Complaints About SDN

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ouzoo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ouzoo

Pre-Medical
    I started using SDN for the interview feedback and when that was no longer useful to me I began searching and reading the forums. While at first I found surfing them to be fun and somewhat enlightening more and more I feel they are plain annoying. As a future osteopathic student I am always disappointed to enter the DO forum and see threads such as “DO vs. MD” or “Issues about the DO degree” or “DO degree name change.” My favorite is “I’m a complete idiot and don’t know anything about medical school or the profession I wish to enter. Will someone hold my hand and walk me across the bridge that spans the enormous gap in my ability to think or do anything for myself? Sorry for request but if you can’t tell I’m a huge pantiewaste.” While these represent only a few of the threads that surface on SDN I have problems with others as well. Many pre-meds have questions such as “should I apply this year” and along the same lines “what are my chances?” More often than not the respondent is some self righteous, egotistical, pretentious prick who, standing on their pedestal, finds their advice helpful when they tell a prospective applicant that his or her 3.8 gpa and 32 MCAT is mediocre at best and applying is a waste of time. If such respondents were capable of seeing past their own noses they would understand that many people ask such questions because they are seeking encouragement; in the med school application process the last thing one needs is to be told that their applications are inadequate. As long as a person has put into their application their full potential there exists no harm in applying and it should be encouraged. In closing, while I understand there will always be those who initiate ridiculous threads about the DO degree any person with a wisp of dignity should refuse to respond as they are degrading to the profession.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. slim78

Medical Student
    Speaking of annoying threads....

4. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    You need to be selective in what you read, ouzoo. You'll find much help when you get to boards here again, and lots of those who ridicule never make it to med school (or if they do, they get a really big helping of humility very quickly).

Once the ego-inflated ones have been weeded out by the application process (or knocked down a few pegs), the med student forum can be a nice place for some comfort and help. And I must say that as a rising MSIII facing boards in three days (kill me now), I've found a great deal of help, support, and knowledge in the step I forum.

Hang in there. Pre-meds have always been in need of some valium, especially at this time of year when the rejected ones get a little bitter toward the rising hopefuls.

5. Gold 5

Gold 5 Stay On Target

Medical Student
    Two points.
    1. Some of us on the board didn't do that well the first time. It took us a little while for us to overcome our little foibles in life. Hopefully the arduous journey makes us better.
    2. I'm not a pretentious prick, just a pain in the a$$, who knowing what I know now would have done things a little different the first time around. Good luck in getting in :D

6. Gold 5

Gold 5 Stay On Target

Medical Student
    Good luck Shy

7. BCLumas

BCLumas Member

Medical Student

First of all, your text hurts my eyes. Therefore, I changed it to Veranda because I like it more.

Secondly, your font size was really big when changed to Veranda, so I dropped it from 3 to 2.

Lastly, I wonder if this is really the state of SDN? Are you really hanging out on the Pre-Osteo forums or are you also lurking on the Pre-Allo forums as well? If I saw someone ask their chances with a 3.8 GPA and a 32 MCAT, I would never say their chances are bad. I would, however, ask about their LoR's, EC's, and the like, but that's just to give a thorough evaluation.
    I don't know that people want an inflated view of their application like you think they do. While it's true that they don't want to see "you suck" in so many words, it would not benefit the applicants for everyone to say "your app looks beyond amazing so only apply to your favorite schools!" Giving them a realistic look at their application and some serious solid advice is what everyone is here to do. Nobody is here to promote their own agenda or be a "pretentious prick," as you so eloquently put. It does become exacerbating, however, to see people ask the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (point made?) again and have to have it explained each time. In those threads you will find the "prick-ish" attitudes, but you will find only helpful and truthful people giving solid advice in threads where it is sought.

In summary, this thread has Shyrem in it, and within the first 3 posts, so it gets a 7/10. I am sure with some JP and TT it can deliver even more, but that has yet to be determined.

8. scpod

Attending Physician
    Every thread is annoying to SOMEBODY. That's why there is no requirement that you read them all. The "ignore user" feature is something you might want to consider using if you have problems with specific people.

9. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Pharmacist
    This thread annoys me. I'm going to make sure you all get a good paddling. :D

10. scpod

Attending Physician
    Ummmm...that's my job!!! ;)

11. meggielou

Attending Physician

:lol::lol:

I was thinking the same thing.

And also, while there are some threads that are annoying and serve no purpose other than to rile up trouble :eyebrow:(*ahem*), SDN has been very helpful, and it's so nice to have a "support" network, even if I've never met most of the people in it!!

Like Shy said, you have to be selective in what you read and take some of the content for what it's worth/with a grain of salt.

If SDN is so obnoxious, no one's forcing you to be here. And we bid you adieu.

12. TexasTriathlete

Medical Student
    I hate every thread that meggielou posts on.

Posted via Mobile Device

13. meggielou

Attending Physician
    :laugh:

14. OCHO

Pre-Medical
    Now That Was Polite!

Now That Wasnt Polite!

15. BeachBlondie

BeachBlondie Put some tussin on it!

Medical Student
    *raises hand*

This entire post is about me.

SCORE!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. meggielou

Attending Physician

Do you expect anything less? :laugh:

18. OCHO

Pre-Medical
    Nope its about TT, havent you learned anything yet. The center of the universe is at the exact point TT will be sleeping when he is at GA PCOM hehehe

You know you bring up quite the point on this subject. However, I have seen him post a couple of nicer notes. Not necessarily good ones but nicer than the not so nice notes he does leave, when he does leave a note. :smuggrin:

19. qev

qev Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    having not read all the replies, just the OP's wall of text I'd say that I felt the same way as you while lurking on the pre-allo boards around this time of year.

I apped to MD schools only my first time around because I didn't know anything about DO. I got more information and through luck (sort of) people I know getting hurt around me and taking them to various clinics I've had a lot of exposure to DO's and am only applying DO this year because its a preference. This board has done a great job of educating me about the profession but also the people and the process.

The point of this ramble is that the people on the DO board (on average) are really great. They're all really helpful and usually there isn't much flaming here as opposed to the allo boards. I think your thread would be better suited there.

20. meggielou

Attending Physician
    good call. We're all lovely people over here :biglove:

21. MaseratiGT

MaseratiGT Legilimens!

Podiatry Student
    :laugh:

My complaint is against those people who type elephantine posts and make no use of punctuation. They also have no regard for the paragraph.

(Which is not regarding anyone in this annoying thread, so far.) :D

...Back to feet...

#19 MaseratiGT, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  22. GreenShirt

Medical Student
    Amen! Apparently the OP hasn't figured out SDN yet.

23. DeLaughterDO

DeLaughterDO Ghost in the Machine

Attending Physician
    remarked someone with barely double digit posts...

24. MLT2MT2DO

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm not exactly what the OPs point was. That there are annoying parts to SDN? There are always annoying parts in every aspect of life. Your "DO vs MD" examples are normally allopathic kiddies sneaking into our forums. This board has been extremely helpful and I'm still a ways from applying, but knowing and being prepared for whats to come will make everything easier and I think that some of the knowledge SDN has given me will show.

So you're annoyed...congrats to you, want a popsicle? I'm not sure why you felt your post was contributing ANYTHING to SDN. Next time vent on your MySpace.

25. slim78

Medical Student
    OP could probably make a pretty sweet youtube video too. Something along the lines of "LEAVE SDN ALONE"

[​IMG]