Computer Science To Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

signature16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophmore undergraduate majoring in computer science. After I graduate I want to go to medical school. I love working with computers, but I wouldn't want that as a career.

I have read online that a lot of med schools are looking to diversify their student body. Is this true?

Should I change my major? How do medical schools view applicants who aren't premed majors?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sophmore undergraduate majoring in computer science. After I graduate I want to go to medical school. I love working with computers, but I wouldn't want that as a career.

I have read online that a lot of med schools are looking to diversify their student body. Is this true?

Should I change my major? How do medical schools view applicants who aren't premed majors?

Do not change your major. If you love what you're doing, then stick with it. Diversity is a word that medical schools love. That being said, don't pick an exotic major to fulfill that requirement. Premed majors have no place over nonpremed majors. Any major in which you take the prereqs for med school will suffice; even if some of the classes must be electives. Take some upper level courses to show you're dedicated to medicine/science.

The more important question to ask is whether medicine is right for you? You should start volunteering at the hospital/clinic or shadowing physicians so that you know what you're getting yourself into. If you trully want to pursue a career in medicine, then the questions you asked aren't that important. You're still young so there's plenty of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine is my passion. It is absolutely what I want to do with my life. I am volunteering at my local hospital a few hours every week.

I could easily change my major so I guess what I am asking is....

Is there any advantage to majoring in a non traditional premedical school major?

Medicine is my passion. It is absolutely what I want to do with my life. I am volunteering at my local hospital a few hours every week.

I could easily change my major so I guess what I am asking is....

Is there any advantage to majoring in a non traditional premedical school major?

Perhaps a SLIGHT advantange when studying for the MCAT because some class material might be on there and you'll be very used to taking several science-intensive courses at a time, but undergrad bio is very different from med school bio. I'm a bio major and some topics I like a lot while others just don't plain interest me (and those classes I usually get Bs in). This is why it is more important to do something you like during undergrad and finish pre-reqs than be a gung ho pre-med bio major, start slacking off in courses because you hate all of them, and wave goodbye to your dream of going into medicine in the process.