This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So I am finishing my applications for MD/DO. My senior year in undergrad I was accused of theft and stalking through the school's complaint system. I was barred from campus during the process but was still able to complete coursework

Question #1: does this count as institutional action and/or a suspension?

The accusations were dropped, no "guilty/not guilty" due to me agreeing not to attend graduation and have a meeting with the accusers. After the accusations were dropped, I was considered to be in good standing with the university.

Question #2: how bad will this look to admission committees?

Question #3: how would be the best way to explain this?

Question #4: I am planning on saying on the applications that I have been the recipient of institutional action (though not due to being found "guilty), is that a good idea?

Also, back in 2010 I enlisted in the Navy and was separated during Basic Training (Entry Level Separation, which is not considered to be Honorable/Dishonorable, it is basically like we didn't know him enough to give him either designation). I suffered a deep depression during Basic, that was labelled as an erroneous enlistment. I have bounced back strongly from that, and am in a much better place mentally and ready to take on the stress of med school.

Question #5: how bad will this look to admission committees?

Question #6: how would be the best way to explain this?

Other than that I got really good grades for my first degree and for the pre-reqs (3.86 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA), and strong letters of recommendation and extracurricular/work/volunteer experiences. I will be taking the MCAT June 30th and have been studying hard for it and feel that I will do well (but we'll see). I'm nervous as hell for the issues mentioned previously.

Any input/advice would be hugely appreciated, and thank you so much for your time in reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

doesn't sound like an institutional action to me. However you must check with your school.

Also, if you have never been honorably or dishonorably discharged from the military, why would you mention it?

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't sound like an institutional action to me. However you must check with your school.

Also, if you have never been honorably or dishonorably discharged from the military, why would you mention it?

I guess I'm figuring, when in doubt disclose?

And it is considered "Institutional Action" by my school, even though it didn't come from a ruling.

Thank you for replying, btw.

I guess I'm figuring, when in doubt disclose?

And it is considered "Institutional Action" by my school, even though it didn't come from a ruling.

Thank you for replying, btw.
Well that's unfortunate. I'm not sure why you have an institutional action against you for just being accused. Seems like since the accusations were dropped you should be able to have the IA removed from your record. If your school won't remove the IA, then I think you have to answer yes to the question.

Sorry about your situation. I admit I'm not experienced with this at all, this is just my opinion. Hopefully other people can chime in.

Well that's unfortunate. I'm not sure why you have an institutional action against you for just being accused. Seems like since the accusations were dropped you should be able to have the IA removed from your record. If your school won't remove the IA, then I think you have to answer yes to the question.

Sorry about your situation. I admit I'm not experienced with this at all, this is just my opinion. Hopefully other people can chime in.
  • Institutional Action: Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition. https://students-residents.aamc.org...cle/sections-1-3-your-background-information/

Status
Not open for further replies.