Feb 28, 2012
Status
In drosophila, recessive mutants A and B each cause a curly-wing phenotype when homozygous. However, transheterozygous flies (i.e. flies that are A/B) have curly wings, even though neither mutation is homozygous. Which of the following conclusions is MOST consistent with these results?

A. Mutations A and B complement each other; therefore they affect different genes.
B. Mutations A and B fail to complement each other; therefore they affect different genes.
C. Mutations A and B complement each other; therefore they affect the same gene.
D. Mutations A and B fail to complement each other; therefore they affect the same gene.

Answer: D
Can someone give a simpler explanation than TBR please? thanks.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They're very confused.

OP
C
Feb 28, 2012
Status
"The question states that mutants A and B are each recessive, meaning that they normally express their curly wing phenotype only when they are homozygous (i.e. A/A or B/B). However transheterozygous flies were made by crossing the two mutant lines to each other, resulting in some progeny which were A/B. Each individual mutant is still heterozygous but for some reason A/B flies have the curly wing phenotype."

chiddler

5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
"The question states that mutants A and B are each recessive, meaning that they normally express their curly wing phenotype only when they are homozygous (i.e. A/A or B/B). However transheterozygous flies were made by crossing the two mutant lines to each other, resulting in some progeny which were A/B. Each individual mutant is still heterozygous but for some reason A/B flies have the curly wing phenotype."
i'm sorry