Complicated GPA situation....need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mbpautz762

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone - I just finished my undergraduate degree last semester, at the age of 24. I just recently decided to try to make it to medical school, but I have a unique situation with my GPA.

I started off at a technical college and transferred to a 4-year college to finish my degree. at the tech college, I basically screwed up bad with attendance several semesters and ended up with a lousy GPA (2.1!). I finished my degree at the other college with a GPA of 3.3 (transfer classes didn't count toward my GPA at the 4-year college) - a huge difference. I guess I had a lot of growing up to do...

anyway, here's the problem. my transcript shows my good 3.3 GPA and my poor tech 2.1 GPA separately, along with my cumulative average for all schools - a very un-competitive 2.6. I can take more classes post-bacc. to raise my 3.3 to a 3.6, but I will still have that ugly 2.1 taking it down. here's the question: Assuming that I improve the rest of my application and ace the MCATs when I take them, do you think medical schools will be willing to look past my crappy 2.1 to see that I also had a 3.6 (and 4.0 post-bacc.), even though my cumulative would still be below 3.0? Keep in mind it will be real close, like 2.98.

I've already checked with my med-school of choice, and they don't automatically cut-off consideration at 3.0, so I might still have a chance there. honestly, I don't really care about getting into a top 15 school or anything, I just would like the opportunity to go to ANY medical school! I'll be working as an EMT in the meantime, and volunteering at a free-clinic and a local hospital. thanks for your help everyone!
 
As long as you're not screened out on pure numbers, the committee should review your file and see the progress you've made. Get all A's in your post-bacc and do well on the MCAT. I think you have a chance. It's going to be a hard road, but there are success stories on this forum from people who have faced similar "academic adversity."
 
First off, I apologize for my ignorance, but what is the difference between a technical college and a "regular" undergrad college? Is the technical college not a BA/BS-granting institution? If not, is there any chance this is a transcript loop hole? I doubt it, but might be worth it to check. I remember someone saying that their paramedic classes (or something akin to that) didn't count.

More importantly, would you consider a DO school? I hear they're much more forgiving of a "rough start" if you show a good upward trend. Might want to read up a bit about DO schools in the DO forum on SDN.

Regardless of where you choose to apply, I suggest trying to bring your cumulative gpa up as much as possible, make all of the other aspects of your application as impeccable as possible (ECs (volunteering, clinical, research, etc.), stellar MCAT, great LORs, compelling personal statement), and apply broadly to everywhere you would consider going. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you're right - technical colleges generally award 2-year technical degrees instead of 4-year B.S. or B.A. degrees. I'll look into a possible loophole, but I'm not too optimistic about it.

Also, I've considered a D.O. school, but I really really want that M.D! I'll probably apply to a D.O. school or two just in case though.
 
I've already checked with my med-school of choice, and they don't automatically cut-off consideration at 3.0, so I might still have a chance there. honestly, I don't really care about getting into a top 15 school or anything, I just would like the opportunity to go to ANY medical school! I'll be working as an EMT in the meantime, and volunteering at a free-clinic and a local hospital. thanks for your help everyone!

Don't be too sanguine; just because they don't have an official cut-off doesn't mean that they'll give you a good shot. There's no way of telling how closely they'll actually look at all the "soft" stuff (essays, life experience, etc) after they've seen the 3.0.

Keep your hopes up, but not too far. Apply widely, and unless DO schools are incompatible with your career goals, apply to them as well. Your GPA puts you seriously behind the 8-ball without reference to its age or the reasons for it.
 
Hello everyone - I just finished my undergraduate degree last semester, at the age of 24. I just recently decided to try to make it to medical school, but I have a unique situation with my GPA.

I started off at a technical college and transferred to a 4-year college to finish my degree. at the tech college, I basically screwed up bad with attendance several semesters and ended up with a lousy GPA (2.1!). I finished my degree at the other college with a GPA of 3.3 (transfer classes didn't count toward my GPA at the 4-year college) - a huge difference. I guess I had a lot of growing up to do...

anyway, here's the problem. my transcript shows my good 3.3 GPA and my poor tech 2.1 GPA separately, along with my cumulative average for all schools - a very un-competitive 2.6. I can take more classes post-bacc. to raise my 3.3 to a 3.6, but I will still have that ugly 2.1 taking it down. here's the question: Assuming that I improve the rest of my application and ace the MCATs when I take them, do you think medical schools will be willing to look past my crappy 2.1 to see that I also had a 3.6 (and 4.0 post-bacc.), even though my cumulative would still be below 3.0? Keep in mind it will be real close, like 2.98.

I've already checked with my med-school of choice, and they don't automatically cut-off consideration at 3.0, so I might still have a chance there. honestly, I don't really care about getting into a top 15 school or anything, I just would like the opportunity to go to ANY medical school! I'll be working as an EMT in the meantime, and volunteering at a free-clinic and a local hospital. thanks for your help everyone!

I hear you about not wanting to be a DO. You want that MD after your name and there is nothing wrong with that. Let me tell you. My brother went to a community college and did really bad. He transferred to UF after completing 1 year at Miami Dade comm college and 2 years at Santa fee comm college. He graduated with a 3.3 in Microbiology from UF. He also got 24 on the MCAT the first time, and i think a 28 the second time. Maybe higher, i'm not sure. Anyway he applied to maybe 8 schools. He got accepted to one. I think it was called Santa Barbara medical school out in California. Anyway he applied to NOVA south Eastern DO program. He got in by the skin of his teeth however he left NOVA during his first year. He didn't like it at all. He then looked at a school in the Caribbean called ST. Georges Medical School. To make a long story short. He just finished his third year in New York and placed in the 96 percentile for the USMLE I. Yeah a 96% !

My best friend who i have known for over 16 years failed Organic Chemistry and of course took it over and did ok. He applied to 9 schools including to St. Georges and was denied to all of them. YES ALL! He applied to ROSS medical school and got in. Long story short, he is just finishing his IM residency at UMDNJ in New Jersey. I spoke with him the other day. He was just given an offer for $180,000 as a hospitalist in Minnesota.

Man this is for everyone. THERE ARE SCHOOLS OUT THERE!!!! DO MORE RESEARCH!!!! If you want to know more. Just ask buddy!

Please excuse my typing. My girl friend fell asleep on my lap and i am trying to balance this thing on one knee.

MARS.
 
I really don't mean to get way off point here or start a debate that's been adequately discussed elsewhere, but I don't quite get the "I hear you about not wanting to be a DO" thing....Just as a personal sidenote...i'm in a similar boat as the OP (post-bacc overcoming low ugrad grades-i'm 26 now)...my need and desire for the "MD" has severely diminished with each passing day since i've gone back to school. For me, this process has been waaay too difficult to get choosy at the end. I'll admit that given a relatively equal choice (geographically and tuition) between an MD or DO school I'd probably go MD for practical reasons....but If i get into ONE DO school at this point I will be ecstatic. I think in 2007 it's still valid to say "hey i really could see myself as a surgeon or derm or ent" so maaaybe (statistically) you have a slight disadvantage going DO, but at the start of each day you'll still be a physician doing the identical daily things as any other MD or DO....not to be "that (cheesy) guy" but if you are that focused on 2 letters, maybe it says something more important about you or your motivations....
 
I really don't mean to get way off point here or start a debate that's been adequately discussed elsewhere, but I don't quite get the "I hear you about not wanting to be a DO" thing....Just as a personal sidenote...i'm in a similar boat as the OP (post-bacc overcoming low ugrad grades-i'm 26 now)...my need and desire for the "MD" has severely diminished with each passing day since i've gone back to school. For me, this process has been waaay too difficult to get choosy at the end. I'll admit that given a relatively equal choice (geographically and tuition) between an MD or DO school I'd probably go MD for practical reasons....but If i get into ONE DO school at this point I will be ecstatic. I think in 2007 it's still valid to say "hey i really could see myself as a surgeon or derm or ent" so maaaybe (statistically) you have a slight disadvantage going DO, but at the start of each day you'll still be a physician doing the identical daily things as any other MD or DO....not to be "that (cheesy) guy" but if you are that focused on 2 letters, maybe it says something more important about you or your motivations....


I hear this argument all the time. It always concludes that because a person does not want to go the DO route that they must be superficial in the sense that they are focused on the letters after their name.

I'm 33. A low gpa candidate. I do not want to apply to DO schools. If I work with DO's in the future I will treat them as absolute equals and encourage the appropriate confidence in them in as much as their work as a physician deserves. If ever involved in any selection capacities I would encourage looking at quality DO applicants.

In short I am a friend and ally of the DO profession. Do not make assumptions about that or me or the OP personally unless presented with the evidence.

I do not like the post graduate situation for DO's--aside from the quality of their education. I do not agree with the professional organizational strategies of DO education. Their professed goals are not carried out in the reality of their market strategy. I want an academic residency spot that will give me a higher potential for opportunities in specialty training. I do not want to dependent on the geographic variance of opinion or prevalence of DO's for my opportunities. In other words, I don't want to live in the midwest beyond a short stint involved in getting an MD degree. The cities I like are heavily dominated by big time academic MD prejudices that severely impact the opportunities of DO's.

For these reason I'm taking my chances on limiting my applications to MD schools. I do not think this is shallow. It's ultimately practical in regards to my goals.
 
well having reasons is not shallow or superficial so my post wasn't aimed at you nor anyone else with informed, thoughtful reasons. That being said, would you actually look for another career if DO was your last and only option? That's not obnoxiously rhetorical, I'm actually curious to see people's perspectives on this. I think that's maybe what I could have made more clear in my response; I do prefer the allopathic route for various reasons as well, but for certain people (me and the op - low grades) it's just hard to stay this picky...i would never put medicine aside entirely if I couldn't get into an allopathic school....i guess i made a judgment about people who would.
 
well having reasons is not shallow or superficial so my post wasn't aimed at you nor anyone else with informed, thoughtful reasons. That being said, would you actually look for another career if DO was your last and only option? That's not obnoxiously rhetorical, I'm actually curious to see people's perspectives on this. I think that's maybe what I could have made more clear in my response; I do prefer the allopathic route for various reasons as well, but for certain people (me and the op - low grades) it's just hard to stay this picky...i would never put medicine aside entirely if I couldn't get into an allopathic school....i guess i made a judgment about people who would.


Sure. I didn't mean to sound argumentative. Its just a prevalent sentiment put forth by the legions of newly converted DO premeds that I find obtuse.

I've thought a lot about this too and am also curious about other peoples perspective on the issue.

You're right though. If faced with multiple application cycles I would reconsider the DO option. However if you even mention that in these forums or the preosteo forum you'll likely get burned at the stake. Another area of sdn culture I think is quite ridiculous. Which incidentally leads me to another reason for not going DO. I hate the cycle of inferiority perpetuated by the newly converted on themselves by involving themselves in a reactionary and defensive culture. Also, you will constantly hear DO's with lower numbers constantly professing an undying love for the supposedly different and hollistic approaches to medicine. Hypocrisy. It doesn't sit well with me. At least Carribean grads are straight up about it.