COMPLEX/USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiBoyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious about something..
Ive seen some DO students post vaguely about their COMPLEX scores vs their step scores. Is this common practice for those who want to match into ACGME residency programs? How is it feasible to study simultaneously for two massive tests like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive seen some DO students post vaguely about their COMPLEX scores vs their step scores. Is this common practice for those who want to match into ACGME residency programs? How is it feasible to study simultaneously for two massive tests like that?

Just something to note: it's COMLEX not COMPLEX.

Many DO students study for both. They study for USMLE which is essentially studying for COMLEX but most take the COMLEX a week out and just cram OMM. Many do well with this method.

Reactions: 5 users
What is the benefit of having those two test scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the benefit of having those two test scores?
Someone correct me if Im wrong..

DO students typically apply for both MD and DO residencies.
MD residencies require USMLE
DO residencies require COMLEX

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks! :)

Follow up question: With the ACGME/AOA merger does anyone foresee a similar homogenization of entrance exams?

Follow up question: With the ACGME/AOA merger does anyone foresee a similar homogenization of entrance exams?

Although getting rid of the COMLEX is the logical thing to do, it won't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Most DO students can and should study for both exams. There are only ~3000 AOA residency slots and some 7000 DO students.

Reactions: 1 users

Many MD residencies (ACGME) accept the comlex now but still focus on USMLE. DO programs (formerly AOA) focus on comlex.

There is a sticky I have created in the Osteopathic medical student forum discussing this. Currently there are no plans to create a single exam. Both the nbome and NBME will continue administering the comlex and USMLE respectively.

Just something to note: it's COMLEX not COMPLEX.

Many DO students study for both. They study for USMLE which is essentially studying for COMLEX but most take the COMLEX a week out and just cram OMM. Many do well with this method.

I truly hope this is the case. I really don't want to study for two sets of boards. If studying for the USMLE means studying for the COMLEX, then that would be great. Essentially
I'm just hoping that the COMLEX is the USMLE with OMM.

I truly hope this is the case. I really don't want to study for two sets of boards. If studying for the USMLE means studying for the COMLEX, then that would be great. Essentially
I'm just hoping that the COMLEX is the USMLE with OMM.

The COMLEX is essentially a very poorly written USMLE with OMM sprinkled in.

As an aside, be ready to shell out extra to pay for the USMLE since very few DO schools dust your loans to pay for the exam (which is absurd).

Someone else is discussing this in another thread, but just to be clear... COMLEX is required for graduation from all DO schools and is also required to be licensed by the state Osteopathic Boards, correct? So its not a matter of "COMLEX or USMLE", but instead "COMLEX, or COMLEX and USMLE".