Compiled Step one Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a thread to post individual step 1 experiences. Like what was on it, how you felt going into it, what books you used, what was helpfull, what was not. Basically anything you think would be helpfull to other students. Post your own thread so that you can get the congratulations you deserve and answer any questions, but please just cut and paste that experience onto this thread so it will be around for years. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My exam is this wednesday so kind of freaked out coz got to know about Fred being implemented just yesterday .

smgilles said:
Does anyone every feel good after they walk out that exam?

so did you think the NBME exam questions were similar to the real step? with the level of understanding and "jumps" that have to be made to answer the question?
best wishes!
streetdoc

streetdoc said:
smgilles said:
Does anyone every feel good after they walk out that exam?

so did you think the NBME exam questions were similar to the real step? with the level of understanding and "jumps" that have to be made to answer the question?
best wishes!
streetdoc

I thought my NBME B exam was fairly straight forward with nothing crazy, that may explain the 600. The NBME exams are similar in length of questions and in general the difficulty in questions for pharm, path, micro, and about everything else is the same as the USML; just not the cell bio. stuff. I am hoping it's just me and everyone feels like they just got rocked after taking step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
smgilles said:
streetdoc said:
I thought my NBME B exam was fairly straight forward with nothing crazy, that may explain the 600. The NBME exams are similar in length of questions and in general the difficulty in questions for pharm, path, micro, and about everything else is the same as the USML; just not the cell bio. stuff. I am hoping it's just me and everyone feels like they just got rocked after taking step 1.

That was a nice jump in score. Hopefully the same translated on your Step 1 exam today. Congrats for the heavy load off your back.

:confused: hi
sorry if this is a dumb question,
but what is this NBME B exam exam you guys are talking about.
Is the basic science practice test?

thanks!

just wanted to follow up with my score for those of you who are considering my advice from a few pages back: 255/99
my NBME scores were 590 and 590 so I wouldnt put too much stock in them but they are great practice. Good luck!

mattie113 said:
just wanted to follow up with my score for those of you who are considering my advice from a few pages back: 255/99
my NBME scores were 590 and 590 so I wouldnt put too much stock in them but they are great practice. Good luck!
Wow that's great congrats.

:thumbup:

Mattie! wow, what a jump from your NBMEs!!! Thats awesome and great motivation for those of us who are still going to take it. Great job man and thanks for your advice! Holler at a Baller!!

mattie113 said:

\that's off the heezy sheezy, congrats! I sent you a PM.

mattie113 said:

Congratulations, Mattie :clap: :clap:

So I have close to five weeks before I take Step 1 plus I want to take weekends off so I don't fry my brain (if you want a visual think of this is your brain on drugs commericial). If you had to do it again, what would your general study schedule be like for 4-5 weeks. Alos, what books did you use besides pathophysiology for boards, First Aid, and QBank. I'm taking your advice by dumping Brs Physiology/Pathology like you mentioned. Thanks a bunch, and congratulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the congrats and i will try to answer some questions but i have to throw in a disclaimer.... the trouble is that my opinions post-test were sort of based on the feelings that i had after i finished (crappy) and on the estimated score i would recieve based on the NBME's (decent).

here's the rub: i knocked my study schedule in my previous post but i ended up with a pretty good score so now i really cannot say for sure that my time spent on pathology was a bad idea.... sorry about that. i guess the answer to what i would have done differently is really that I have no idea.

But here are some other things that I can add to those of you out there who feel that they have excellent pathophys backgrounds and are looking to get the more obscure subjects squared away:
I still stand by my statemtent about BRSpath (too little about too much) and would def. stick to pathophys4boards&wards and lots of goljan (at least two lectures a day).
HY gross anatomy, cellular and molecular, embryololgy, and histology (yes, histology) - only the newest editions. out of the group, HY histology is by far the best book. you have to see it to believe it. it ties in basic micrographs and diagrams to key pharm, path, and phys concepts (do you know where the rate limiting enzyme for adrenal steroidogenesis is located on an electromicrograph?). There are a few mistakes here and there so read with a critical eye, but it is the best kept secret among my group of friends here at my school and certianly worth the read. now that we have all gotten our scores i thought that i would share that. as far as HY gross and embryo i think that the charts are worth photocopying and sticking into FA or a binder (i kept a binder of photocopied stuff to memorize the last week) do make sure that all your HY are the newest editions because they have recently gotten into the habit of integrating several subjects at a time and that is the name of the game.

i cant remember if i talked about FA but that book needs to be completely filled with notes. in the margins, on the top, even all over the chapter headings. if your FA is not completely covered in notes from your qbank and other readings you are not doing a good job studying.

that brings up another point - most of my time spent on memorization was useless during the first weeks since i would just forget it within four or five days. So if there was something i knew i needed to memorize (like the adrenal steroidogenesis pathways) i just photocopied it and put it in a binder to memorize on my last couple days.

i guess this is all common sense. i am surprised and happy about my score but am sort of at a loss to tell you how i did it. i think that automaton's advice is great and that for the most part if you are taking the time to read these posts and follow advice you will likely do well. these USMLE discussion boards are sort of self-selective for either gunners, liars, or paranoid kids like me who just want a decent score and to have career options come residency time.

recap of books: HYhisto, gross, cellular, embryo (all new editions only), robbins question book(new edition with blue cover) and paththophys4B&W (either edition is fine), and every sentence, picture, word, graph in FA needs to be completely memorized.

i realize that much of my book list is unconventional but i promise that these books are the best of the best in terms of content. i am only pushing them on you because i think my score is more reflective of good study materials and preparation than smarts. seriously.

when you are feeling like you are not retaining anything or your studying is not going well (like after lunch during "nap time") i suggest putting down the books and doing questions. if you are just sitting there reading passively you might as well be napping.

okay. thanks to everyone who posted over the last couple years and good luck to the rest of you. :luck:

what is the most recent histo out? i have year 2000 with 208 pages.
you did not mention HY neuro which often makes the short list...did you skip it?
thanks for the advice.
streetdoc

Hope im ready. :scared: Took the practice test at prometric and it just didn't seem to be the same difficulty as qbank, it seemed easier. Did anyone else have the same experience? Any last minute pointers from previous takers would be appreciated.

later.

streetdoc said:
you did not mention HY neuro which often makes the short list...did you skip it?
thanks for the advice.
streetdoc

there's a 3rd edition (2004), 260 pages. Very thick. I'm not sure if I'm going to have time for it....but now that mattie says its so good maybe i should check it out?

Bounty said:
there's a 3rd edition (2004), 260 pages. Very thick. I'm not sure if I'm going to have time for it....but now that mattie says its so good maybe i should check it out?

dang, that's huge!! Hmm, I don't know about that....that time could be spent re-memorizing FA, no?

streetdoc said:
thanks for the advice.
streetdoc

oops- yea i forgot to mention HY neuro. i definately did not skip that book.
these books are all manageable if your study schedule is broken down in organ systems. dont punish yourself with trying to memorize every detail in the HY series, just try to make good use of the pics and the charts to annotate FA or save for the last week.

im on OB/gyn and im pretty miserable - i apologize for not mentioning neuro. :luck:

Took step I yesterday. If I had to restudy one topic before walking in there it would be endrocrinology. Many questions on sex hormones and PTH/calcium. Every one of them was the up or down arrow question and had choices A-J.

Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Pharm was straight forward, no surprises, no unknown drugs, just adverse effects and mechanisms of the big drugs.

Anatomy was a mixed bag of easy ones and then off the wall ones that I would have never known unless I memorized Netter.

Micro, Physio nothing anyone won't be able to handle. I didn't have any equations on mine :thumbup:

Path was abundant, with NO HLA's :thumbup: Almost 90% were just to diagnose the disease.

Behavioral was the easy "what do you say next" questions that were very obvious.

Epi, know types of study designs. Out of about 4 questions 3 were name the study type.

Molecular Bio was of course the most difficult, a lot of educated guesses.

All in all not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I flew by once I was in there. I didn't want to stop and take the breaks.

Good luck to everyone. You'll come out knowing that you studied as best as you could have.

I just took my simulated QBank exam today (which I stunk at - 63% :( ) ..but anyway, I noticed that I had a considerable amount of time left over in each block. And this is weird, because I am usually a slow test taker.

Anyway, would you say that the QBank question stems and # of answer choices are generally shorter than on the real thing?

And if so, why would they do this to me?!?! :confused:

lsu1000 said:
Took step I yesterday. If I had to restudy one topic before walking in there it would be endrocrinology. Many questions on sex hormones and PTH/calcium. Every one of them was the up or down arrow question and had choices A-J.

Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Pharm was straight forward, no surprises, no unknown drugs, just adverse effects and mechanisms of the big drugs.

Anatomy was a mixed bag of easy ones and then off the wall ones that I would have never known unless I memorized Netter.

Micro, Physio nothing anyone won't be able to handle. I didn't have any equations on mine :thumbup:

Path was abundant, with NO HLA's :thumbup: Almost 90% were just to diagnose the disease.

Behavioral was the easy "what do you say next" questions that were very obvious.

Epi, know types of study designs. Out of about 4 questions 3 were name the study type.

Molecular Bio was of course the most difficult, a lot of educated guesses.

All in all not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and I flew by once I was in there. I didn't want to stop and take the breaks.

Good luck to everyone. You'll come out knowing that you studied as best as you could have.

glad to hear you felt good about it and congrats on finishing...

how were the questions with relation to qbank; considering you are one of the most recent test takers you can totally shed some light on the "Qbank vs Step 1" issue. Thanks for the help and congrats again

ucb

if i got a 610 on NBME Form 1, what can i realistically expect on the real usmle?

kcumbDO said:
if i got a 610 on NBME Form 1, what can i realistically expect on the real usmle?

Predicts around 240 doesn't it? I scored a 600 on Form B 2 days before I took the exam but I don't feel I was any where near a 240 after walking out of the exam. I thought my NBME and my step 1 were completely different monsters, as in my NBME was real easy. I guess I will know in a few short weeks. Congrats on the NBME score though....hopefully it will correlate well with your USMLE score.

The Qbanks helped me to manage my time on the questions. When doing the Qbanks I usually had several minutes left over at the end of the block, however on the real Step I hardly ever had anytime leftover. But I was able to watch the clock and gage how I was doing, and I attribute that to Qbank.

Qbank was very help in that regard, as well as the types of questions they asked. I can't remember a specific question that Qbank asked and that was on the Step but seeing things over and over on Qbank helped me select a quick answer of the Step.

hi,
since you seem to be giving out a lot of advice, i thought i'd ask..
i bought the Goljan rapid review PATH book...and i have the question book too, w/ the CD.
the path book is too long for me to read... w/ 2.5 wks left until the Dday..
but you are saying that the Goljan CD questions are more in line w/ the actual exam than Q bank? EVeryone swears by Q bank and says how it's awesome.
hmm... should i do some of the Goljan CD instead of the Q bank?

Also, I am having a really TOUGH time memorizing pharm. Any suggestions?
Did you literally just sit there w/ First Aid and just force it in your head? Pneumonics can help to a point, but when you've got like a thousand different pneumonics, they can mess you up. haha..
And did you say that you had a lot of pharm on your test??
....sigh.... I'll just have to pray that I don't get a lot of pharm on my test, b/c it is by FAR the weakest subject for me. :(

Any suggestions wuold be appreciated!!! thanks!!!

eunice

Joe Joe on da Radio said:
i took my exam last week and it was not as difficult as i had anticipated it to be. i don't know about other versions out there, but i really felt that the exam i took served up to its billing as a competency exam. they're not trying to trick you, but see if you have the basics down, and if you do, there isn't much that they can hurt you with. i used the following resources over 6 weeks (3 weeks of which were completely off from classes):

1) BRS Path (it is essential to understand everything in this book; used WebPath along with it)
2) BRS Physio (i felt the exam was much more about pathophysiology than pure physiology)
3) First Aid (sufficient for biochem, behavior, anatomy, pharm)
4) Appleton & Lange Micro & Immuno (a high-yield condensed version of clinical micro made ridiculously simple; i would highly recommend this book instead)
5) BRS Neuroanatomy (chapters on spinal cord tracts/lesions and brainstem lesions only; reviewed a neuro atlas on brainstem sections)
6) HY Molecular Bio (made me less anxious about the subject matter after reading it)
7) Q Bank
8) Goljan Rapid Review USLME Step 1 Question Book (much more in line with the real exam than Q bank in my opinion; and it was only $40 with a CD of 1050 additional questions with 350 in the book itself; i wish i had knew about this book before i spent >$300 on Q bank b/c it would have been more than sufficient!)

as for the exam, i found it helpful to read the question stem first before i read the vignette's as some of them were quite long. i could focus on what to pick out of the vignette knowing what the question was asking for already.

good luck and study hard!

--joe

Just took the $45 NBME practice tests and got 610 on NBME 1 and 630 on NBME 2. Hoping for a positive correlation on the real step.

Hi Kcumb,
I am saving my NBME tests 'til closer to the exam, but I am wondering if you had any thoughts on the correlation between Qbank score and NBME score...

Thanks!

kcumbDO said:
Just took the $45 NBME practice tests and got 610 on NBME 1 and 630 on NBME 2. Hoping for a positive correlation on the real step.

i don't know exactly how to corellate the qbank to NBME since qbank gives percentage and NBME gives u a USMLE score. I ve been scoring in the low 70's on qbank and my NBME projection is a 244 on the USMLE. If you are scoring in the upper 60's to 70's on qbank u should be in good shape.

En route to becoming overwhelmingly intoxicated, my experience today was that the real thing was somewhat more straightforward than Q-Bank. Not that there weren't curveballs, there definitely were. In the end though, I thought the thing was fair, and that Q-Bank + 1st Aid + the major BRS's + the minor HY's was good strategery. Specifically compared to Q-Bank:

The behvaioral "what would you say next" qs were significantly less maddening than the Q-Bank versions of them, as another poster previously mentioned.

The path qs were mostly straightforward. There were less "two step" questions than Q-Bank led me to believe there would be, and more "patient presents with buzzwords x, y, and z, what is your diagnosis?" This did not suck.

The microbio questions were less picky than Q-Bank. Questions were more conceptual than nitpicky on specific minutiae.

I also had zero questions on HLA markers, chromosome translocations, or cancer oncogenes/tumor suppressors, save for one gimme about p53. I want the many hours of my life I wasted trying to memorize these facts back.

All that being said, there were definitely quite a few "WTF??" questions. I had a pharm question where I had not ever before seen a single one of the 5 drugs listed as choices. They sure as hell weren't in 1st Aid. Most curveballs seemed to come out of the cell bio area, though it may have just seemed that way to me since I both hate and suck at cell bio.

Overall, if you've been tackling Q-Bank and know your 1st Aid, you should be fine.

And now, sweet, sweet beer...

Took the big bad Step 1 today... while it's fresh, I guess I'll post my thoughts. If people find it helpful, great... but remember, it's just one person's opinions/experience.

350 questions is draining. Even with all the break time, at some point (or in my case, multiple points) during the day, you just want to hurl your aviator headphones across the room and kick the screen in. When those times happen, just take a mental break for 30 seconds. I didn't have any problems with time. I finished all my blocks with at least 15 minutes to spare, and I promise, I'm not a super smarty. I am a fast reader though.

As far as difficulty and correlation with Qbank, I think overall the majority of USMLE questions were more straightforward than some of Qbanks. There were probably 5 or so on the whole exam that were very similar to a Qbank question. As some others have mentioned, there are a lot more shorter questions on the USMLE, some one sentence and two sentences. I did get quite a few graphs, pictures, and the dreaded A-Z of up and down arrows that make you dizzy trying to find which one to choose.

As far as content goes, I will agree with many others that the majority of topics were clinical scenarios that focused on big concepts rather than nitpicky facts. There were plenty of those though too, especially when it came to biochemistry. Maybe this is just one of my weak areas, but I can't remember any biochem questions that I felt particularly confident about. I got a few questions outlining a huge long biochemical pathway that looked vaguely familiar and then asked which specific step would be involved with a particular disease or deficiency (sounds easier than it really was!).

Anatomy questions were straightforward. I got 3 or 4 brain slices and sorta wished I had reviewed that a bit more. There was one embryo question that shook me up a bit because I think it decided to call a structure by a synonym that I hadn't heard used before so I had to really think about it and make an educated guess.

Biostats and Behavioral were fairly well represented on my exam. Quite a few calculations (but pretty reasonable and simple ones). A fair share of "What do you say to the patient next?" questions that had a few possible good choices and drove me bonkers for awhile.

Pharm was a blessing for me. I think there were only two drugs that I was pretty clueless on thankfully. This was a tough area for me to memorize and the Gods of USMLE were nice to me luckily. Most of my pharm questions involved more general things like graphs showing toxicity or efficacy. A few side effect questions but they were big ones and not random side effects that you wouldn't see in First Aid.

I had no questions on HLAs or DRs or chromosomal translocations, at least not specific numbers.

The one thing that I think I totally underestimated is Cell Bio. They hit this really hard for me, and they had some really obscure and tough questions. Some were regarding proteins I had never heard of. Some were regarding simple processes like transcription and translation but very very specific details that I would never have known unless I did research on tRNA or something.

I really don't think First Aid cuts it in the molecular bio part. I had a BRS cell bio and histo book that I had thought was pretty decent, but I think in retrospect must have been lacking somewhere. Sorry I don't have better suggestions for reviewing this area. Just don't blow it off because you were a biology major in undergrad and think you know how a cell works! :)

All in all, it was a lotta lotta lotta studying for one day's efforts, and I'm just glad it's over. I am not really the 230+ plus type of medical student (much more average grades and performance in my classes), so don't know how much you want to listen to my opinion. But for those of you who aren't gunning for that 250, I think you can pass this exam and feel pretty comfortable if you really use First Aid and Qbank and possible a few of the BRS review books. I was so burnt out on studying after a month that I can't believe some people study for 6-10 weeks. Four weeks was plenty for me to review the things I had learned before as well as spend some time learning things I hadn't been taught formally!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to send me a message. Good luck to everyone! Hopefully when I get my score back, I won't be retaking it haha!

this is for everyone who has taken the NBME practice tests..

Do you think it's necessary to take both?
it's $90!! it's an evil monopoly... this NBME... haha

Especially for those of you who already took the exam, did you feel that NBME tests were really reflective of the exam and helped you on the exam?
basically is it worth $90??

I'm thinking about definitely taking 1... but i dunno if i want to take 2.

any thoughts?

thanks!!
and CONGRATS to those of you who finished! =)

kcumbDO said:

eunice said:

Especially for those of you who already took the exam, did you feel that NBME tests were really reflective of the exam and helped you on the exam?

any thoughts?

thanks!!

I thought of them as more of gauging where I was in my studying. I took the first one 6 weeks out and only got a 460, which made me nervous and motivated at the same time. I took the second one 2 days before the exam and scored a 600, so I felt much better going into the exam.

I definitely thought the exams were similar to step 1 in content and length of questions. I think overall the USMLE was more difficult than the NBMEs. I agree it's a rip off paying $90 for 2 exams, but there are no other better predictors.

eunice said:

any thoughts?

thanks!!

I took form A or form 1 whatever they call it about 3 weeks prior to my exam and scored well enough that I didn't bother giving those crooks another $45. I did the exam in Tutor Mode and after I had finished the questions within 1 hour per block, I went back and made some notes for myself to use during studying forcing myself not to change any answers.

I have no regrets about not doing form B.

RJ

whoa, the NBMEs are $45 A PIECE! I thought you got access to both of them for $45. What's another $90, I guess... just add it to the other bazilliongilliondollars this whole "i want to be a doctor" thing is costing.

JMD said:
whoa, the NBMEs are $45 A PIECE! I thought you got access to both of them for $45. What's another $90, I guess... just add it to the other bazilliongilliondollars this whole "i want to be a doctor" thing is costing.

yeah, i thought they were $45 for both,too. it's really $45 for each one?! :confused:

Hmmm...USMLE Step 1...where to start....

So, I took it on the 31st, and I think it went ok. I was the first one out of the center, but I think that's more a function of reading quickly and knowing my testing tendencies to sit there and start trying to talk myself out of the right answer if I look at it too many times (which I definitely started doing once I got tired near the end). I did 100 straight, took a break, ate a powerbar, had some gatorade, did another 100, break, 100, break, 50 finished. Took about six hours to do the whole thing, and it was relatively painless procedurally etc. I definitely felt a little weird to be about the only person getting up and taking breaks and etc., but, I guess that's just how it goes. I looked a couple things up during breaks - I got a couple physiology questions on the same (rather major topic) that I wasn't sure on, so I checked on it just in case I got a third.

For the most part, the questions were very similar in difficulty to the released items and the NBME. I felt very fortunate that there were only two or three questions where I was totally without a clue and felt like I was making up justifications for my line of reasoning - and turns out I was on the right track for most of my guessing. For me, anyway, it seemed like 50% of the questions were straightforward questions that I could just answer without hardly thinking...then about 30% I'd narrowed it down to two reasonable sounding choices and was guessing one over the other...then 10% were things I'd never seen in any of my preparation materials ever, but were obliquely related to knowledge I had...then 10% were...different.

Did anyone else get these questions? The mind-numbingly obvious questions that required no medical knowledge whatsoever? I swear, I kept getting these questions that involved...counting. Or tracing a line on a graph. I mean, I got a question asking about choosing an antibiotic from five lines in a graph where only one line represented an antibiotic that actually killed all the bacteria! I was truly astounded that these questions were on the exam.

I'm not sure I can entirely confirm or deny the molecular genetics/cell biology thread that everyone is mentioning. I didn't get any way-out-there detailed questions that I couldn't answer with my basic knowledge, which isn't even supplemented by any kind of significant undergrad biology experience. There was some molecular genetics, some gene regulation stuff, some cell biology and some electron micrographs, but it wasn't a major part of my exam to the extent like I felt like it was a point of emphasis. I browsed through HY Molecular and Cell Biology a couple times, and felt like that was enough. I did get an HLA question, but no chromosomal translocations. I'm sure someone did....

Overall, I felt like it could have been a lot worse. I expected a lot worse, at least. It didn't have as many random details as Qbank or the Qreview self-test - everything seemed to have a plausible clinical justification for the question. It's really probably impossible to study for the way they ask the questions, but if your mind works well enough to really critically read First Aid, BRS, etc. looking at the facts as they apply clinically, you'll be in the right mode.

Books worth mentioning in the review:
First Aid - Embryology from First Aid is plenty. Pharmacology from First Aid is plenty. But you really have to know it cold...the couple pharmacology questions I went back and looked up were in there, I just didn't remember it. Immunology is something I didn't feel well enough prepared for from First Aid, and I didn't have any other resources that I found helpful. Biochemistry from First Aid seemed to be plenty, though I needed better diagrams of some of the cycles - and used my Biochem textbook for that.

BRS Pathology - Hate it. It's not nearly enough detail, and you really need the pictures. Use Robbins and use Robbins question book to review your pathology. I don't know anything about this Goijan person people talk about, so I can't say what that's good for or not.

BRS Gross Anatomy - Looked at it, used it a little. Too detailed for our purposes and poorly organized.

BRS Physiology - Thought this was a good one to have; some of my classmates used it during second year to accompany the coursework. This has all the physiology you'll need for the boards in it.

BRS Behavioral Science - I liked it, thought it was a good complete resource and a little easier to read/learn from than First Aid's behavioral science section. In a pinch, you can get pretty well with First Aid's section, however.

Qbank - Fills in the gaps with some useful details in biochemistry, I felt like. Physiology, pathology, pathophysiology, anatomy, embryology, etc. have good, representative, useful question sets. I wasn't as impressed with the microbiology and pharmacology questions, as they seemed a little unimportant at times.

I took about a month and a half to study. I've been coasting the first two years down near the class average, and that's not good enough to get me out back to the west coast for residency. I went through every major topic area once spending 2-5 days on it, took some diagnostic tests, spent a couple days going over specific areas, then used the week before the test to go back through each First-Aid section and cram as much stuff as I could. And then the day before the exam I went golfing. Don't show up to the exam burned out...you're going to need the brainpower to guess well more than you need the random facts you could pick up at the last second.

For all you numbers junkies who are trying to predict your scores based on whatnot....

NBME Form 1: 510/221 (one month prior to exam)
NBME Form 2: 560/232 (12 days prior to exam)
Released Items 2005: 44, 42, 37 (11 days prior to exam)
Kaplan Simulated Exam: ~81% (10 days prior to exam)
Qbank, Qbook: 60-85% range going through as I was studying topics.

...and I'll be back to update with my confirmation of how the score pans out in a month! (I hope...we didn't have FRED, oddly enough).
(edit - score reported June 22nd: 253/99)

(and I hope I didn't sound too pretentious with my description of the test...I don't think my knowledge base is significantly different than anyone elses' who has studied, but I literally kept getting questions that uncannily matched the areas I studied the most successfully.)

And it honestly wasn't that bad. Maybe I had the "easy" test, but I felt suprisingly good as I walked out of the test center. I definitely thought that many of the questions were straight forward, knowledge based. I was suprised to have several repeaters throughout the test.

I tried to know First Aid cold, did all of the Q-bank, and supplemented w/other books in the 1st week and a half of studying (I was on a 3 week study plan, b/c I would've killed someone if I did any more than that). For my test, I felt like Q-bank was very beneficial; be sure to read and understand the answer explanations.

As far as specific topics:

I was caught a little off guard by having as many CT/MRI pics as I did. Not much neuro; micro, pharm & path were straight forward for the most part. Immunology and Endocrinology were big on my test (esp. immunologic deficiencies, hypo/hyperthyroidism). My last 2 blocks had a lot of phys questions w/6 answer choices that had arrows in all directions; the new strike-out features on FRED are good for these. Molecular Bio/Biostats/Biochem had some gimmes, and some that I just had to go w/a gut feeling.

Hope this helps a little. Just study hard and you'll be fine. Don't let others freak you out about the test, just do your best. :thumbup:

Hey all,
I'm done with the beast, and I am soooooooo tired. I'm posting mainly for catharsis so I won't go into all the sources I used etc. I think we all know what books to focus on BRS phys/path Qbank, FA etc... :)

Started studying in January-- just light reading listening to Goljan and Kaplan lectures and doing Robbins questions. But I only spent 2.5 weeks studying hard core after classes ended. I'm talking 18+ hours a day, no phone no tv, eat in front of Qbank type studying. This may not work for everyone, in fact we'll see how it worked for me in a few weeks. But I have to obessive type tendencies, so I new that if I gave myself too much time I would drive myself crazy and be burnt out for rotations. Also, I was solid the first two years especially in genetics, physiology and pathology and our school is pretty good a teaching Biostats so there wasn't a lot of time wasted on remediating that stuff. I really only needed to work on Immunology and Biochem and Pharm which are highly crammable.

Ok, well first of all like others have said it will be draining and this is coming from someone who's spent the last two weeks studying and hitting questions for hours at a time-- for some reason the real thing is just so much more tiring.

Although it was long it went by kind of fast-- I did 3 sections, took a pee break, 3 more sections, ate an apple, went to the bathroom and finished up the last section. I started at 9 and finished a 4 on the dot.

Started getting chest pain sometime during the 3rd section, convinced myself that I had a PE from being totally sedentary the last 3 weeks--- calmed down and realized that I was probably just reacting to adrenaline and caffeine. :p

As for content-- really the bottom line is that it's all fair game. In general it's true that the "what would you say next" questions were a lot less ambiguous, for the most part only one answer was remotely ethical. Whoever wrote my version of the exam must have had a nasty bout of lumpy jaw or a relative with Fragile X because I got two questions on Actinomyces Isrelii :eek: and 3 cases of "kid with macroorchidism and an IQ of 60 blah blah" -- I started to get annoyed at the repetition but then thanked the USMLE gods for the easy genetics questions. Maybe one question about Staph. What superantigen is etc-- all in all a very random assortment of micro.

Path was unfortunately not well represented on my test-- which is a shame because I love it and it the most recent thing I'd studied so it was fresh. As for physiology, that too was not really well represented. I'm sure there was some there but I can't really recall a straight phys question. A lot of it was tied up with CNS pharm. I had a lot Xrays and MRIs and angiograms on my exam-- nothing too tough if you've looked at a few. According to Qbank you'd think that parathyroid and paget's were the only 2 things that existed but I think I maybe got one question on Paget, and very little endocrinology-- not one arrow up down calcium PO4 question-- I was ticked :rolleyes: My exam had a lot of renal phys though

I had a lot of genetics-- stuff like what codon sequence would generate this peptide and then they would give you the table to read-- very simple.

Somebody said to blow off cell bio-- I would agree with this! I don't know what the NBME expects or where they get these questions but they asked about things I'd never seen before. Things that aren't in any of the sources I used. I thought I knew what a 3-->5' exonuclease did, but apparently it has some function that I'm not aware of, I also got a tRNA question that required a PhD :confused:

Most of the pharm you could do in your sleep if you've seen Qbank-- but they threw in a couple of tricky things about the EXACT area of the nephron that gentamicin attacks or what the contraindications of oseltamavir are. If anyone can find this let me know :D

It really is true that the best prep for step 1 is to do well the first 2 years, some things will just pop into your head because you remember them from some undergrad lecture :laugh: --by definition review books just can't cover everything and they'll find a way to throw in something you don't know. No one can tell you what to expect that's what makes it so hard. You won't have to know it all for your test-- but you won't know until test day what they'll focus on. Your test may have path up the wazoo, or tons of hematology, or lots of crazy graphs-- or not, so study hard and just hope for the best. :thumbup:

Pox in a box said:
Diabetes?

could be, I think the patient had DM, renal faliure, gout, high cholesterol and was on like 5 drugs so I had no clue.

Gentamicin accumulates in the PT cells and causes necrosis and acts on DT and CD to decrease sensitivity to ADH.

bizcuit241 said:
Gentamicin accumulates in the PT cells and causes necrosis and acts on DT and CD to decrease sensitivity to ADH.

Awesome! well that's one guess well made ;)

i think i read somewhere that oseltamivir is a category 3 teratogen?

Congrats to all of you who are done! I am super jealous! :)

Pox in a box said:
Like I said, it's diabetes. Check your sources again, then check the ones that have the right answer. I've learned a thing or two from Goljan.

What's your source? I found the info I quoted in Mosby's Drug Consult, ASHP Drug Information 2005, rxlist.com, and Goodman & Gilman. So if somebody's out there teaching that diabetes is a contraindication to oseltamivir, and writing test questions to that effect, they really should make sure that answer is supported by the major drug references.

Edit: and I just checked the FDA website, and the current package labeling says the same thing.

Samoa said:
What's your source? I found the info I quoted in Mosby's Drug Consult, ASHP Drug Information 2005, rxlist.com, and Goodman & Gilman. So if somebody's out there teaching that diabetes is a contraindication to oseltamivir, and writing test questions to that effect, they really should make sure that answer is supported by the major drug references.

Edit: and I just checked the FDA website, and the current package labeling says the same thing.

The last step in drug manufacturing requires postmarketing surveillance. Remember this for Step 1. The FDA must approve ALL human trial protocols in EVERY step. I digress.

Oseltamivir phosphate has been questioned for aggravation of diabetes. The package insert from Roche can be read here to back up the claim:

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2003/tamiflu_pi.pdf

However, this is such a nitpicky detail and is so controversial that I doubt the writers were going for this. I agree that's probably not the answer the USMLE was looking for in the question; OP, what were the other choices? I'll step back from the claim and reopen the DDx.