composite letter vs composite packet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaki

needs help
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference? some schools specifically asked for a "composite packet," which made me think they want a single pre-medical committee letter, along with the individual recommendation included.

However, my undergraduate school pre-medical office says that they send only a single letter, and that usually the receiving medical school is not allowed to see the individual recommendations they themselves got, so they don't send those.

If the medical school asks for a "composite packet" in my case, should I make an effort to have my individual writers send in their letters too? I was hoping to avoid bugging them for more letters after they sent theirs in to the pre-medical committee.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a difference? some schools specifically asked for a "composite packet," which made me think they want a single pre-medical committee letter, along with the individual recommendation included.

However, my undergraduate school pre-medical office says that they send only a single letter, and that usually the receiving medical school is not allowed to see the individual recommendations they themselves got, so they don't send those.

If the medical school asks for a "composite packet" in my case, should I make an effort to have my individual writers send in their letters too? I was hoping to avoid bugging them for more letters after they sent theirs in to the pre-medical committee.

Thanks!

Many schools compose one single letter from all the letters that an applicant has, and that is called a composite letter. My school, however, simply sends a packet that contains all the letters in one's file, and we call it a composite letter packet.

Many schools compose one single letter from all the letters that an applicant has, and that is called a composite letter. My school, however, simply sends a packet that contains all the letters in one's file, and we call it a composite letter packet.

Do they include a committee letter along with all of those individual LORs? I believe that's how they do it my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Schools that do not have a pre-medical committee will use the packet service. Your school uses a committee letter, which is much better. Feel lucky!

As for schools requiring the packet, that I am not sure of. I know some schools request individual letters from research advisors and the like though.

thanks much for the replies, guys! much appreciated!