Quantcast

Competitive residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi I was wondering what it takes SGU students to get competitive residencies? I've heard that if you are competitive enough that you can still get the residency of your choice regardless of what school you choose...so I was wondering in general for SGU grads that do get into these kind of residencies what would be considered a good approx. score on the boards and what kinds of extracurriculars or other things they do that help them obtain these residencies.
Thanks!

penguins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
sharp said:
Hi I was wondering what it takes SGU students to get competitive residencies? I've heard that if you are competitive enough that you can still get the residency of your choice regardless of what school you choose...so I was wondering in general for SGU grads that do get into these kind of residencies what would be considered a good approx. score on the boards and what kinds of extracurriculars or other things they do that help them obtain these residencies.
Thanks!

It depends on you and not the school you go to in the carib. They are mostly the same. You determine your boards scores, your LOR, your personal statement... everyone brings something different to the table.
Some carib students will be stuck with a worthless MD degree and tons of debt, others will get a residency exactly where they want, in what they want.
Boards: higher the better! You don't have to ace them contrary to popular belief to get a shot at residency being a carib grad, but it helps. Higher the better.

GAdoc

GAdoc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
penguins said:
It depends on you and not the school you go to in the carib. They are mostly the same. You determine your boards scores, your LOR, your personal statement... everyone brings something different to the table.
Some carib students will be stuck with a worthless MD degree and tons of debt, others will get a residency exactly where they want, in what they want.
Boards: higher the better! You don't have to ace them contrary to popular belief to get a shot at residency being a carib grad, but it helps. Higher the better.

penguins....sorry, I'm not replying to comment on your post...I just wanted to say that your quote is frikkin awesome! I laughed so hard. You must either be a Republican or a Libertarian....or maybe the most non-naiive Democrat in the world (i.e. one that has moved out of his parent's basement)! I'm going to quote that! Thanks for the laugh.

penguins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GAdoc said:
penguins....sorry, I'm not replying to comment on your post...I just wanted to say that your quote is frikkin awesome! I laughed so hard. You must either be a Republican or a Libertarian....or maybe the most non-naiive Democrat in the world (i.e. one that has moved out of his parent's basement)! I'm going to quote that! Thanks for the laugh.

Are you being sarcastic or can you really see the Republican inside of me through that post? :confused:

GAdoc

GAdoc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
penguins said:
Are you being sarcastic or can you really see the Republican inside of me through that post? :confused:

After re-reading that I realized that it did sound rather sarcastic. No, I'm dead serious, I love the quote. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool white, male, Southern Baptist, Republican, Conservative from Georgia rendering me a "leper" status at any med school north of the Mason-Dixon line! I just sent the quote to my dad. He loved it too. I'm glad I saw it. And good luck to you!

penguins

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GAdoc said:
After re-reading that I realized that it did sound rather sarcastic. No, I'm dead serious, I love the quote. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool white, male, Southern Baptist, Republican, Conservative from Georgia rendering me a "leper" status at any med school north of the Mason-Dixon line! I just sent the quote to my dad. He loved it too. I'm glad I saw it. And good luck to you!

Well, great. I am a female, Texan version of you.
I did some rotations in Altanta and I was considered a leper as well.
I just tell it like I see it. :D

sharp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
penguins said:
Well, great. I am a female, Texan version of you.
I did some rotations in Altanta and I was considered a leper as well.
I just tell it like I see it. :D

Hii,
Do you guyz know if you have to take any extra exams to get residencies in the US if you attend SGU besides the USMLE?? I heard if you get your degree in a foreign school you're required to take certain entrance exams even TOEFL. Are people from SGU required to take anything extra than people who get their degree in the US?

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sharp said:
Hii,
Do you guyz know if you have to take any extra exams to get residencies in the US if you attend SGU besides the USMLE?? I heard if you get your degree in a foreign school you're required to take certain entrance exams even TOEFL. Are people from SGU required to take anything extra than people who get their degree in the US?

Step 1
Two Step 2's

(Maybe Step 3 depending on your situation)

That's it.