Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Gunnel Hänsel Petersson at Malmö University in Sweden has received an award for her studies of Cariogram, a computer program created in Malmö to assess patients’ risk of developing tooth decay, dental caries.

Read about the Cariogram here.

Do any of you dental students use this program for caries assessment?

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
ten risk factors: the number of earlier dental cavities, use of fluoride, the buffering capacity of the saliva, medicines, the number of bacteria in the mouth, diet, etc. The information is fed into the computer, and the program calculates the risk of caries.

He won an award for this?! I feel like I could've pulled a program like this outta my butt.

I've got a good one: a program that calculates how bad you smell. Risk factors: not showering, no access to laundry machine, no access to laundry detergent, few sets of clothing, do you hang around with dirty monkeys all day, do you work in a zoo, eat a lot of mexican food, have a fetish for dog poo. Plug those into a computer program, and there you go. smell index.

OP
F

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
AUG2UAG said:
let's say hypothetically that the dental school is very traditional and doesn't have pc's at the workstations, is it feasible to use these programs (as students) on personal laptops? do the benefits outweigh the associated costs?
Which dental schools do NOT have PC's on the clinic floors, if not chairside or near chairside?

In any case the program is open source and free, as I understand.

OP
F

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
delicious said:
ten risk factors: the number of earlier dental cavities, use of fluoride, the buffering capacity of the saliva, medicines, the number of bacteria in the mouth, diet, etc. The information is fed into the computer, and the program calculates the risk of caries.

He won an award for this?! I feel like I could've pulled a program like this outta my butt.

I've got a good one: a program that calculates how bad you smell. Risk factors: not showering, no access to laundry machine, no access to laundry detergent, few sets of clothing, how much you perspire, do you hang around with monkeys all day, do you work in a zoo, eat a lot of mexican food. Plug those into a computer program, and there you go. BO index.
What about the Garlic... damn smelly gas!

You gotta have garlic as a risk factor for BO.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
Well, in fairness to this swedish meatball, it might be a good idea. If the program prints out a high number, it might scare the patient into taking better care of their teeth. Sometimes just telling a patient won't make them change their habits I guess.

But then, these patients don't have cavities to be filled. Then where do I make my money to buy my third home in Key West? I don't. :mad: Meanwhile, some nerd servicing my busted computer takes all my cash. Bad idea. :thumbdown:

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
Here's a good idea: toothpaste with sugar