PMR Residencies for Saint George Matriculants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

St. George's posts their residency matches on their website. Do a search there and see for yourself.

-Skip
 
I have however I have come across categories of PGY1 PGY2 PGY3. PGY1 had only three matriculants and PGY3 had over twenty matriculants. After doing some research I think an explanation could be that people transgressed from Internal medicine to PMR in their second year of residency. Based on this information you would think that graduates who do not match into a specialty would do a year of Internal medicine and reapply for a PMR spot in their second year of residency. I believe this would be beneficial to those that do not get into their desired spot as opposed to getting stuck into other residencies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also...

PM&R requires a one-year internship or transitional year before starting residency (as PGY-2). You can still match as a graduating senior into these programs. Depending on how they list it on their website, this may appear that the PGY-2 spots were not granted at the same time as graduating seniors matched. If there is any confusion, call the school.

-Skip
 
For those that get placed into Internal medicine could they become certified and after doing so go back to fulfill their obligations for PMR? I would presume that you could open up a practice as a certified Internist in order to get the ball rolling as you go back to specialize in PMR.
 
For those that get placed into Internal medicine could they become certified and after doing so go back to fulfill their obligations for PMR? I would presume that you could open up a practice as a certified Internist in order to get the ball rolling as you go back to specialize in PMR.

You would have to complete a full residency in an ACGME/ABIM program to become board-eligible in Internal Medicine. You could then go complete a second PM&R residency for a second board-certification. You would, in essence, be dually board-certified in two separate specialties. This would require additional training in terms of years as well as lost income in whichever primary specialty you chose.

I trained with a resident who was board-certified in Family Medicine before returning to get his anesthesia training. He could no longer stomach the thought of writing Viagra prescriptions nearly full-time. He ended-up being boarded in both FP and Anesthesiology. He did not have to repeat an internship year (i.e., thus shortening his anesthesiology training by a little) because he got credit for his FP training.

-Skip
 
@Skip Intro I have never understood why not have only categorical spots in the match... I heard that one has to reapply after doing 1 year internship or a transitional year... What is the logic behind that? I am a MS1 and I am not familiar too much with the match...
 
@Skip Intro I have never understood why not have only categorical spots in the match... I heard that one has to reapply after doing 1 year internship or a transitional year... What is the logic behind that? I am a MS1 and I am not familiar too much with the match...

This is not true.

You interview for both PGY-1 and PGY-2 spots during your 4th year of medical school. You have to select both programs and go on interviews for each. But, when it comes time to fill out your rank list, you "link" your PGY-1 and PGY-2 spots together. And, you match into whichever both match you.

It will make more sense when you get to that point. Don't worry about that now. Focus on getting into a good program that will help you secure your dreams.

-Skip