Competitiveness of Cardiology and IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm still in my pre-clinical years but I have begun to narrow my speciality interests. I plan on pursuing interventional radiology or invasive/interventional cardiology.

Since these are both fellowship specific (IM-cards and DR-IR) I am having a hard time finding data regarding the stats required for these fellowships.

I know cardiology is a competitive fellowship, but just how competitive? Should I be aiming to match to a top IM residency? Or will a middle of the road suffice?

The same goes for IR. I know DR res isn't competitive generally, but as IR gets more competitive, should I be aiming for a top DR residency so that I will be able to land a fellowship?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on how well I need to score on step 1 and how productive my research needs to be to make myself a viable candidate for these fields.

And if you had to compare between the two, which one is will be more difficult to match into?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I'm still in my pre-clinical years but I have begun to narrow my speciality interests. I plan on pursuing interventional radiology or invasive/interventional cardiology.

Since these are both fellowship specific (IM-cards and DR-IR) I am having a hard time finding data regarding the stats required for these fellowships.

I know cardiology is a competitive fellowship, but just how competitive? Should I be aiming to match to a top IM residency? Or will a middle of the road suffice?

The same goes for IR. I know DR res isn't competitive generally, but as IR gets more competitive, should I be aiming for a top DR residency so that I will be able to land a fellowship?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on how well I need to score on step 1 and how productive my research needs to be to make myself a viable candidate for these fields.

And if you had to compare between the two, which one is will be more difficult to match into?

Thanks!
Cardiology data from the latest NRMP if you're a US MD grad:

Cardiology
U.S. Grads 482/537 matched (89.8%)

If you go to a middle of the road academic IM residency, which you can achieve with an average CV including average Step 1 score, you should be able to match cards somewhere. Just be a good resident, do some research, do cards electives, get good LORs.

Last edited:
DR has become increasingly competitive the last few years, especially at 'academic' and 'big name' institutions, nothing like 10 years ago but more competitive than a few years ago.

That being said, as someone that's a current IR resident..I would strongly advise to not go into DR. With integrated IR/DR, there will be VERY limited IR 'fellowship' type positions left in the next 5 years. The best way to go is apply directly into IR/DR - I believe this will eventually make up all of the IR spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
DR has become increasingly competitive the last few years, especially at 'academic' and 'big name' institutions, nothing like 10 years ago but more competitive than a few years ago.

That being said, as someone that's a current IR resident..I would strongly advise to not go into DR. With integrated IR/DR, there will be VERY limited IR 'fellowship' type positions left in the next 5 years. The best way to go is apply directly into IR/DR - I believe this will eventually make up all of the IR spots.

Isn't DR/IR extremely competitive? Like moreso than derm or neurosurg due to the lack of spots?

Also, what type of step score would be considered competitive for the DR/IR programs? HAvent found that info anywhere but I would assume it's very high

Cardiology data from the latest NRMP if you're a US MD grad:

Cardiology
U.S. Grads 482/537 matched (89.8%)

If you go to a middle of the road academic IM residency, which you can achieve with an average CV including average Step 1 score, you should be able to match cards somewhere. Just be a good resident, do some research, do cards electives, get good LORs.

Thank you! Appreciate the insight, I like those odds

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't DR/IR extremely competitive? Like moreso than derm or neurosurg due to the lack of spots?

Also, what type of step score would be considered competitive for the DR/IR programs? HAvent found that info anywhere but I would assume it's very high
250-ish.