Complicated WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lymphocyte

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please delete if this isn't appropriate. I have a complicated story and would appreciate any helpful thoughts.

US-IMG from Australia. 252/245/Pass. First attempt. ECFMG certificate and US citizenship in hand. For what it's worth, I hold full general registration in Australia.

PGY-2 with rotations in neurology, cardiology, ICU, pulm, 2 x ED, psychiatry, plus a few surgical terms. Nearly every consultant has called me the best resident they've ever worked with, and I think they mean it.

My professional goal is to help develop and co-ordinate a regional stroke service. I will apply Sept 15, and I have no geographical preferences, though my home state is Oregon.

Otherwise: 1 non first author publication, fancy scholarships in college and medical school, significant experience in QI and patient safety (including consulting for WHO) that's continued on into residency, clinical lecturer with the local medical school in Australia.

Negatives:
1. I have 6 months UCSE (including 3 in neurology), but failed to secure LORs. They were offered, but I thought my career was heading in another direction at the time. Stupid. Now it's 4 years later... They might remember me, or the effusive term evaluations could end up in an MPSE **if I can get it organised 2 years out of medical school**. I don't really know what to do.

2. 6 months leave of absence in medical school with one failed term (ObGyn). This was due to a car accident and sequale. No further issues since in medical school or residency.

Specfic questions:
1. Do I have reasonable chances anywhere? I'm especially interested in stroke or neuro-ICU.

2. No US letters. But I can get extremely strong letters from a stroke director at a big Australian hospital, a cardiology fellow at Cleveland Clinic, and a psychiatrist. I can also get one from a very well known spinal surgeon. My programme director is super supportive, and will also write something.

3. And I hate to do it, because I love neurology, but I might end up using IM to sneak into neuro-ICU. Any thoughts about this option or a WAMC?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please delete if this isn't appropriate. I have a complicated story and would appreciate any helpful thoughts.

US-IMG from Australia. 252/245/Pass. First attempt. ECFMG certificate and US citizenship in hand. For what it's worth, I hold full general registration in Australia.

PGY-2 with rotations in neurology, cardiology, ICU, pulm, 2 x ED, psychiatry, plus a few surgical terms. Nearly every consultant has called me the best resident they've ever worked with, and I think they mean it.

My professional goal is to help develop and co-ordinate a regional stroke service. I will apply Sept 15, and I have no geographical preferences, though my home state is Oregon.

Otherwise: 1 non first author publication in Cell, fancy scholarships in college and medical school, significant experience in QI and patient safety (including consulting for WHO) that's continued on into residency, clinical lecturer with the local medical school in Australia.

Negatives:
1. I have 6 months UCSE (including 3 in neurology), but failed to secure LORs. They were offered, but I thought my career was heading in another direction at the time. Stupid. Now it's 4 years later... They might remember me, or the effusive term evaluations could end up in an MPSE **if I can get it organised 2 years out of medical school**. I don't really know what to do.

2. 6 months leave of absence in medical school with one failed term (ObGyn). This was due to a car accident and sequale. No further issues since in medical school or residency.

Specfic questions:
1. Do I have reasonable chances anywhere? I'm especially interested in stroke or neuro-ICU.

2. No US letters. But I can get extremely strong letters from a stroke director at a big Australian hospital, a cardiology fellow at Cleveland Clinic (fully-trained electrophysiologist in Australia doing super sub-specialty stuff in the US--thought it would be helpful from a stroke/prelim med point of view), and a psychiatrist. I can also get one from a very well known spinal surgeon. My programme director is super supportive, and will also write something.

3. And I hate to do it, because I love neurology, but I might end up using IM to sneak into neuro-ICU. Any thoughts about this option or a WAMC?

You didn't mention your year of graduation - this is important. Your scores are decent, and the fact that you are a US citizen is a plus.

However, you really need US letters, particularly from a neurologist. Not to say you wouldn't be able to match somewhere without one, but it'll be that much harder.

Reactions: 1 user
You didn't mention your year of graduation - this is important. Your scores are decent, and the fact that you are a US citizen is a plus.

However, you really need US letters, particularly from a neurologist. Not to say you wouldn't be able to match somewhere without one, but it'll be that much harder.

Unfortunately, the only "US letter" will be from a foreign attending doing a fellowship in the US. I do have neurology letters, but only from Australia. I know they might not cut it, but it's beyond my control at this point.

I have very positive remarks on my MPSE during my US rotations, but 4 years seems way too long to ask for a LoR.

Thank you for your feedback.