competitiveness of neurology residencies in california/nyc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenshin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as a med student at a top 10-25 med school with a 216 step 1 and just starting out my third year, do i have a solid shot at getting a neurology residency in california/nyc? i'm aware that the west coast is typically more competitive due to its location, but i'm originally from there and would like to be closer to family. as for nyc, i have a good support network there and currently go to school in the area, so i could see myself remaining there as well. i'm also 100% set on neurology, having done my share of shadowing/clinical work with neurologists in undergrad and just loving the field so far based on my first 2 years of schooling. i'm a california resident and went to undergrad in the uc system, if that factors into it at all.

also, if this thread is inappropriate, i won't take it personally if it's deleted by the mods :( in which case i apologize pre-emptively (please don't ban me). thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I have gained anything, it's +1 to vocabulary. Will use in my A&P one day.

True, CA residencies probably get ranked higher because of geography, however, there are many, and not all are created equal. UC Davis, UCI, UCLA Harbor, Loma Linda, and Kaiser in LA are known to be less competitive than some of the others, and I'm sure you'd get decent training at any of them. Not sure about Cedars in terms of competition, since it's so new, but I've heard there are a lot of big names coming to the program. Look into the programs and think about doing aways (and rocking them).

thanks for the input radfish! i appreciate it and will look particularly into away options!