Complicated Dental School Timeline Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tothepark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone will be able to answer my question...

Currently UConn, UPenn, BU, Stony Brook, Buffalo (5 more schools in the next couple weeks)mhave all received my application, however, I have my prehealth committee interview tomorrow (11/08) for my committee letter. The school website states that they will mail out the letter within 28 days from the interview. So worst case scenario AADSAS will receive my letter lets say December 1st. They will have to send out my letter to all the schools. How long does it take for them to send out the letter, if my application has been mailed out already? Leading into my next question, is it even plausible to have an acceptance letter by January 31st, because I am also applying to the Airforce HPSP, which requires an acceptance letter by then.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

Currently UConn, UPenn, BU, Stony Brook, Buffalo (5 more schools in the next couple weeks)mhave all received my application, however, I have my prehealth committee interview tomorrow (11/08) for my committee letter. The school website states that they will mail out the letter within 28 days from the interview. So worst case scenario AADSAS will receive my letter lets say December 1st. They will have to send out my letter to all the schools. How long does it take for them to send out the letter, if my application has been mailed out already? Leading into my next question, is it even plausible to have an acceptance letter by January 31st, because I am also applying to the Airforce HPSP, which requires an acceptance letter by then.

Good question. Technically they do automated mail-outs every week, so if you just sit on it, they could take at least a week after you submit. However, I learned from a few schools (I was short an LOR) that as soon as I submit that LOR/letters, etc they can go in and get it electronically. So, I would highly recommend that you gently let all of your schools know by e-mail that you have submitted your committee letter and that it is available on your AADSAS application.

It is possible to have an acceptance by Jan 31st, but only if you can get an interview before then (I imagine it'd have to be at least a week or two before then). Sounds like you'd be cutting it close. Personally I have my package in for the Navy, but my first interview is Dec 5th, second is Jan 18th, so I'm also worried about getting an acceptance letter in time. Have you asked what happens if you get an acceptance later than Jan 31st? A waitlist or anything? My recruiter did not tell me a thing regarding a deadline for that.

Hi Guys,

Why did you apply so late?

It is possible to get an interview and an acceptance, but not likely in my opinion. There are schools that have interviews scheduled into January and February already.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. Technically they do automated mail-outs every week, so if you just sit on it, they could take at least a week after you submit. However, I learned from a few schools (I was short an LOR) that as soon as I submit that LOR/letters, etc they can go in and get it electronically. So, I would highly recommend that you gently let all of your schools know by e-mail that you have submitted your committee letter and that it is available on your AADSAS application.

It is possible to have an acceptance by Jan 31st, but only if you can get an interview before then (I imagine it'd have to be at least a week or two before then). Sounds like you'd be cutting it close. Personally I have my package in for the Navy, but my first interview is Dec 5th, second is Jan 18th, so I'm also worried about getting an acceptance letter in time. Have you asked what happens if you get an acceptance later than Jan 31st? A waitlist or anything? My recruiter did not tell me a thing regarding a deadline for that.

My Airforce recruiter told me there may also be a "2nd board" in March. He said that if possible try to avoid this, and have it in by Jan 31st. Its probably hit or miss, and only if they have scholarships remaining after the first deadline.

Why did you apply so late?

It is possible to get an interview and an acceptance, but not likely in my opinion. There are schools that have interviews scheduled into January and February already.

Best of luck to you.

I applied late because of financial reasons. I am currently working as volunteer coordinator (started in September), but not getting paid much, which only allows me to apply to a couple of schools per pay check. Hopefully a miracle can happen..

So, after spending hours on these forums, and looking at accepted/rejected profiles. I'm concerned about acceptances post-dec. Can anyone shed light, post-dec interview acceptances?