Completeing Undergrad in 3 Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering a 7-Year BA/MD program with 3 years of college. I am considering potentially applying out after 3 years of undergrad (I realize I will lose my guaranteed spot if I do so).

My question is:

How difficult is it to apply out after 3 years? By the end of 3 years, I will have a full BA degree so it's not like I'll have less credits than anyone else. Will I be considered like a typical four-year student?

Do medical schools look down upon people who finish college in 3 years?

Any other advice concerning this topic is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I finished in 3 years, and applied during the final year.

My advice - Don't do it. Either graduate THEN apply, or do the normal four year cycle. Taking heavy course loads and traveling for interviews while trying to maintain good EC's in case you don't get in is hell. My GPA tanked senior year.

Were you still successful? When did you take MCATs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT in April of junior (2nd) year. I didn't have OCHEM 2 till the summer after. Ideally (IMO) you want to complete all the basic pre-reqs before taking it.

I did end up getting accepted, but if I hadn't I would be in a worse position for a second cycle, due to my drop in GPA for senior year.

So I'm considering a 7-Year BA/MD program with 3 years of college. I am considering potentially applying out after 3 years of undergrad (I realize I will lose my guaranteed spot if I do so).

My question is:

How difficult is it to apply out after 3 years? By the end of 3 years, I will have a full BA degree so it's not like I'll have less credits than anyone else. Will I be considered like a typical four-year student?

The negatives outweigh the positives, IMHO. Med schools don't reward rushing, and are not overly impressed with folks who finish up school in 3 years. If you finish in 3 years all you really accomplish is having less time to rack up impressive extra curricular experiences, research, and life experiences.

Now, if you had financial reasons that you wanted to finish up in 3 years so you could go out into the workforce for a year or two before med school, to pay for it, that might fly. Or if you were going to do 3 years and jump into a graduate program before med school for some articulable reason that might fly. Or to finish in 3 years so you can go off and do peace corps work or something similar you were passionate about, that might fly. But to finish in 3 years just to start med school a year early, that won't be looked at as a positive, and will as mentioned above mean you have less time to rack up ECs, do well on the MCAT, interview etc. Bad idea.

Not to mention that I think you lose out on a lot of the college experience by not doing a true 4 year liberal arts education. This is the best 4 years of your life -- you will never have this kind of freedom and lack of responsibility ever again. What's the rush?

I did undergrad in 3 years, and loved it!

Yes, you will have to cram 4 years worth of EC's and classes into 3, but if you do it well I'm convinced it is not much of a disadvantage.

If your thinking of doing a long fellowship then being a year younger is kinda cool.

If your already in a program though why would you even think about switching? Sounds like your all set, why make things more stressful for yourself.

My question is:

1) Why do you want to apply out? You've already got a guaranteed spot, and over half of all applicants in a given year don't get in.

2) It's more difficult than applying after 3 years of college (and I'm one who graduated in three years), but you generally won't be looked at differently because you graduated in 3 years instead of 4. You will be looked at differently if you don't have the same quality and quantity of experiences as someone who graduated in four years did.

Considering you're already in a short track program, I suggest sticking with it. If you choose to apply out, I suggest utilizing a gap year to explore some other interests. About half my class took at least 1 year off between undergrad and med school, so it's not like you'd be out of the ordinary.

The reason I must complete college in three years is because of the BA/MD program I am in. I was just considering applying out if I do really well during those three years (good GPA, MCAT, research, etc). My plan would be to graduate and then spend the next year doing research while applying to medical school (so I would essentially be applying to medical school after 3 years).

I know some people apply in their 3rd year (after only two years of college) but I feel that is too rushed.

The reason I must complete college in three years is because of the BA/MD program I am in. I was just considering applying out if I do really well during those three years (good GPA, MCAT, research, etc). My plan would be to graduate and then spend the next year doing research while applying to medical school (so I would essentially be applying to medical school after 3 years).

I know some people apply in their 3rd year (after only two years of college) but I feel that is too rushed.

Which didn't answer the question: Why do you want to apply out?

Once again, LESS THAN HALF of all applicants get accepted each year. You've already got a spot. If you drop it and apply out, you may not be able to pick up another. Stats are not everything, contrary to what some people on this site will tell you.