Compounding and Clinical Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fai

One who wants to be many
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I've learned that you can become a Compounding Pharmacist and work at a Compounding pharmacy.

Now this sounds interesting, I understand the settings of compounding and clinical being different but what would a typical work day/shift be like for a compounding pharmacist vs a clinical one? I struggled to volunteer at South Nassau and Franklin General for a feel for the Clinical route myself, but what do they really do?

I'm more interested in the mixing aspects of Pharmacy than dispensing. I wouldn't mind one-on-one patient contact but I also don't mind working behind-the-scenes. I just really dig the idea of making drugs (not researching) but also administering as well.

Also what is the job market looking like for Compounding pharmacists?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a compounding technician and there are endless possibilities to compounding. Pretty much they make medications using active ingredients purchased from a wholesaler and mix other additives in there. We do veterinary medications, hormone replacement therapy, discontinued medications or if someone can't take tablets and there is no manufactured liquid, then we will convert it to liquid using tabs and suspending agents it really is a fun and is truly an art.

I am a compounding technician and there are endless possibilities to compounding. Pretty much they make medications using active ingredients purchased from a wholesaler and mix other additives in there. We do veterinary medications, hormone replacement therapy, discontinued medications or if someone can't take tablets and there is no manufactured liquid, then we will convert it to liquid using tabs and suspending agents it really is a fun and is truly an art.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find that job? And are there additional certifications for compounding technician? Sounds pretty interesting

There are many ways to get "certified" in compounding.. You can look up PCCA Compounding or NPTA compounding and find classes that will teach you everything.. I got lucky and found a pharmacy that is independent and they had the compounding setup within.