Completing Pre-requisites for 2023-24 cycle (during my gap year) for TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of an awkward situation - I didn't realize until receiving secondaries that for 6 of the TMDSAS schools, I would need 3 semester hours of biochemistry, and I only have 3 quarter hours of it. If I was still an undergraduate, I would just plan to take another biochemistry class this year, however, I am currently taking a gap year with a full-time job as a research assistant. In addition, I have already submitted my TMDSAS primary application.

My current plan is to enroll in an online summer class in July 2023 to meet this pre-requisite, letting TMDSAS know that I'm making a change to my planned courseload (which was originally none) and would need to add a new school to add in this class. I believe this is the best course of action as I believe I am certainly a candidate for those schools which require biochemistry. Does this make sense? Would TMDSAS schools look down on me doing this sort of last-minute? I suppose there isn't much of a choice - I can either apply to these schools this 2023-24 cycle with the plan to take this class or not apply to them at all, but I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that they aren’t worried about prerequisites so long as you have them by matriculation! So taking it in the summer would be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
This is totally okay. I didn’t take English 2 until May this year. I start med school in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user