Computer Engineering Major at UCSD applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevbox

Vendor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. :D This site has been great and I've gotten a lot of great info. Just wanted to introduce myself and also see if I could get some advice.

I just graduated from UCSD this past June in computer engineering. I decided to try for med school my junior year. I was a little discouraged by computer programming, I couldn't see myself doing it for the rest of my life. I started getting into medical informatics and was fortunate to have an abstract accepted and pending publication. I've also had some great experiences hospital volunteering and being mentored by a radiation oncologist at Moore's Cancer Center at UCSD.

I'm going to submit primaries this week, I was wondering if I've got the right list of schools considering my grades and background.

Are there any other fellow computer science/engineering med school people out there?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=6171

Thanks for any help!

kevin

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, how's it going? I'm in the same boat as you - computer engineering from Vanderbilt '06. I've been working since May to save up some cash for applications, interviews, tuition, etc.

Likewise, I couldn't see myself sitting at a computer all day. I interned at a defense contractor all 3 summers of undergrad (where I'm working now). The pay is good, but it is boring as hell. After one summer I started looking into other career possibilities and started taking med school prereqs.

I'm also about to submit AMCAS, either today or tomorrow. Good luck!

Welcome, Kevin!

I did Bioengineering at UCSD and just started my MD/PhD training up at UCLA. Feel free to post or PM me any questions regarding the UCSD/engineering/med-school combo. For getting advice on your list of schools, I suggest checking out this thread. :thumbup: