Composition of School List

Started by bee17
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bee17

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning to apply to ~20 M.D./Ph.D. programs this cycle. For M.D. only applicants, I have heard that a 20-school list should consist of 5 safety schools, 10 match schools, and 5 reach schools. Does this advice hold true for M.D./Ph.D. admissions, or would you recommend something different? Sometimes I feel like every school is a reach school!
 
I am planning to apply to ~20 M.D./Ph.D. programs this cycle. For M.D. only applicants, I have heard that a 20-school list should consist of 5 safety schools, 10 match schools, and 5 reach schools. Does this advice hold true for M.D./Ph.D. admissions, or would you recommend something different? Sometimes I feel like every school is a reach school!
Yes, +\- a couple schools depending on the strength of your application and the unpredicatable nature of the process. Also always apply to your state school if they have a favorable bias for instate applicants...(also true for md only I guess)