering for 6ish months at 4+ hours/week, i'd think you're looking golden.

NRAI2001

3K Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Nov 6, 2001
                    Cali
                      brats800 said:
                      Use your experiences to set you apart. explain how great the head TA experience was. i did something like that and got to say how much better i learned the material when i had to teach it well enough for others to pass the class, rather than just learn it well enough for myself to pass the class...

and the volunteering is good. when i interviewed, my only real experiences medically were 2 summers of near-full time research, a 1-week job shadow, and about 7 months of volunteering @ 4 hours/week. so if you did the volunteering for 6ish months at 4+ hours/week, i'd think you're looking golden.

Wow, those EC's are very similar to my own, what was ur GPA and MCAT?

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.