Completely lost, failing orgo 2 for the 2nd time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProjectM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so as the title states, this is how I’m ending the semester. I have a 3.1 gpa and I know for a fact this will bring my gpa down a ton. This is also my 2nd time taking this class so that definitely doesn’t look good on applications. I was going to study for the DAT starting in January since I’m supposed to be done with my prereqs and take it in April and apply during the summer and now, it seems like I’ll have to change my plans till I figure out what to do about orgo. Anyone have any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-med --> pre-dent --> pre-optometry

nah jk (kinda), assuming you're a junior it's not looking too good. It's likely you should be looking into applying for a masters program to up your gpa. with a 3.1 and decreasing, your odds are also decreasing. I recommend waiting on taking the DAT until like summer time so you can focus on your spring semester and try to bring up your gpa. It's also likely you'll do better on the DAT if you purely set time aside and focus on it.

Pre-med --> pre-dent --> pre-optometry

nah jk (kinda), assuming you're a junior it's not looking too good. It's likely you should be looking into applying for a masters program to up your gpa. with a 3.1 and decreasing, your odds are also decreasing. I recommend waiting on taking the DAT until like summer time so you can focus on your spring semester and try to bring up your gpa. It's also likely you'll do better on the DAT if you purely set time aside and focus on it.

I’m actually 22 and it’s my last semester of undergrad. And yeah I’m definitely looking into a masters. I think it’s too late to apply/register to take orgo 2 again in the spring so I’ll probably be able to take it in the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would definitely do a masters program and take that DAT between now and then. I wouldn't recommend taking orgo 2 in the summer if you failed the first and second time. Summer classes are extremely rigorous since it's only a month long. But do whatever's best for you, I'd probably take it while doing the masters program (FYI DAT scores only last 2 years)

Yeah I would definitely do a masters program and take that DAT between now and then. I wouldn't recommend taking orgo 2 in the summer if you failed the first and second time. Summer classes are extremely rigorous since it's only a month long. But do whatever's best for you, I'd probably take it while doing the masters program (FYI DAT scores only last 2 years)

Do you think it’s best to take orgo 2 while I’m in the masters program? You don’t think it will be too much? Also, thanks for the heads up about the dat score. I didn’t know that it only lasted 2 years.

Do you think it’s best to take orgo 2 while I’m in the masters program? You don’t think it will be too much? Also, thanks for the heads up about the dat score. I didn’t know that it only lasted 2 years.

Honestly most non-thesis masters programs aren't too bad from what I've heard. I think adding orgo 2 wouldn't be bad because I'm pretty sure you'll be taking a low amount of credits anyways. But again, do some research for yourself bc you know you best!

Honestly most non-thesis masters programs aren't too bad from what I've heard. I think adding orgo 2 wouldn't be bad because I'm pretty sure you'll be taking a low amount of credits anyways. But again, do some research for yourself bc you know you best!

Any recommendations for a non rigorous program to start me off with? Thanks for your help btw!!!

Any recommendations for a non rigorous program to start me off with? Thanks for your help btw!!!

I wish I could help you with that, but I'm an undergrad and was accepted this cycle so I haven't explored that route. Best of luck!!!

Check out the books "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" by David R. Klein. There are two books, first and second semesters. This advice might not be timely for you, but these books are amazing. I worked through these books parallel to our class text and they helped me tremendously.

Did you overhaul any study habits, strategies, for the the second go around? Just retaking the class again and hoping to do better the second time is a recipe for disappointment.

Reactions: 1 user