Compiled Step one Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a thread to post individual step 1 experiences. Like what was on it, how you felt going into it, what books you used, what was helpfull, what was not. Basically anything you think would be helpfull to other students. Post your own thread so that you can get the congratulations you deserve and answer any questions, but please just cut and paste that experience onto this thread so it will be around for years. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hi everyone who have taken the test,

first off, congrats for taking the beast. i'm jealous of you, whomever you are! anyway, i have 1 week left til the exam. I've done the usual: FA, listened to Goljan (he is The Man!!!) many times, Q-bank (75% on full-length, 70-85% on random blocks), working on Q-book, Rapid Review biochem/Path and corresponding Q's, almost done with Robbin's questions, HY Molbio cuz I don't like "little things", HY Neuroanatomy, random other HY's, and NBME #4 (score:650).

From what I read here, it sounds like the experiences vary quite a bit in terms of the perceived difficulty of the exam. I'm wondering if there is a wide disparity in terms of difficulty between different forms (?) Or is it just a disparity that came up as a consequence of the level of preparation/nervousness? I hope it's the latter. If not, I'm crossing my fingers for the easier forms... If someone "up there" is listening, pretty please can I have one of the easier forms...? Thanks...

-emily

emily69 said:

first off, congrats for taking the beast. i'm jealous of you, whomever you are! anyway, i have 1 week left til the exam. I've done the usual: FA, listened to Goljan (he is The Man!!!) many times, Q-bank (75% on full-length, 70-85% on random blocks), working on Q-book, Rapid Review biochem/Path and corresponding Q's, almost done with Robbin's questions, HY Molbio cuz I don't like "little things", HY Neuroanatomy, random other HY's, and NBME #4 (score:650).

From what I read here, it sounds like the experiences vary quite a bit in terms of the perceived difficulty of the exam. I'm wondering if there is a wide disparity in terms of difficulty between different forms (?) Or is it just a disparity that came up as a consequence of the level of preparation/nervousness? I hope it's the latter. If not, I'm crossing my fingers for the easier forms... If someone "up there" is listening, pretty please can I have one of the easier forms...? Thanks...

-emily

wow you're gonna do phenomenomenomenal... Good luck!

**cough**gunner**cough**

Kidding :D You're going to do well with that level of effort.
emily69 said:

-emily

Members don't see this ad :)
thackl said:
**cough**gunner**cough**

Kidding :D You're going to do well with that level of effort.

thanks guys! Positive thinking will hopefully get me guessing well on some of the weirder questions :)

Just got the lectures today (MSI 2 weeks away from a very short summer), anyways got 5 days of Goljan lectures
also got a 100 page PDF of Goljan notes
and a 36 page PDF of golgan notes
and finally is 68 page bunch of questions from 2003

NOW HOW HELPFUL ARE THESE RESOURCES?????

Im a class rep and I was going to put everything on a CD for my class
(dont worry all of us are really non-competitive and no one here wants to do dermatology besides me anyways ahahahaha :laugh:

thanks

izzy

I wish i was in a class like yours. It's funny to think that when i started med school, i thought i was entering a class like this--how naive i was then

IzzyMD09 said:
Just got the lectures today (MSI 2 weeks away from a very short summer), anyways got 5 days of Goljan lectures

(dont worry all of us are really non-competitive and no one here wants to do dermatology besides me anyways ahahahaha :laugh:

thanks

izzy

hey izzy,

I'm a big fan of Goljan, though I was skeptical at first. Goljan is good for integrating across various systems and disciplines. He is particularly good for pathophysiology especially endocrine, fluid/hemodynamics, and anything with arrows going up and down...
It's full of fairly high yield stuff, but above all, it's a nice way to break up your study time between reading and doing practice questions. His lectures serve as another perspective on the same material that you already know somewhere in the back of your mind. Many perspectives = better understanding of the material. Plus he gives you hints on how the USMLE might phrase questions. He also has a dorky sense of humor that I find endearing in a grandpa kind of way :) He's good for supplementing other review books.
I think it would have been fairly helpful to have them during my second year, but it's definitely not too late to use them for Boards studying after year 2. It would have perhaps been nice to have them before the year two final exam. Dunno anything on the other materials you mentioned because I don't have them. I have Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology book (follows his lectures really well), which I heard is similar to his HY notes. I think it's a decent alternative to BRS Path, which is okay but not my style...

enjoy the rest of your summer!

IzzyMD09 said:

thanks

izzy

IzzyMD09 said:

thanks

izzy

Just keep in mind that all that material is probably copyrighted. You might get in trouble for this - schools have a thing about posting copyrighted material.

edik said:
Just keep in mind that all that material is probably copyrighted. You might get in trouble for this - schools have a thing about posting copyrighted material.

Just took it! Thank goodness it's over. I would say half the exam I knew pretty well... 33% I guessed on and about 12% of the questions were written in a foreign language that was in no way shape or form related to medicine, health care, or related fields.

As I remember important points, I'll post them. For now, I'll say that Goljan high yield 100 pages was the most complete and accurate resource I've seen. Know that and score a 250... I'm not a BS'er and I'm only giving you based on my 350 ?'s, but I'd say about 325 of my 350 were answerable from Goljan HY.

2008md said:
-You should know the different classes of receptors (tyrosine kinase, G-pns, steroid, etc.), how they work, and what receptors are in each class. I would also know the 3 main classes of Gpns (Gq, Gs, Gi) I made mnemonics for the ones I didn’t know and then scribbled them on my eraser board as soon as I got there. Sure enough, I got 5 or so q’s on these. They were easy if you had memorized them. One of the last chapters of HY cell and molec is really good at this.

I've seen this stuff (receptor classes and mechanisms) mentioned quite a few times recently... Is HY C&M pretty much the golden source of info for this topic, or is there somewhere else to look?

Thanks!

BRS Phys also has a section on receptor classes/mechanisms at the beginning of the endocrine section

Ok, so I took step 1 today. Excuse the nonsense that will follow but I've had very little sleep, a very long day, and I want to post before this whole experience vanishes from my mind.

First of all, thanks to all of you who helped me through this ordeal, and who clarified every little detail of even the simplest question that I missed.

Best advice I can give you: go over all the NBMEs in detail (bold is not enough to stress the importance of this type of preparation). The questions on the real thing are very similar. Even though they're not exactly the same, they sort of prepare you for what's in store. What people say about 3rd-order reasoning is just that...just like the NBMEs. Some questions were very similar to NBME questions. I must admit that I simply hate Qbank and don't think it's a good use of our money whatsoever. It concentrates on minutiae and doesn't prepare you for the 3-level reasoning. Think about it....wouldn't you rather have sample questions from the people who actually wrote the exam?

As for my preparation: I didn't pay much attention or cared enough during the first 2 years of med school, except for neuro...my love :love:
That means that I wasn't prepared to take this exam at all. Most of my learning came out of FA, BRS physio, and BRS path. Obviously I couldn't memorize every detail of FA, but that wasn't necessary for the bulk of the exam. Again, going over the NBMEs gave me the confidence I needed to go in and have a good time seating and thinking through 7 hours of pretty hard questions.

Best advice: go over every single NBME. I didn't have enough time to do all of them, but I'm glad to have done most of 1 and 2.

2nd best advice: believe in yourself! You got to med school, survived 2 years of tons of disconnected info, and now are trying to put everything together. The best way to prove to yourself how much you know is to go over NBMEs (1 and 2 links provided in this forum). Try answering the questions by yourself at first, then look at FA or other source, and only then check other people's answers posted on this forum. That will force you to reason through it. You'll be glad you did!

The exam wasn't that bad. I only got a few hours' sleep the night before, but was pretty wired this morning. I was pretty nervous at first, but it all dissipated within 10-15 minutes into the test. I took 2 blocks straight...break for 10 minutes...2 blocks...break for 30 minutes....2 blocks...10-minute-break....1 block and all DONE!!! I tried going over some FA stuff during my breaks, mostly my weak areas, but I simply couldn't absorb any more info. My brain was saturated. Once you start the exam, you realize that it's not about the little details....the big picture is what was emphasized. Sure I needed to know some detail every now and then, but that wasn't the bulk of the exam.

Beware: step 1 is a thinking test. Be sure you can reason things out. It's not a regurgitation exam. I actually enjoyed being there every single minute of it. I sure didn't know a lot of stuff but that didn't phase me. I went in prepared for not being able to answer a bunch of questions. Advice #3: be prepared to deal with the fact that you won't know a lot of the stuff on the exam. That's not a big deal....remember that you may miss 105 questions (experimental) and still get a perfect score. I obviously missed more than that (you know that if you've been helping me out with NBME questions on this forum), but I was prepared for that. I didn't let it get to me. I was happy to be there and show what I know...the rest, meaning the score, I'll deal with when the time comes. Right now, I'm really happy to have enjoyed taking this test and to have put it behind me, hopefully (keep your fingers crossed!).

What was on my test: tons and tons and tons of molecular and cell bio. Some of the questions you could narrow down to 2 answers, but others were absolutely impossible for me to decipher. Every single one of those I deemed experimental (maybe inappropriately so), which helped me maintain my confidence. I got a bit of gout, not too much biochem, lots of asthma drugs, antibiotics (not my forte whatsoever!), quite a bit of anatomy, tons of neuro, and pretty straight forward path for the most part (path questions were about the same difficulty as in the NBMEs).

I don't remember too much more but shoot me any questions. I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally I can add to this thread myself.
I felt my exam was actually pretty well-balanced, with the following exceptions: a lot of (basic) neuroanatomy, with pt's having B12 def., tabes, W-K Syndrome, Huntington, etc. and I had to point out the area on a cord/brain section. I think I had almost 20 questions like that. On the other hand, there was no embryo (that made me very happy).
Here are some points that I suspect might work for many other people:
1) Know your mol. bio. The questions tends to be pretty simple, but one needs to think thru several steps. A lot of the time, they are not even knowledge-based, but simply test your ability to deduct. The problem is that takes TIME, so a science/research background helps alot. Anyway, I don't think HY Mol. bio. would be enough for my test.
2) Know your anatomy. I felt that almost all the q's on anatomy I got concerned neuro (see above), and nerves in the extremities.
3) Read Goljan's HY notes, if you don't have time to listen to him. I read only 1/2 of it, but I got a number of "trick" questions that he answered. Wish I read the whole thing.
4) Behavioral science is a must! Yes, the questions are simple but extremely ambiguous. The same for statistics (again, simple, but take a lot of time, if you need to derive things)
5) Pathology...that was my nemesis...a lot of the time. Just know it. Same goes for pharm.
6) Read about important things that were on the exam (and that you were unsure about)! The questions DO repeat, albeit not verbatim. I got a question about what enzyme is necessary for activation of the 1st line HSV drug (Th. kinase) 2 times (the only difference was that one was a male and one was a female pt). There were more repeats like that.
7) Time runs out faster than when you do practice tests. I always felt comfortable with the 60min, but during the exam, I'd read every q much more carefully, and contemplate over even the simplest questions (just in case there is a trick somewhere). So I always ended very tight...and I think that was one of my biggest mistakes (no time to review marked questions).
8) Don't be fooled by qbank. I can say I felt very comfortable answering qbank questions and was getting mid-80s, lower 90s on my blocks 1 week before the exam. The actual test was a cold surprise. I think qbank covers a lot of bizzare topics, e.g. in microbiology, but doesn't go too deep into some common topics. I happen to know a lot of bizzare microbiology, so I got almost all the qbank questions on the said topic right. However, if there was 1, maybe 2 "weird" bugs on my usmle, it was a lot. Instead, I wish I knew more about MI's, COPD, etc.
9) I know that a lot of people recommend NBME's. I agree in that they give you an excellent idea of how the test looks like. Quite simply, they look the same. Also, I got some questions that were very similar to those on the NBME's. That said, I felt that some of my USMLE blocks were considerably harder than the NBME's...so don't get carried away, if you do well (like I did).
10) Good luck.

Violinrose said:
In Goljan's lectures, he once remarked that the test writers put questions on the exam stemming from their own lives. If that is the case, then my exam had a whole lotta writers with erectile dysfunction.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My exam had a good representation of material from each discipline and organ system. I wish I had known ahead of time how quickly the break time would go.. especially if you are signing in/out after each section, getting stuff from your locker, eating, and reading over missed questions. I spent too much time on this in the beginning, and by the end of the day, I only was able to take time for visiting the washroom, and not for studying (which can help since I did get a repeat question on naming an enzyme defect, as well as repeat scenarios asking about different aspects).

It seemed that most of the questions were straightforward - either you knew the name of the protein/mechanism/syndrome, or you didn't. Our (Canadian) school's exams are mostly of the figure-out-the-diagnosis-from-the-clinical-info variety, so those types of questions didn't stand out as much, versus those that you couldn't think through. Often the clinical scenario was only tangentially related to the question asked at the end, so whenever faced with a long paragraph, I would skip to the end and read the question first.

Not too many off-the-wall questions; there were only a few that I didn't think I could locate if I went through all of my review books. That's not to say I found the exam easy; just from flipping through First Aid, I know there was a whole bunch of simple recall questions I missed since the material failed to fully make its way from the page into my brain.

Contrary to popular wisdom, I didn't think that the 150 released questions were any easier than the NBME forms.. both were pretty similar to the actual exam. Goljan audio was excellent for making concepts and pathologies stick.. for the first time in medical school, I feel like I am retaining material from each organ system (instead of forgetting everything promptly after the block exam). The only thing that tripped me up was the polyarteritis nodosa and p-ANCA item that was previously discussed. I read through the 36 pg high yield.. it reads like a list of remembered questions, and I don't remember anything specifically from it appearing on my exam, except for the vitamin deficiencies stuff that is the same as that in Rapid Review anyway. I didn't have time to read the 100 pg high yield, but it looks like a version of FA in itself.

i remembered all kinds of things about my test until i got on a plane to vegas two days afterwards...

congrats if you're done, good luck if you're still fighting the good fight (or at least trying to) :luck:

anyway, i had this question. it was either an ethics or a psych scenario, i don't remember anymore. all i remember is reading it, rubbing my eyes, opening them again, and seeing that it was still there, and then sat there thinking wtf for 5 minutes. it was the only really off-the-wall question i had - not in terms of difficulty, but in terms of sheer absuridity. a friend of mine had this question as well, and of course, can't remember what it was anymore either. if this sounds familiar to you at all, pm me. seriously. i'd really like to know what this was. :)

other random thoughts -
1) right now, 1+ month after my exam and no score, i'm very glad i took one of the NBME exams. peace of mind is a good thing. well, relative peace of mind.
2.) first aid was a major chore for me. i'm glad i slogged through it, but the factoid format felt tedious and unproductive. as others have said, step 1 is a thinking test. sure, there is minutiae, but it needs to be integrated into two years of basic science foundation in order to stick. i was not the best student, but i learned enough for this to happen. so if you hate first aid, it does actually work on test day like everyone says it does. keep the faith. :)
3.) no ear plugs or watches allowed at prometric sites. don't accidentally erase your ID number on your dry erase board like i did. bring layers, but know that you'll only be able to take things on or off during breaks.

hey anyone else get the "insestigator" question? I'm guessing it was a typo, but I couldn't help but burst out laughing and get thrown off for a couple of minutes.

Overall impression: not as bad as I had thought, though maybe that's because I'm supressing my memory of all the quesitons I had absolutely no idea on and just guessed...yea, that's more likely the case...

Thought the NBME practice exams and the 150 released items were easier, though I remember seeing 2 or 3 questions that were nearly identical to some practice exam questions.

I often couldn't tell if the question was as straight fwd as it seemed, or if I was just falling for the distractor....
Lots of extraneous information...most questions could be reasoned through, with a handful of gimme's and a large handful of WTFs.

Is the 6 week turnaround for scores pretty accurate?

Overall not as bad as I was expecting...but it was by no means easy.
I don't think any one subject was significantly over or under represented on my exam. If I had to rank it:
Histo< embryo< cell bio/biochem = behavioral = anatomy = microbiology < pharm < physio < < < < path/pathophys.

I was surprised at how little pharm I got and the amount of anatomy that I got - epecially neuro anatomy (HY neuro anatomy saved my @ss). Of the systems, repro and resp were all over my exam (I'm sure his was completely by chance, but it serously seemed like every question stem started with a 60 year old smoker with a cough/weight loss/lesion on CXR or a 28 year old unable to conceive/bleeding irregularly).

I didn't have any questions HLA associations, glycogen storage diseases, lysosomal storage diseases (actually i had 1), helminths, tumor suppressor/onco gene associations, or disease/chromosome associations...all of whch i spent the day before cramming.

I literally hand 2-3 questions per block about direct or indirect hernias (either embryo or anatomy). Weird.

As far as preparing:
FA was great- there was very little on my test that wasn't in first aid...I hated using first aid to study from though b/c it was rather disorganzed and had a lot of errors, but in my last days of reviewing it was priceless.

In general I used the HY books for the low yield subjects. (behavioral, anatomy, embryo, neuroanatomy,cell bio) ...behavioral & neuro were great, anatomy was worthless, embryo was overkill.

Rapid review Biochem was great...my exam really didn't have a lot of biochem though.

RR Path was also great. Goljan Audio plus his RR book was unbelievable...It helped me really understand mechanisms of disease, which is crucial to answering USMLE questions. Pathophysiology for boards and wards is also another book that was great at integrating concepts.

I used Clinical micro made simple and BRS physio...both of which were great.
I didn't find any decent pham books...I ended up using a combination of lippencotts, pharm for boards and wards and BRS. In the end, I definitely think FA was enough for pharm.

QBank - great for getting used to the style of questions asked, but over all too detailed. The actual exam focused on understanding basic concepts and being able to apply those concepts...where as many Q bank questions focused on minutaie.

Scores in mail today.
264/99 :cool:

Prep:
DO WELL IN FIRST TWO YEARS
First Aid (not the end all be all, but a good start, and a nice security blanket)
QBank (all but 150 questions completed, 85%, random questions always...for me, I think this was the best prep)
BRS Path (great)
Robbins review of pathology (done with course work, and again during board prep.... GREAT... if you do well on this, you will have no touble with USMLE path, IMHO)
BRS Phys (also great)
HY Neuroanatomy (master the brain stem lesions)
HY Behavioral Science (great book)
HY Anatomy (overkill, I think I should have just reviewed pics in netter)
HY Embryology (way overkill)
Microbiology made Ridiculously Simple (perfect for what I needed)
Lippincott Biochem (yes, I reread it, and there was a LOT of biochem on my exam... very worth it, especially for the nutrition section)

Pharm: Just finished course at my school, cumulative final, so didn't study for USMLE
Didn't look at molecular bio or histology, but was stong in those anyway.

Thanks to all who contributed to this site and this thread, I found it all very helpful, shout out to BigFrank for his guidance via forum posts.

DN

one word of advice for when you walk out of the exam: don't sweat it if you get a lot of questions wrong, you could still do well. after i took my own exam, the questions i had trouble with were seared into my brain, so i went home and looked up the answers to about 10 questions, all of which i got WRONG (and most of which i had answered right before i chose to change to a wrong answer. f*ck you calsequestrin, you bastard! yes, i'm still bitter about that question). needless to say, that freaked me out.

4 weeks later and it turns out i scored beyond my expectations. so my advice to new post-testers is to just go home and get drunk. let the alcohol erase all that irrelevant step I crap from your brain and don't worry about it till you get your score back. you'll feel much better w/o worrying about the ones you got wrong, trust me.

It's been a while since a post was added to this thread but I thought since i'm one day post-exam I would share my experience, generally echoing the sentiments expressed above.

One thing I thought coming out of the exam, talking with a few friends of mine, was that if someone asked me how to prepare for this exam I would be at a loss for explanation. Hard work? Not cramming? So here I'll just let my fingers go with a stream of consciousness, if it helps fantastic if not then scroll on by...

1. The seven blocks on my exam hit every topic, I think it was a fair and challenging assesment of the work I've put in so far in medical school.

2. FA: I could only count 10-15 questions that were not mentioned in first aid soemwhere. A lot of people have expressed that "nothing in my exam was in First Aid", I contend that those people didn't know FA absolutely cold. First Aid is an absolute gold mine and I would highly highly recommend buying it the first day of medical school and knowing it cold before beginning the step one study. In retrospect, the morning of the exam I flipped through first aid and there were still a few topics I was not familiar with, they unfortunately came up in my exam and I couldn't help thinking that if I had started reviewing with FA under my belt I would have whooped the exam. Of course, to be efficient FA does require background knowledge to draw the lines in between the points...that's the reality of a review book right?

4. There were a few WTF questions, but not too many. There were a lot more of the simple questions you thought you knew but they took the concept that extra step past assumed knowledge. One area I found that took the most concentration on the exam was the molecular biology section, and after taking the exam I feel that one could know absolutely nothing about MolBio to get through the questions, they don't require posteriori knowledge but require time and concentration...when the clock is ticking and you have to code out an mRNA strand or sort through a 15 lane RFLP analysis that's connected to a 6 generation pedigree a small bead of sweat develops on the brow. If you don't speak the mol bio language and haven't yet heard of DNA or are confused on the difference between a southern and northern or southwestern blot then it may be a good idea to spend an afternoon with HY Cell and Molecular Biology...but if you have a degree in the sciences you're probably better off spending the time in another subject.

5. The questions on the exam were most similar to the NBME exams (obviously); and in addition I thought the Pre-Test clinical vignettes book (orange) and USMLERx question bank were briliiant. So this leads me to...

My prep:
Reviewed for about 6 weeks over the summer, two light weeks in the begining to purchase books and listen to goljan and four heavy weeks averaging about 10h per day. In general my biggest recommendation for tearing through the exam is to work hard throughout the first two years so that the review books work as review books and not substantive text. There's little point in reading BRS Pathology, which is basically a book a statements if you haven't worked through your pathology course and understood the concepts. Another thing I thought worked well in my prep was setting a background goal that had nothing to do with step 1, what worked for me was the gym. It's easy to get into a rut when studying for this exam, if you underachieve on a series of Qbank blocks or an NBME exam the stress can add up. For me it was nice to have the daily fitness outlet, something to look forward to before or (sometimes and) after a full day of studying.

When I was 4 weeks out I made a schedule to stick to throughout the prep...I just sat down with FA started marking off chapters, adding them to my calendar until I had four days left in the end which I left blank for "intense" review. My basic day was a morning of 150-200 questions and review of quesionts from various sources (Kaplan Qbank, USMLE Rx, Pretest Clinical Vignettes, Boardbusters USMLE Step 1, Robbin's Review of Pathology, etc). After I would spend the day reviewing the subject from first aid and after I could write the chapter out from memory I would move to build on high yield concepts in review books (mostly from the high yield series). In the evenings I would try to devote an hour to reading Goljan 100pp or listen to a lecture (Windows MP is great because you can listen to him at 2x speed).

Resources:

1. Goljan - Listened to his audio over the last year, not consistently but if I was on a long bus ride or walk...and barring his tangents I thought it was a brilliant review of pathology for the exam. He definitely clued me in early to the importance of knowing why instead of what, know why and you'll kill the exam because it takes time to know why, knowing what is much easier. The other Goljan resource I thought helped was his 100pp notes that i received from a friend...I would say these notes covered 75-80% of my step 1 exam, no joke.

2. Kaplan Qbank - Finished Qbank in the spring, middle of june. Thought this was a great resource for annotating First Aid, not a great resource to use right before the exam. After working through the some odd 2000+ questions on Qbank with full annotation of my FA I was ready to begin studying...the questions themselves covered the basic concepts and some really small print stuff (like the Haverhill and Soduko types of rat bite fever, I mean come on!) This made it great for addiing to the well of knowledge but I could imagine that if I was being bludgened with such material before my exam I could lose confidence.

3. USMLERx - Absolutely brilliant for use the month of the exam. I found the questions in here to be written quite similar to the real exam questions and to be of similar difficulty. Since most everything (85%) is already in first aid, you don't do much annotating but you get to see whether you know FA well or not. I found my averages to be higher (low to mid 80's on random 50s) for USMLERx than Kaplan (mid to upper 70s), however that could be because I used USMLERx later in my study.

4. Useful books -

HY series (Neuroanatomy (a must), Microbiology (concise, need to know info), Immunology (per above), Embryology (if you have time it helps pull concepts together and is great for pregnancy milestones, development etc though my exam did not express >3-5 embryo questions), Histology (a lot of people slag this book but I thought it was great to read in a day...it pulls the concepts together and has a slew of common pictures (Gap junctions, Desmosomes, etc) that come up in the exam).

Questions Robbins Review of Path excellent to use during your medical school course, great for learning how to quickly read through clinical cases and to get familiar with abnormal lab studies (PT, PTT, Calcium, Hb, etc)...i think it was this resource that enabled me not to have to use the lab resource on the real exam and saved time...plus the explanations are excellent. Pretest Clinical Vignettes - this book has 1 full length exam in it and I got the idea from Long Dong after he posted his score I thought it would be good to do it as a correlation...I thought the questions in this book were similar in difficulty, language, and concept depth as the Step 1. NMS Question Book - useless, too detailed. Boardbusters - a nice book for more questions, organized by systems with a pharmacology chapter and a full length exam something like 1400 questions in all...good for the money!

5. NBME exams...excellent, awesome, a must. Not only as a series of checkpoints, these exams represent the real exam format identically...from the layout to the style and difficulty this is the best $180 you can spend (plus the $30 for FA0 in preparing for the exam. I did all four, one per week until one week before the exam and completed them in the 1 - 4 - 3 - 2 order...I would say 3 is the most conceptually difficult and 2 has the most "damn I forgot that" questions. These tests are nice, however one thing I didn't like was the "artificial" confidence at getting a "predicted score", somehow I think this took away from the fire of preparation. When you're two or three weeks out and you have a 240+ it's tough to sit inside and study on sunny days...I always came back to the fact that if I failed step 1 the residency director at MGH isn't going to care if I bring in my four 240+ NBME forms.

Last point - listen to some great music on the way to the exam, have a good breakfast and pack some snacks! This was extremely long winded and it's probable that my rambling is unintelligible or that I made many typos but hey...post step-1 withdrawal

Congrats for finally getting through the exam. I'm sure you'll be posting your ridiculously high score a month from now. All that hard work has to pay off some way right?
I am doing Goljan right now and you mentioned his 100pp notes. Is that any better than his 500+pp general/systemic path notes which follows his audio?
Thanks JackP and congrats...

I'm not familiar with the 500pp, but if you're just in M2 and have the time then it would be good to use following along with your pathology course. He has a textbook out, STARS...big copper text...I read through a few of those chapters during my school term and found his style rewarding in comparison to the dry Robbins text. Basically, if you have the time then I'm sure the 500pp will only do you good; however if you're a month out toss it and know the 100pp cold as an addendum to your other studies...my recommendation of course.

Score: 232/94
I was extremely pleased with that score. Here's my story.

I am going to give an incredibly lengthy review of what I did to prepare, so feel free to read on if you have the time. I really found it helpful to look at the scores that other people had on practice tests and things like that (even though I have come to realize that those numbers seem to have little correlation). I will also give you an idea of my study schedule and try to discuss the pros or cons of the books and other resources that I used and what I would have done differently.

Stats That Might or Might Not Be of Use:
SAT: 1360
MCAT: 30
Med School GPA: 3.37 after first two years (on a typical 4.0 scale)
Med School class rank: not sure because we only see avg scores for exams but most likely borderline top third
Med School: unranked state school in the south (US News doesn't even have me on their radar)
Pathology NBME shelf: 92nd percentile (7 weeks before Step 1)
Clinical Diagnosis NBME shelf: 99th percentile (6 weeks before Step 1)
QBank scores: all questions were in random timed blocks of 50
62% on first 300 questions (4.5 wks before)
71% on final 300 questions (2 days before)
65% overall after finishing 53% of the total available questions
Free released 150 questions: 74% (1 wk before)

Overall Schedule:
roughly 8.5 weeks
My school gave us 1.5 wks off at the end of the semester before our final exams. Final exams included cumulative Path and ICD shelf tests and a Pharm final, so I consider that final exam studying to be part of my Step 1 review. I had 2.5 wks of final exam studying and review, took half a week off, and then had about 5 weeks left of pure Step 1 review.

Week 1: mostly studying for Path shelf test I used three main sources -- 8-10 hrs/day
BRS Path one time through in detail (I also used it for half the year during class)
Robbins question book (about 2/3 of the questions -- some were done during the year for class exams also)
relevant areas in First Aid 2006
Week 2: took Path shelf and ICD shelf -- 8-10 hrs/day
Pre-Test Physical Diagnosis for the ICD shelf test (excellent review of pathophys!!!)
also used behavioral science section in FA
Week 3: took Pharmacology final
used class notes for Pharmacology final and glanced at pharm in FA
took half a week off after final exams

Week 4-7: never studied more than 5 hours in a day. only M-F with the entire weekend off

Week 4:
once through BRS Phys
started QBank and did first 300 questions

Week 5:
continued Qbank at about 50 questions per day
one time through organ system section of FA 2006 (I had already done this once while studying for finals)

Week 6:
only did 100 QBank this week -- slacker :cool:
focused on small subjects like biochem, micro/immuno, embryo, behavioral (mostly from FA)

Week 7:
only did 100 Qbank this week also -- still a slacker
used class notes for Pharm and used pharm areas in FA (3 days)
ran back through the small subjects in FA (2 days)

Week 8: stepped up to 8 hrs/ day ... mostly a bunch of Path/Pathophys and my weak areas
50 Qbank per day
Goljan review notes (inflammation, clotting, cardio, resp, GI, renal, endocrine, lower urinary/sex, musculoskeletal, neuro)
Goljan audio for the same sections that I did from the review notes
FA yet again (behavioral, biochem, embryo, pharm, heme/onc, musculoskeletal, neuro/psych, renal, resp)
50 biochem questions from the stolen version of NBME 1 and 2
took the free 150 released questions 1 week before Step 1 (74%)

Final 2 Days: insane 10 hrs/day
almost all questions, questions, and more questions
2 Days Before Step 1:
100 QBank
250 Qbook (100 biochem + 150 path/pathophys)
1 Day Before Step 1:
100 QBank
150 Qbook (50 pharm + 100 path/pathophys)
skimmed review area at the back of FA (the images and rapid review stuff)
skimmed Goljan HY handout (the one that is about 40 pages long)

Day of the Test: so nervous I almost sharted as I started that first block (just kidding)
turned out not too bad......staying focused and trying to remain calm is key

The key to a good performance and study schedule is first and foremost to do well in your classes -- remember that most of this stuff should be "review." First year is not all that important assuming you're on a classical schedule with Path and Pharm in your 2nd year (Phys is pretty critical though but you get that regurgitated during Path and Pharm so don't worry about it too much).
My schedule said it was 8.5 wks long, but a lot of that was tied up in final exams and a healthy amount of downtime. I think a well planned 4 weeks of review is more than adequate for anyone as long as you have the discipline to stick to it and stay focused. I learned as much in the last 1.5 wks than I did in the previous 3 wks because I actually sat down and did some real and very productive studying for at least 8 hours each day.

Relaxing is also the key to success in my opinion. Notice how my schedule included things like relatively slow study weeks and plenty of times when I basically did nothing for the whole weekend. I relaxed a little too much, but try to make time to get away from the books. You will be much happier (so will those who are unfortunate enough to be stuck living with you during your masochistic review month). This was good and bad I guess. I slacked off quite a bit, and that meant that my study period got stretched out over most of my summer. However, I was not miserable during that time, so I guess the point is that you need to tailor your own schedule to how intense you want to be in your studying.
Along this same line of thinking DO NOT GET BURNED OUT. If you feel this starting to happen close your books, leave the library, and go relax. Take time off if you need it. Studying does not work when you are tense and exhausted and that extra time you take to decompress will be worth it in the long run.

If I had it to do over again:
I would have started using BRS Path and First Aid on day one of my second year. I also would have gotten Qbook (not QBank) and started doing some questions (maybe 100 each week) during the second semester just to get me thinking about Step 1 material and how I might need to prepare. I probably would not have needed QBank. Qbook plus all of the Robbins and BRS questions is more than adequate.
I personally liked the Qbook more than Qbank anyway (and it only cost about 40 bucks which is very nice :thumbup: ).
My time frame was not what it should have been. It would have been ideal for me to study hard like I did for final exams, but then keep studying hard for another 3 weeks and take the test then. I drug it out too long and did most of my learning in the last week and a half, but I certainly enjoyed being relaxed the whole time.
I also should have taken at least one of the NBME tests about half way through my studying just to get an idea of where I was and what I should expect to focus on for the real thing. Near the end, I just didn't think it was worth $45 to see a predicted score without being able to review all of the questions. Instead, I stuck with things like QBank that already provided explanations for me.

So here is what I used to study:
1. BRS Path (including all of the review questions in it)
2. First Aid 2006
3. QBank
4. Kaplan Q-Book
5. Goljan notes
6. class notes for Pharm
7. Robbins Question Book
8. Pre-Test Physical Diagnosis
9. BRS Phys

I would say that the first 5 sources are more than enough to do extremely well on Step 1

General thoughts on review sources:
Stick with a few sources that complement your learning style. I did not get anywhere close to opening a text book because I am not a text type of guy in the first place. I stuck with good review books that I had already used and become familiar with during class. Also, I felt like I got a lot out of doing questions (whether they were in the BRS books, the Robbins book, Qbank, or Qbook) -- just don't forget to read the full explanations for all questions or you are completely wasting your time.

I want to thank everyone who posted their Step 1 experience and advice in the past. I can confidently say that I learned a great deal from reading the insights on this board, and it certainly bumped up my score a few points at least. Also, do not get discouraged if you keep seeing superstars scoring 250+ all over SDN. Just take the advice that you find useful and adapt it to fit your own study plan and give it your best. Good luck!

233/94. My experience/background is different from the above poster's, so I thought it might be helpful.

Stats as well:
SAT: 1540
MCAT: 36
Med School GPA/Rank - no idea. We do H/P/F the 2nd year, and I honored about a 1/3 of the classes. That probably puts me in the upper half to upper quarter.
No shelf exams. We don't use them.
Qbank overall = 70%, I think. It's been a while.
Qbank last 300 = ~80%

If you read my other post on the results thread, you can see that I only had 3 weeks to prepare for this exam, minus my insane amount of Goljan listening beforehand. Here's how it ended up being broken down:

Week 1:
Read all of First Aid, BRS Phys. Did a few hundred Qbank questions.

Week 2:
Read all of BRS Path, Behavioral Science. Did all of Robbins Review of Path. Few hundred more Qbank questions.

Week 3:
Finished Qbank. Finished NBME exams. Read CAMRS, HY C+M. Reviewed First Aid.

At this point, I was ready to take my exam, but was delayed because of a fire at the testing center. I subsequently had to reschedule and ended up taking my exam 300 miles away on the day before my surgery rotation on the 5th of July. So I technically had another week, but half of that time was spent frantically trying to get another location and the other half idlly reading First Aid and trying hard not to forget anything.

Each of my study weeks was 7 days/week of study, for about 12-14 hours a day. I definitely would have liked more time, just to take the edge off. It would have been a good idea to do more questions too. I didn't mention the books that I looked over but discarded because I found them too low-yield in the end. See other thread for details on that.

On the actual test day, I felt fine during the whole thing. I got a little tired near the end, but I remember not marking that many questions overall. Definitely fewer than 30. But who knows with that.

Now - we're required to take Step 2 right after 3rd year, so I'll definitely try to do a lot better on that. I just got my Step 1 score today, and can't decide whether to be disappointed or glad. I guess I expected better, considering how I felt during the test and how I was doing on practice questions. Oh well. Just try harder, I guess!

This thread was wicked helpful to me two years ago when I took the damn thing, so I thought I'd go ahead and revive it, seeing as people are starting to study.

Step 1: 247/99

Scores
SAT: 1470 (800V, 670M)
MCAT: 40-42T (13B, 14P, 13-15V)
Med School GPA/Rank - first two years are pass/fail, no ranking is done
Qbank: generally 70-80% by the end, started off around 60-65%
USMLEWorld: 55-65% by the end, 45-55% in the begining
BSS: around 50% throughout

Step 1 Reading Material:
Kaplan Lecture Notes (bought off eBay)
First Aid for Step 1
Step-Up

Study Strategy:
Feb to Mar: Started by going through First Aid in my free time
Mar to Apr: Read all the Kaplan Notes
Apr to Jun: Reread Kaplan, did a ton of practice questions

My school gave us about two months off to prepare for the exam, and I typically studied five days a week for about 8-10hrs a day. I did not study with groups.

Personally, I believe strongly in doing as many practice questions as you can get through. I completed Qbank, USMLEWorld, BSS, and any other random question book I could get my hands on. This worked well for me, and quite a few questions on my exam were essentially the same as practice questions I had done.

Things that suprised me on the exam

1) I had a number of anatomy questions based off of radiology images. Specifically, I was asked to identify the PCL on a knee MRI, and the pancreas on an abdominal CT scan. There were a couple others, but I can't remember them right now.

2) Rather than simply asking molecular biology questions, I had a couple questions with poorly-drawn diagrams (nerve pathways, ion channels, etc) where I was asked to identify reactions or processes at specific points. I never saw anything in practice exams that was even remotely similar to this. These questions sucked.

3) There were a lot more ethical/legal questions than I anticipated. Fortunately, most were simple (teenage girl seeking treatment STD treatment, DNR orders, etc).

4) I had a lot more break time than I anticipated. I initially kind of sped through the first two blocks, then realized I had completed both in about 35 minutes. After that I settled down and took my time, and ended the test with almost two hours of remaining break time, despite taking 30min for lunch and assorted 10min bathroom breaks. Time was certainly not a factor in my case, which was a little suprising.

Hope this helps. God knows I constantly wondered about the correlation between the practice exams and real score until I found this thread. Good luck to all.

MAIN QUESTION... AM I CRAZY FOR SPENDING 90% OF MY TIME ON JUST FA AND QB????

Thanks for your help everyone and best of luck...

so u dug up an old thread to post something that has nothing to do with the thread? this is an exam experiences thread, as in for those who have already taken it........do you see anyone else asking for advice on their study plan?

If you are really curious, start a new thread and ppl will respond :)