Computer Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwirkz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice:

I graduated with a Computer Science degree in 2007, and have spent the last few years in the work force. I am currently working for a specialized/niche medical EHR software company, and am very interested in going to medical school.

I've done some researching about applying to medical schools, and scanned through a few MCAT sample tests so far. I believe I've got a good grasp on the physics portion as a physics minor came with the Comp Sci degree just based on the required courses for the major. I don't, however, have a firm grasp on chemistry and biology subject matter of the test.

Also, I must point out that due to my lack of maturity during my first few years of college my GPA settled right at 3.0.

There are a few universities in the area, but unfortunately they do not offer any kind of pre-med post bacc. options. Because of this I am considering getting a second bachelor's degree in chemistry. Computer science is in the same college, Natural and Applied Sciences, as chemistry so I have taken all of the major prerequisites for the chem major. All I will have to take are the chemistry classes, and feel that this will be my fastest route to both raising my GPA and giving me some formalized chemistry training.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe a better route, hints, tips, etc.?

Also, I worked part-time for a hospital as a transporter for the cath. lab all throughout college. Will that work experience be beneficial at all during my application process? (just out of curiosity)

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming that all your prereq coursework transfers over? I guess that good grades in undergrad classes are more reliable/carry more weight than good grades in a master's program, which would be the only other option for you besides a postbac. A postbac is still more ideal, but if you think you can kill your second bachelor's degree, then why not try? To raise your GPA you could also take on additional classes like research classes and humanities classes (if that's the type of thing you're good at)

To get you up to speed on bio, perhaps an MCAT class would help.

It's nice that you have stepped foot in the hospital before, but you might need additional time in a hospital + shadowing / other ec's to make you stand out, especially with your GPA. You'll also want to do research, and you'll need to kill your MCAT. It will be hard work, but it CAN be done...

So, you're a developer? As part of your job, have you worked Go-Lives? Development of clinical applications? Development of clinical content? Onsite visits? Non-billed onsite visits? Any of those can certainly help flesh out the applications, and will be bread and butter for using in Personal Statements and Secondaries.

GPA is definitely a sticking point, and a few chemistry classes might not be able to pull it up that high. A high MCAT can help make up for it, but only to a certain point. I think your strategy could work, though I'm not really clear about the process of going back to school for a second major. As long as you get your Premed prereqs in. CC is probably cheaper and more flexible than a university.

Members don't see this ad :)
So like you I have a degree in Computer Science although mine came with a minor in math instead of physics. The physics on the MCAT in not calculus based so be aware of that when preparing.

I graduated in 2008 and have also been working since then full-time writing software. I thought about a Masters as well, my GPA in kinda low, about 3.25 but eventually settled on doing an informal post-bacc degree. This option is cheaper and less time intensive and I can continue to work mostly. If you employer is okay with it, I recommend this route. An extra degree in Chem might be good, but I dont know if it is absolutely required. Assuming you are 26 or so the extra degree might tack on a little more time than you would like before you start practicing medicine.

On a good note, degrees in true Computer Science are few and far between in this field so I think it helps your app get a little more attention. Just be prepared to defend crappy grades. Good Luck

Please check out the nontrad sub-forum for more sagely advice on how to proceed with perhaps a DIY post-bacc program (like I did). IMHO I don't feel another degree is what is best. Many similar applicants can be found lurking in the non-traditional applicant forum.

Also, be careful with assuming you have physics down. I did too the first time around. to score a 14 or 15 you can only get one question wrong. This means there is no time for derivations. You need to have all the equations solved for each unknown already memorized. Plug-and-chug. It may sound like a cheap trick - but saving 20 or 30 seconds adds up fast.

Finally: Welcome! Contrary to what was said, engineers and CS majors abound in medical school. You are in good company.

Best of luck!

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

Hi qwirkz,

Welcome to the CS/Med club! You major will be unique, but it will not sway admissions committees too far in your favor. Med school requires extensive memorization, and you'll need to demonstrate through your transcript that you can handle a content-intensive curriculum.

Do a post-bacc!

Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it!

You all have given me some new things to think about, and I have a couple more questions. (Also, feel free to let me know if I should pose these questions in a different forum)

- It looks like the overwhelming answer to getting a chemistry undergrad is nixed, which definitely makes sense given the explanations. So, it looks like a DIY Post-Bacc will be the route that I need to take given that the universities here only offer pre-organized education based post-bacc's. Would anyone happen to have a good solid resource (article, video, etc.) that they've used in the past for creating their schedule?

-I've read a lot of about extracurricular activities. I'm sure there are a few threads out there that will probably help me with this, but what are some opinions out there for the most beneficial EC's? Research, shadowing, volunteering? Obviously, I know I'll need to get combinations of these, but given my CS background would any of you have some recommendations? I only ask because I seem to be finding mixed opinions on the value of some EC's over others.

- Given that my knowledge in biology and chemistry are lacking at this time would be too early (too overwhelming) to pick up a few MCAT resources to start familiarizing myself? I was thinking about reviewing the resources as I take post-bacc classes to target topics as I learn them originally. When would be a good time to take an MCAT prep class? After the introductory bio/chem classes?

Thanks again!

given my CS background would any of you have some recommendations? I only ask because I seem to be finding mixed opinions on the value of some EC's over others.
I think that med schools like a story, and you can do a lot with a CS background to make a good story if you're creative. Why not develop software for medical applications? Program MRI stuff for research labs? Start your own company? Teach CS to inner city kids and inspire them to believe in themselves (wow, I completed a project on my own)? Then you also have to do the obligatories, shadowing, volunteering in a hospital, research, etc. At interviews you can talk about how originally you were just CS, then life happened, and your view evolved into something medical, ou learned to apply yourself uniquely.

Given that my knowledge in biology and chemistry are lacking at this time would be too early (too overwhelming) to pick up a few MCAT resources to start familiarizing myself? I was thinking about reviewing the resources as I take post-bacc classes to target topics as I learn them originally. When would be a good time to take an MCAT prep class? After the introductory bio/chem classes?
Thanks again!
It's never too early to start studying for MCAT.