1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

compression hose

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by NERDY, Aug 14, 2011.

1. NERDY

NERDY Member
    10+ Year Member

I was thinking of getting some compression hose/stockings. Any suggestions where to go (online or in person). The hospital store was pretty pricey. Thanks for the input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. han14tra

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just use really tight knee high socks to prevent fainting in the OR from blood pooling in my legs. I also drink a bottle of gatorade a day. IMO, no need for compression stockings unless you have a diagnosis of venous insufficiency, varicose veins, etc.

4. Smurfette

Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can buy light compression knee-high stockings at Walgreens/CVS/whatever your local pharmacy is for like $15-20. Found it most helpful intern year while my body was trying to adjust to all the standing/walking on a long 30+ hour call or in the later years on a busy rotation/long OR cases.

5. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    See, I've thought about it, but my crotch-at-knees-yet-still-high-water scrubs are embarrassing enough without adding granny stockings peeking out underneath them. :laugh:

6. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They were a life saver for me during surgery. I have issues with venous return and will faint quick from standing for extended periods. Put me on a tilt table and I'm out in less than 5 min. Technically I can get a script for the pricy ones (they often go for $80-100) but I just buy the cheapies and they work fine. I bought a few pairs online for about $20-25 each. The place I used was Discount Surgical Stockings, but there are a million other ones as well.

I wore them for IM and OB as well and a day of rounding really was a lot less exhausting and my legs were definitely less tired as a result!