Step and USMLE confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stripedscarf

Reaction score
Hi, I have tried searching the internet far and wide to find the answer to this simple question but I cant find a definitive answer.
Now that Step 1 is P/F, and they did away with a part of Step 2, how does this effect DO students? Is USMLE still scored numerically? Doesnt this mean DO school would be harder than MD because of the added stress of the exams? I have also heard that DO students have to take both USMLE and step 3 in order to apply for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi--this question really doesn't require a confidential response. Could we please move this to the regular forums so that everyone can participate in the discussion?

In brief: USMLE step 2 CK is still scored numerically (CS is the portion that was canceled). I think what you mean is that a lot of DO students choose both to take the COMLEX and USMLEs because the USMLEs are seen more favorably by residency program directors, which is currently true. How exactly this affects students, nobody really knows, though there is speculation that it will merely shift the pressure to the Step 2/Level 2 exams. And/or increase the importance of med school "prestige" in evaluating residency candidates. Either of those scenarios probably are disadvantageous to DO schools, though the exams have always been stressful for both MD and DO students.

You can't take step 3 until after you graduate med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi--this question really doesn't require a confidential response. Could we please move this to the regular forums so that everyone can participate in the discussion?

In brief: USMLE step 2 CK is still scored numerically (CS is the portion that was canceled). I think what you mean is that a lot of DO students choose both to take the COMLEX and USMLEs because the USMLEs are seen more favorably by residency program directors, which is currently true. How exactly this affects students, nobody really knows, though there is speculation that it will merely shift the pressure to the Step 2/Level 2 exams. And/or increase the importance of med school "prestige" in evaluating residency candidates. Either of those scenarios probably are disadvantageous to DO schools, though the exams have always been stressful for both MD and DO students.

You can't take step 3 until after you graduate med school.
thank you! Yes you can, I am new to the site so am still learning how it works.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS, and Step 3 all together constitute USMLE. There is not single exam called USMLE. This may be partly why you are having trouble finding your answer.

Step 2 CK is still scored numerically. Step 1 is now P/F, CS is canceled I think, and Step 3 has always been irrelevant (for US graduates at least).

The DO system also has the COMLEX exams, but now that DO residencies merged into the MD Match, most DOs are taking the USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS, and Step 3 all together constitute USMLE. There is not single exam called USMLE. This may be partly why you are having trouble finding your answer.

Step 2 CK is still scored numerically. Step 1 is now P/F, CS is canceled I think, and Step 3 has always been irrelevant (for US graduates at least).

The DO system also has the COMLEX exams, but now that DO residencies merged into the MD Match, most DOs are taking the USMLE.
Yes, I essentially meant COMLEX vs USMLE. Are the COMLEX exams the same? or are they all still scored numerically? And does that mean DO students have to take COMLEX and step 3?

Yes, I essentially meant COMLEX vs USMLE. Are the COMLEX exams the same? or are they all still scored numerically? And does that mean DO students have to take COMLEX and step 3?
All DO’s must take all the levels on COMLEX.

After your first two years, you have to take comlex level 1 and can opt to take USMLE step 1. Step 1 will be p/f and level 1 will be p/f soon too.

After third year clinical rotations, you have to take comlex level 2 and can opt to take USMLE step 2. These are both scored.

There used to be an exam called the comlex level 2 PE and the USMLE step 2 CS. Both of these exams have been eliminated.

After you graduate, you must take comlex level 3. You can take USMLE step 3 too, but there’s no benefit as you’ve already matched into residency and these exams are for licensing purposes only. There are scores on these exams. But no one cares as again, you’ve already matched into residency.

Was that helpful?

Reactions: 1 users
COMLEX Level I (the NBOME equivalent of Step I) is P/F as of next year.

Level I PE (the NBOME equivalent of Step I CS) has been eliminated.