Computer at DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spenguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first of all, i know read this info is somewhere on sdn a while ago but I've been looking and can't find it.

What computer does DMU give to all students (or was it a tablet)? Brand and specifications would be helpful. Also when do we recieve it?

Just trying to figure out if that computer will suit me or if I should buy a surface pro or mac air as well.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I do not go there but I do not think a school would dictate a brand that you can use, personally I would recommend a Mac given that they are more reliable and if something does go wrong Apple goes out of their way to fix the problem. I have several classmates with Windows laptops who had their machines breakdown at some very bad times during basic sciences, one during an exam.

you may want to get those if you want, however DMU generally tries to require you have your school specific computer test days. I would say 95% of the class ends up using it. DMU sets it up to be streamline when on campus. If you have any problems with it, DMU deals with it. And I think every two years they change computers. so the class ahead of mine and us got all Toshiba proteges. The next two classes got some HP computer. Not sure what the deal is now. It is a decent enough computer, but I haven't touched mine since I got a macbook. so the computer isn't amazing by any means. but it does what you need it to do (unless you also need to game on it).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So first of all, i know read this info is somewhere on sdn a while ago but I've been looking and can't find it.

What computer does DMU give to all students (or was it a tablet)? Brand and specifications would be helpful. Also when do we recieve it?

Just trying to figure out if that computer will suit me or if I should buy a surface pro or mac air as well.

Thanks

Class of 2018 has HP Elitebook 840

Class of 2017 and 2019 have the same or very similar computers which are also some type of HP elitebook from what I can tell, don't know the specific number on that one.

You receive your computer during orientation week.

Reactions: 1 users
Hp elitebook Folio 9480m for 2019

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I do not go there but I do not think a school would dictate a brand that you can use, personally I would recommend a Mac given that they are more reliable and if something does go wrong Apple goes out of their way to fix the problem. I have several classmates with Windows laptops who had their machines breakdown at some very bad times during basic sciences, one during an exam.

Depends on the school. Mine tells us not to get Macs because we won't have tech support for them, but I'd estimate over half of the class uses one type of MacBook or another, and most of us have fewer problems than the people with PCs.

Depends on the school. Mine tells us not to get Macs because we won't have tech support for them, but I'd estimate over half of the class uses one type of MacBook or another, and most of us have fewer problems than the people with PCs.

Interesting, its Windows machines that are most likely to fail on people at the wrong time, I knew several classmates who had their Windows machines break during important times. Macbooks are usually more expensive but then again when something does go wrong, Apple actually helps its customers. Even the more expensive PC vendors are weak when it comes to technical support.

Last edited:
The computer is included in tuition right? Is it possible to not get the laptop? I'm looking to get a maxed out/nearly maxed out Surface Book. Do you still have to get the school computer if your personal laptop is a Windows machine with the required specifications?
Yes it is included in the tuition, and you absolutely have to have it. You also must use the school computer for exams.

The computer technically isn't yours until they sell it to you when you graduate (i hear it is for a dollar or something, i will find out next month), but in DMU's mind, you are renting the laptop your 4 years. So the benefit is that if you need anything, a new battery, a new cord, technical support, anything at all related to the computer, DMU help desk provides it. When they give you the computer, it is fully loaded with everything you need and already linked to the network with DMU as the administrator. You can still download stuff, but any major things need to be done by DMU. This allows them to monitor your computer during tests, release lectures in a single video format, make you watch patient encounters per their video program, etc. Sure it can be done with another computer, but if anything ever happens and you don't submit a test, you can't access a video, or you can't get the lecture slides, DMU says, "not our problem, we gave you a computer so this wouldn't happen, take your fail and have a nice day."