Competitiveness of Chicago Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a med student who's been exploring certain fields that I'm interested in, but I want to return to Chicago (I'm currently at a out of state med school) for personal reasons. I was just wondering, how competitive are Chicago programs? According to 2011 NRMP data, the average Step 1 score for Anes is 226, but I know this is no longer accurate. There are 7 programs in Chicago, but are they a good mix of hard relatively less difficult programs to enter, or are they all really tough to get into? Would an average applicant (according to NRMP data) have a good shot at one of the Chicago programs? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a med student who's been exploring certain fields that I'm interested in, but I want to return to Chicago (I'm currently at a out of state med school) for personal reasons. I was just wondering, how competitive are Chicago programs? According to 2011 NRMP data, the average Step 1 score for Anes is 226, but I know this is no longer accurate. There are 7 programs in Chicago, but are they a good mix of hard relatively less difficult programs to enter, or are they all really tough to get into? Would an average applicant (according to NRMP data) have a good shot at one of the Chicago programs? Thanks for any help.
Number wise its DOable but its kind of like med school over again. The entire process is very unpredictable. You can do everything right and not even get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's kind of a crap shoot.. i had step 1 >250 and step 2 > 260 and NW showed me no love. Your loss NW, ya hear that?!

Anyways, you should be fine. Good luck!

it's kind of a crap shoot.. i had step 1 >250 and step 2 > 260 and NW showed me no love. Your loss NW, ya hear that?!

Anyways, you should be fine. Good luck!
They probably expected you not to rank them high, hence they did not waste time on you.

Reactions: 1 user
given rushgate and wildcatgate... im sure you will have no problem getting a spot in chicago..
Has there been a lot of controversy? I'm just ting to see what the competitive landscape of Chicago is.

What the hell is rushgate and wildcatgate?

given rushgate and wildcatgate... im sure you will have no problem getting a spot in chicago..
Don't forget UofCgate... I'm sure you could find dirt on most programs if you search the catacombs of SDN long enough

Any info on the relative competitiveness of these programs?

Thanks for that doc.

Anyone have any info on the competitiveness of UIC and Advocate's programs?

Thanks for that doc.

Anyone have any info on the competitiveness of UIC and Advocate's programs?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1419952242.246011.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, and this is just a curiosity point, but it seems like Cook County's program is made up of all foreign and carib grad residents. Is there a reason for this?

BTW, and this is just a curiosity point, but it seems like Cook County's program is made up of all foreign and carib grad residents. Is there a reason for this?

Do you really need someone else to answer this for you?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you really need someone else to answer this for you?
I have a hunch, obviously, but I don't want to make any assumptions. Is there something wrong with the program that makes US MD's avoid it, or is it just some preference in the program?

I have a hunch, obviously, but I don't want to make any assumptions. Is there something wrong with the program that makes US MD's avoid it, or is it just some preference in the program?

I think you can toss the "program preference" right off the bat. I wouldn't imagine that there are any PDs out there chomping at the bit to fill their programs with FMGs and Caribbean grads. The NMRP algorithm is a proposal driven algorithm, so it stands to reason that MDs didn't want to go there.

As for what makes those particular programs less desirable, I'm not sure. I didn't interview at either of those programs.

Last edited:

Rush

I think you can toss the "program preference" right off the bat. I wouldn't imagine that there are any PDs out there chomping at the bit to fill their programs with FMGs and Caribbean grads. The NMRP algorithm is a proposal driven algorithm, so it stands to reason that MDs didn't want to go there.

As for what makes those particular programs less desirable, I'm not sure. I didn't interview at either of those programs.
It's really incredible to see, though. The vast majority of the program is FMG and Carib grads, but like you said, I guess we don't know what or if anything is wrong with the program.

Deleted - Thought this was in the EM forum haha