Compounding and PBMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor M

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This excerpt was taken from a certain PBM. Read the language and tell me how ridiculous this is.

Payment for compound claims will be based upon the Usual and Customary Retail Price submitted, or the submitted ingredient cost plus the preferred brand dispensing fee, whichever is less. Network Provider shall not be reimbursed for non-FDA approved ingredients, including bulk chemicals, used in compounding. In the event Network Provider uses only bulk chemicals in the compounding of a prescription drug, then Network Provider shall receive no reimbursement for such prescription drug. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event --- determines, in its sole discretion, that reimbursement for bulk chemicals is appropriate in a situation, then Network Provider shall receive the lesser of: AWP of the FDA-approved readily available product or AWP of the compound or bulk chemical(s)

So basically, when i run the claim at POS it rejects with a claim exceed Dollar limit. So i call this PBM and they get all the NDCs for the product, override it and the claims goes through. However, at the end, the Rep says, if this claim is audited and found to be in excess of plan limits, reimbursement will be reduced to what it should be, do you agree. I said yes because i made sure i submitted the compound correctly. However, after reading the above in the contract, i am convinced that this is a scam to get me to make the compound, the PBM pays, and then will retract payment later, keeping the money themselves. Then again, since i called the PBM and they overrode it, that to me is them saying to me that the ingredients are appropriate.

This is the sort of crap im talking about with these companies. Is it covered or not? If it is not, why override it? Why let it go through at POS? Just reject the damn claim. NDC NOT COVERED. For all of you who say PBMs are needed, i would be happy to post more language from certain ones and you can read for yourself how ridiculous it is to do business with them.

Discuss

Members don't see this ad.

"Compound claims are highly susceptible to audit each time the claim is submitted for payment. During the audit process, --- AWP will be utilized to determine the appropriate payment due. Claims found to be in excess of the allowable amount will be reduced accordingly by --- and offset in the Network Provider‘s next regularly scheduled remittance. Additionally and for clarification only, in the event --- determines upon audit or otherwise that a compound is submitted in violation of any of the foregoing requirements, such claim(s) shall be subject to recoupment and offset."

The contract is just a scam.

This must be why I've been getting rejects on compounds with Hydroquinone powder for the last two months. Compounding has been a nice refuge as far as reimbursement. Guess that is over now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Becareful unchained as u may be audited unfairly and they may try to recoup funds!

I thought you could run a compounding pharmacy with only cash patients because compounded meds weren't covered. Guess I was wrong...

I thought you could run a compounding pharmacy with only cash patients because compounded meds weren't covered. Guess I was wrong...

Oh, they are "covered" supposedly. From the wording above and from the litigation i have seen online where pharmacies are suing the PBMs, they are covered so the sponsor pays and then years later, the PBM retracts the claim claiming "over priced compound". Medco is guilty of this as can be seen below:

http://ncpanet.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/another-year-another-pbm-legal-settlement/

Why do you even bother running a compound through insurance? Get them to pay cash for it so when the PBMs try to audit you, tell them to go pound rocks because you don't have a contract with them.