Completely new here!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am interested in dentistry and I hope that I can get replies or at least links of where to seek my answers.

1.) Do top dental schools want the same things that med schools want-solid reccs, hospital volunteering (obviously dental clinics), research, GPA, and instead of mcat, the DMAT?

2.) What is the sequence of dental schoool...i.e. 4 years dental school + how many years residency (I am interested particularly in the years that orthodontists and oral surgeons do)

3.) What years are actually stressful? That is, will it just be my dental years that are stressful. Is residency that bad compared to medicine? How is life after dental school (9-5 job?)

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am interested in dentistry and I hope that I can get replies or at least links of where to seek my answers.

1.) Do top dental schools want the same things that med schools want-solid reccs, hospital volunteering (obviously dental clinics), research, GPA, and instead of mcat, the DMAT?

2.) What is the sequence of dental schoool...i.e. 4 years dental school + how many years residency (I am interested particularly in the years that orthodontists and oral surgeons do)

3.) What years are actually stressful? That is, will it just be my dental years that are stressful. Is residency that bad compared to medicine? How is life after dental school (9-5 job?)

Thanks guys!

1. Yes, all schools accept the DMAT.

2. :rolleyes:

3. All 4 years are cake.

Hey,

Thanks guys!

!. As the lprevious poster said, all schools accept the DMAT, and all but a few will take the MCAT too. Most just do the MCAT so theyh can apply to med school concurrently since dental is their back up anyway. For the same reason most schools will be fine wih hospital shadowing as well.

2. Ortho and oral surgery man? Get with the program! Ask anyone here what the best specialties are and you'll get the same answer, OMFR (oral and maxillofacial radiology) and oral path. Unless you hate making money or something, in the case feel free to hit up ortho school.

3. :laugh: dental school is a breeze dude. 32 teeth man, that's like 8 teeth a year. No biggie.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a feeling hes joking :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You posted in Pre-Allo saying you were pursuing medicine/business before and that you were in it just for the money. Maybe you should shadow a dentist and see if it's really for you before you jump in too deeply. You don't make the big bucks in dentistry for the amount of time you put in like people tend to think. Nothing is worth doing if you aren't passionate about it.

!. As the lprevious poster said, all schools accept the DMAT, and all but a few will take the MCAT too. Most just do the MCAT so theyh can apply to med school concurrently since dental is their back up anyway. For the same reason most schools will be fine wih hospital shadowing as well.

2. Ortho and oral surgery man? Get with the program! Ask anyone here what the best specialties are and you'll get the same answer, OMFR (oral and maxillofacial radiology) and oral path. Unless you hate making money or something, in the case feel free to hit up ortho school.

3. :laugh: dental school is a breeze dude. 32 teeth man, that's like 8 teeth a year. No biggie.

yea, i'm trying to get into oral path, but my DMAT sucked!! i'm trying again next year though...

You posted in Pre-Allo saying you were pursuing medicine/business before and that you were in it just for the money. Maybe you should shadow a dentist and see if it's really for you before you jump in too deeply. You don't make the big bucks in dentistry for the amount of time you put in like people tend to think. Nothing is worth doing if you aren't passionate about it.

HAhahahah nice detective work

For your reading pleasure:

Hey guys,

I am at a stage where Im starting to realize the cons and pros as to why I am doing medicine. Pros: I am really amazing at my premed classes and I go to top 20 university...as in I have not received a grade below a 95 in any of my science exams) and I am managing close to a solid 4.0. I have been such an ideal candidate for the top med schools- have an excellent research position at a neighboring med school with the head physiology professor, summer job at a medical clinic, shadowing various specialities, and excellent community service. Yet at at the same time, I am having a miserable lifestyle - sleep, hygiene, social life. I know I could have an awesome social life because I really enjoy the company of others, but it seems that at this point in my life, its been work. And at the end of the day, I am going into medicine for the money and not for anything else. I am going to be even more miserable, because the workload will get only harder and I will get less and less sleep. At the end of the day, I am so frustrated at the fact that I will continue to make more sacrifices and reap the financial benefits in my 30s and I am not sure if I really want to do this for the sake of helping others. I am more along the attitudes and lines of living the dream now- fast cars and a big house.

As for now, as a sophomore, I am strongly considering taking about 18 credits of business classes over the next few semesters. I plan on taking the MCATS next year (junior year), but will not be applying to med school my senior year. Instead, I want to devote my efforts to doing business oriented activities and I even plan on taking a year off to work in the business world. So anyways, I have two questions for those who have advice about business. Just like med schools expect GPA, MCAT, etc... for top med schools, what can I do to land a top internship (at a finance company)? Do you think my success in my science classes will translate to success in the business world?

Thank you.

Well, I want to keep my discussion short and to the point. I am currently doing extremely well in all my premed classes at a top 20 university...what I mean is that I am getting straight As, and not just simply As, but to the point that my test averages are literally and have been ranked in the top of the class in all my premed classes. For example, for my orgo class, I have pushed my academic limits in the sense that I just start studying for exams 3 days before...study straight...and still manage to get the highest grade in the class out of a class of 500 smart kids. Clearly, I have demonstrated a knack for science and I know I have the aptitude for this field. Furthermore, at this moment, I have everything going for me- shadowing experience, summer at a medical clinic, undergrad research during the academic year at a neighboring medical school with the head physiology professor, + with excellent recommendations on the side..not to mention, a 3.98 GPA.

Yet...its come to the point where none of this means much to me anymore. I would love to help people, but not to the extent that it requires so much personal, social, physical, and mental sacrifices. While I put so much effort and reap the success of my hard work (consisting of allnighters at times and sacrifice of all aspects of life), I'm not sure that I can do this as a career lifestyle. Furthermore, I am not even much of a bookworm because I actually manage a social life during the weekends, but there are other necessities (i.e. working out, eating right, sleeping right, family life) that I am concerned I will be deprived of if I do medicine. Based on the preceding reasons, I have come to the conclusion that I may want to do investment banking out of financial interest, but also, I believe that I have the skillset and hope that my academic success in the sciences will translate the same way in the business program at my school.

Basically I was wondering what you guys think of the following plan:
Well, I am done with my premed reqs and I do plan on taking the MCAT next junior spring, but I wont apply to medical school (why you may ask? the MCAT is valid for up to 3 years and I will use that time period out). I will start the business program next spring (in addition to orgo and phys II), and I will still have to to take several finance courses in the summer to keep pace. Ultimately, my time will be occupied with finance classes and applying for internships in the remaining 2 years as I hope to pursue a finance major. After that, I hope to land an internship and ultimately a job after college with a top IBanking company (Goldman, JPMorgan, etc..). If I succeed and realize that I have a knack with the field, I will stick with business. If not, I will apply to med school. Is this path a smart idea, because I simply to not want to approach my career with a one-dimensional all-out path, because I am giving a shot at the idea that I might be really good at business. I want to give myself the opportunity, at the very least, to pursue this exploration. Though IBanking may stressful (not to the extent of medicine), I realize I can probably live a happier life on Wallstreet than in medicine.

Also, I really am not interested in hearing about thoughts on "dude, don't go into medicine for the money" because I have obviously reviewed those ideas with my friends. I am rather interested in your assessment of my plan.

By the way, you'd think someone so "smart" would be able to perform a simple internet search before embarassing themselves in front of hundreds of dental professionals and pre-professionals. Congrats man :thumbup:

For your reading pleasure:

OMG! This has to be a joke. Could a person even make this up. It is such well scripted BS that it might be the funniest thing I have ever read in my entire life.

Someone should Just COPY AND PASTE his posts into WIKI;

DEFINE

EGO-blah blah blah$$$$$$
SELF CENTERED- ME ME ME $$$$$ ME ME ME

armorshell, thats great.... I mean he is sooooo smart he could easily get a 42 on the DMAT... It is part GMAT AND MCAT. best of both worlds for him

Not a joke:

Hey,

I was wondering and I hope I don't get bashed on this, but is there a better chance of becoming a a dermatologist or an orthodontist? I am strongly considering lifestyle and salary options in the future and I had a few questions. I am actually planning on applying to both dental and medical schools and will decide which path I will pursue.

1.) My skepticism with dermatology is that it is such a difficult residency to get into but the lifestyle + salary is kickass so I want some advice on this topic. Basically, if you get into a top ten medical school, are you nearly guaranteed a residency assuming (average USMLE scores and an average student) in those schools? Because if I get offered admission to those schools (very slim chance), then I will strongly consider attending because I hope that with a little bit of hard work, I will get that dermatology residency.

2.) Can I transfer from medical school to dental school after two years assuming I did not get into a dermatology residency?

Thank you.

If you really do go to a top 20 school, you should have plenty of networking opportunities in the finance field; i.e. investment banking, quant. analysis, hedge fund analyst. You'd have the potential of making more than half a million with no debt from grad school by your second year as a hedge fund trader and have more enough financially to retire a lot sooner than an MD.

You'd have the potential of making more than half a million with no debt from grad school by your second year as a hedge fund trader and have more enough financially to retire a lot sooner than an MD.

I'm currently working as a hedge fund analyst. The range you're giving is kind of extreme, considering that an analysts pay rank hovers ~ 100K without bonuses. A successful associate might earn as much as you're saying, but still, that's pretty rare for second year off the turnip truck - you'll have MBA toting goons vying for those very same spots.

I'm currently working as a hedge fund analyst. The range you're giving is kind of extreme, considering that an analysts pay rank hovers ~ 100K without bonuses. A successful associate might earn as much as you're saying, but still, that's pretty rare for second year off the turnip truck - you'll have MBA toting goons vying for those very same spots.

Indeed extreme. I was aware of that so I mentioned it as potential earnings. But keep in mind extreme does not mean impossible. I met someone earning such figures a couple years ago, and he started at about $90k while still a sophomore undergrad at Harvard as an international student with strong work ethic.

Indeed extreme. I was aware of that so I mentioned it as potential earnings. But keep in mind extreme does not mean impossible. I met someone earning such figures a couple years ago, and he started at about $90k while still a sophomore undergrad at Harvard as an international student with strong work ethic.

well, by that logic, dentists have the potential to manage a 6-10 million dollar practice, whereby retiring before the majority of MD's or I-bankers... though it still doesn't mean anything. Using less than common cases doesn't really say much about the professions as a whole in "earning potential".