competitive prelims for upcoming anesthesia match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleansocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a USMG (AMG) going into anesthesia, couples matching with an IMG in the upcoming match. We are applying broadly to 5 major cities and 5 smaller places: LA, SF, Chicago, Boston, NY; Denver, Oregon, North Carolina, Rochester MN, and Phoenix.

I NEED to get into a prelim/TY program in the SAME city we end up couples matching into so that we can be together in the internship year.

I am concerned that I won't be able to interview at a lot of prelim programs in each place because I just won't have the time/resources to do that AND interview at a lot of anesthesia programs in each area.

My dean said I should be fine just interviewing at a couple of prelim programs in each location give my stats: 256 step 1, half honors / half high pass, LOR from IM clerkship director. However, I was told on a different forum that prelim programs are actually REALLY competitive, at least in LA.

What experiences do you all have with the prelim match? Do you think I need to interview at more than a couple programs per area to guarantee I get into a particular city? AND finally, for the large cities, any prelim programs you all recommend?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to maximize your chances of matching prelim in any of those cities, you could apply to prelim surgery programs in addition to the more desirable (and competitive) programs. Few prelim surgery programs at major university hospitals fill in the match.

good advice, tho it would be awful if i had to do a freakin' gen surg internship year when i'm not going into surg!

Having done my research I have found that in every city in addition to the surg prelims there are always a few medicine ones that are also undesirable(read lots of work and long hours, i.e. county hospitals etc.). With your stats you should be able to land one of those without a problem