competitive residencies

Started by gibna
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gibna

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am hearing alot that top tier graduates have an advantage over lower tier graduates when applying to medical schools. Could this advantage be eliminated if the guy graduating from a lower tier school got a PhD with their MDs.
 
Originally posted by gibna
I am hearing alot that top tier graduates have an advantage over lower tier graduates when applying to medical schools.

When applying to med schools, or residencies?
 
Residencies, top tier being top 10 medical schools, and lower tier being around 50 - 80 most selective medical school
 
Originally posted by gibna
I am hearing alot that top tier graduates have an advantage over lower tier graduates when applying to medical schools. Could this advantage be eliminated if the guy graduating from a lower tier school got a PhD with their MDs.

it sounds like you meant whether or not md/ph.d helps when applying to residencies, not medical schools.

I'd say, yes it helps. Many things help. Like being AOA, or having a great rack. But you have to ask yourself...is it worth the extra 3-4 years? Something you gotta figure out for yourself.