Computer Science courses as BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meander

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that AMCAS specifically lists Computer Science as "not BCPM." My UG's Computer Science program is highly theoretical and, for several of the courses I took in CS, more like math than "programming" or engineering. I know it's ultimately up to you and then you see what happens in verification -- has anyone successfully categorized any courses like the following as BCPM?:

- Algorithms
- Data Structures
- Programming Language Paradigms
- Theoretical Computer Science and/or Automata Theory

Members don't see this ad.

I had one on Numerical Methods and Discrete Math that counted.

For me, computational biology. I would shy away from including it as BCPM unless it has one of those words -- math, biology, etc -- in the course title. (claduva94 is far wiser than I, ugh I totally forgot to try to get Discrete Math to count as BCPM.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd do it only if it's cross-listed as math, e.g. cryptography was, at my school.

My undergrad is in computer science and I listed some as science (the one's I got good grades in) and some non-science (the one's I did poorly in).... For the most part they were verified as I listed them...

I know that AMCAS specifically lists Computer Science as "not BCPM." My UG's Computer Science program is highly theoretical and, for several of the courses I took in CS, more like math than "programming" or engineering. I know it's ultimately up to you and then you see what happens in verification -- has anyone successfully categorized any courses like the following as BCPM?:

- Algorithms
- Data Structures
- Programming Language Paradigms
- Theoretical Computer Science and/or Automata Theory
None of these counted for me as BCMP when I applied...

Doesn't anyone find it flawed how AMCAS will take pure math courses and physics courses for their BCPM GPA, but engineering courses that involve a combination of both are excluded from the GPA calculation?

For an example: Mechanics, Principles of Electrical Eng, many science-field engineers have a thermo class based on their fields, i mean they still study the theory and science behind the applications too. o_O