Computer Setup for school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
curious what everybody is getting/recommends for dental school...

I've narrowed down to a couple options. Any input from either current d-students or tech savvy people?

1) MacBook Pro for in class with home monitor for studying at home

2) iPad Pro for in class, home desktop computer

Is an iPad enough for day to day dental school note taking/studying? I do like the stylus ability rather than typing everything.

What's your setup?

Members don't see this ad.

I used a Surface Pro 3 for undergrad and really liked the setup. I plan on sticking with the Surface line for dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
I used a Surface Pro 3 for undergrad and really liked the setup. I plan on sticking with the Surface line for dental school.

Same. 100%. will be purchasing a surface book before going to dental school after my gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Same. 100%. will be purchasing a surface book before going to dental school after my gap year.

Same! Except I have the Surface Pro 4 setup, OneNote/Drawboard PDF for capturing lectures and taking notes is a god send. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Wow surprised all 3 replies are surface pro users... is there a learning curve? Does it really make note taking easier with the tablet? Very interested in checking this out. Might go to Best Buy to play with one

Wow surprised all 3 replies are surface pro users... is there a learning curve? Does it really make note taking easier with the tablet? Very interested in checking this out. Might go to Best Buy to play with one

Not sure if you reddit but check out the YouTube video on this thread! Definitely try it out for yourself too, if there's a Microsoft Store near you I would check them out over Best Buy, but Best Buy works too! It's a freaking awesome piece of technology lmao

Not sure if you reddit but check out the YouTube video on this thread! Definitely try it out for yourself too, if there's a Microsoft Store near you I would check them out over Best Buy, but Best Buy works too! It's a freaking awesome piece of technology lmao

Awesome will do. By chance do you still have a home computer or this your only form of computer you need? Do you find it replaces classic pen/paper notes 100%

Thanks again

Awesome will do. By chance do you still have a home computer or this your only form of computer you need? Do you find it replaces classic pen/paper notes 100%

Thanks again

Personally my SP4 is the only form of computer necessary for me. I'm not someone who needs a powerful computer (although Surface can offer that for you), since I use it mainly for browsing, videos, Netflix, and note taking. I used to print out full lecture slides before class and hand-write notes, but now I literally never do that. I still enjoy re-writing notes with my hand, but I save SO much paper and space in my back pack using my SP4

Personally my SP4 is the only form of computer necessary for me. I'm not someone who needs a powerful computer (although Surface can offer that for you), since I use it mainly for browsing, videos, Netflix, and note taking. I used to print out full lecture slides before class and hand-write notes, but now I literally never do that. I still enjoy re-writing notes with my hand, but I save SO much paper and space in my back pack using my SP4

Sold! SP5 should come out in April. Will be snagging it up for sure.

So general way of doing things is take rough notes with OneNote or similar app during lecture then re-write later on? Love it. It seems very efficient.

Thanks a lot

I'm amazed at how many people vouch for the surface pro for dental school. I've asked this question for current D students and in my interviews and it is overwhelmingly surface pro.

As a huge tech savvy person, surface pro is typically the best for artists and people love to create new ideas. I use mine to take notes and to draw concepts which is very effective.

I've currently got a Mac Book Pro and I'm planning on using that to take notes in class and / or printing lecture slides and handwriting notes. But I'm considering getting either an iPad Air or iPad Pro to study.

I'm looking at the surface pro right now and just would like to know what makes this different than a tablet that runs Windows 10 and has a touchscreen. So basically, would a Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 kind of be better than a surface pro? Just curious on thoughts here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at the surface pro right now and just would like to know what makes this different than a tablet that runs Windows 10 and has a touchscreen. So basically, would a Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 kind of be better than a surface pro? Just curious on thoughts here.
As tech nerd who builds computers every month, it depends on so many variables. You can't go wrong with either choices. Let me know your price budget, what is the purpose of using it, size and weight limitations.
I can do an depth comparison in terms of specifications.

Dell XPS 13 with touch screen.

My surface is collecting dust now.... Mostly because my school has us buy the laptop and it's loaded with everything we use in class.

Last edited:
Don't go crazy buying all kinds of computers and tablets with all different features. Stylus, touchscreen, tablet, etc; all so you can make your notes and go to all your lectures and print out every single slide is not a good use of your time or money.
Keep it simple and reliable: get your self a Macbook, and that's all. IMO go for the Macbook Pro, this way it should last you all 4 years. As far as notes go, generally courses don't change too much over the years. Chances are there are reliable sets of comprehensive notes for just about every course from upperclassman. You will likely see them on your class FB page around orientation.
The reason I say this is because D1 is a time to learn how to study. It is much different than undergrad because it is all about time management. Re-writing and re-organizing all the notes for every lecture for every class is incredibly time consuming. Unless you absolutely MUST use notes made and organized by you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. That is time better spent studying for the next exam, practicing in the lab, or taking care of your health. If you already own a reliable laptop/tablet, then I would recommend putting your money towards a better set of loupes.
Ultimately it's up to you, but I strongly recommend just keeping it simple and not overthink it.
Best of luck to you all and congratulations on getting ready for dental school!

Reactions: 8 users
I was thinking of getting the ipad pro with keyboard and pencil. How is the surface better than the ipad pro? ( I do not own any Microsoft products and I really like the ease of use of the apple products).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't go crazy buying all kinds of computers and tablets with all different features. Stylus, touchscreen, tablet, etc; all so you can make your notes and go to all your lectures and print out every single slide is not a good use of your time or money.
Keep it simple and reliable: get your self a Macbook, and that's all. IMO go for the Macbook Pro, this way it should last you all 4 years. As far as notes go, generally courses don't change too much over the years. Chances are there are reliable sets of comprehensive notes for just about every course from upperclassman. You will likely see them on your class FB page around orientation.
The reason I say this is because D1 is a time to learn how to study. It is much different than undergrad because it is all about time management. Re-writing and re-organizing all the notes for every lecture for every class is incredibly time consuming. Unless you absolutely MUST use notes made and organized by you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. That is time better spent studying for the next exam, practicing in the lab, or taking care of your health. If you already own a reliable laptop/tablet, then I would recommend putting your money towards a better set of loupes.
Ultimately it's up to you, but I strongly recommend just keeping it simple and not overthink it.
Best of luck to you all and congratulations on getting ready for dental school!

100% agree with this person. I bought a new iPad before school thinking I would use it to study and I couldn't tell you the last time i even charged the thing, or really where it even is now that I think about it. The first semester really is about learning how to study and using your time wisely. I tried notecards cause that helped in undergrad a lot, but there is not nearly enough time to make and learn them all with the amount of information. What works best for me is printing off the slides, going through and just writing out a brief study guide on what I think is important. You'll figure out what works best for you. When you get to school you'll notice that 90% of your classmates will have a MacBook. They are simple and reliable, which is all you really need. The last thing you want is for your computer to crash a night or two before your test where all your notes are and you go into the panic mode. I've seen it happen 2 or 3 times with the pcs in our class and once with a mac. But again that's 90 macs to only 10 pcs in our class.

Reactions: 3 users
We can have a long debate whether to choose the mac book pro or other windows laptops. *cough* pc master race *cough*

It's all about preference and what you will ultimately use the tablet/laptop for. If you find yourself using a iphone for the past years, then you should stick to a mac book pro. In the end, Apple uses icloud and many other applications to keep you entrapped in their agenda and products. You will slowly become dependent on apple products...

Where as if you are a gamer, you definitely have to get a windows laptop or desktop. Macbook pros are just not efficiently engineered and competitively priced to have gaming capabilities.

Reactions: 2 users
We can have a long debate whether to choose the mac book pro or other windows laptops. *cough* pc master race *cough*

It's all about preference and what you will ultimately use the tablet/laptop for. If you find yourself using a iphone for the past years, then you should stick to a mac book pro. In the end, Apple uses icloud and many other applications to keep you entrapped in their agenda and products. You will slowly become dependent on apple products...

Where as if you are a gamer, you definitely have to get a windows laptop or desktop. Macbook pros are just not efficiently engineered and competitively priced to have gaming capabilities.
I will be amazed if you had time for gaming during dental school. You will be staring at screens for so long, it is probably not a good use of time. At all. You're better off practicing in the lab, sleeping, or getting a little bit of exercise. It's very easy to develop unhealthy habits.

I will be amazed if you had time for gaming during dental school. You will be staring at screens for so long, it is probably not a good use of time. At all. You're better off practicing in the lab, sleeping, or getting a little bit of exercise. It's very easy to develop unhealthy habits.
Every one has their own priorities. People who decide to de-stress by having a drink on weekends could be playing games instead.

I'm not proud of myself but there are times when I stayed up for days playing computer games. By no means am I implying that a gamer should play long periods of time. There are moba games that only last 20-40 minutes such as League. Personally, I'm most likely doing the bare minimum to pass all my classes. I can see myself enjoying myself in dental school with adequate time to play computer games.

Reactions: 5 users
Every one has their own priorities. People who decide to de-stress by having a drink on weekends could be playing games instead.

I'm not proud of myself but there are times when I stayed up for days playing computer games. By no means am I implying that a gamer should play long periods of time. There are moba games that only last 20-40 minutes such as League. Personally, I'm most likely doing the bare minimum to pass all my classes. I can see myself enjoying myself in dental school with adequate time to play computer games.

Lol. I feel bad going in to dental school already having the mindset of doing the bare minimum. Glad i'm not the only one :)

As to the topic, I will be going with with a Surface book pro. During my Masters program I found doodling on PDF and Powerpoints the best way for me to take notes so I will be trying this approach again.

What others haven't mentioned is using Dropbox, Google Docs, or One drive as a place to store all your notes/documents so that its available across all devices (ie. laptop, pc, mobile, etc) so if in the worst case scenario one goes down you still have the other options. Also there is version control with some of these so in case you accidentally delete and save you can always go back and find what you deleted. Use the cloud!

Lol. I feel bad going in to dental school already having the mindset of doing the bare minimum. Glad i'm not the only one :)

As to the topic, I will be going with with a Surface book pro. During my Masters program I found doodling on PDF and Powerpoints the best way for me to take notes so I will be trying this approach again.

What others haven't mentioned is using Dropbox, Google Docs, or One drive as a place to store all your notes/documents so that its available across all devices (ie. laptop, pc, mobile, etc) so if in the worst case scenario one goes down you still have the other options. Also there is version control with some of these so in case you accidentally delete and save you can always go back and find what you deleted. Use the cloud!

lol Im also going into school with that mindset.

I don't really write notes unless necessary, so I think i am going to pass on the Surface books. I will probably either keep the laptop i have now (a regular mid-level HP) and build a rig, or upgrade to one of the nicer high powered PC's out nowadays. I usually game on consoles but i've been thinking about doing PC stuff going forward.

Bump.

How are you guys feeling now? Still uniting behind the SP4?

I'm thinking of maxing out the specs and rolling with the Surface Book - I played with the Surface Pro 4 at Best Buy, and it just seems clunky with so many different parts...the keyboard, the tablet, the stand. Meanwhile, Surface Book has everything all connected and ready to go.

My concern with the Surface Book is the weight. Kinda heavy.

I have a Surface Pro 1 and a MBP. I've purchased 2 SP4s throughout dental school and then returned them both.

The Surface is a cool idea, but honestly it's just not all that practical. The only reason to get a Surface would be for taking handwritten notes. However, my personal experience is that lectures move too quickly to take handwritten notes. I took handwritten notes on a SP1 for the last couple of years before dental school and would love to continue to do that, but there just isn't enough time.

My other main issue with the Surface is poor battery life and it just not being very reliable.
  • Don't put your Surface to sleep when putting it in your bag (turn it off), they love to do some sort of background processing and use up all of their charge. It's a problem they've had since the very first one was released years ago.
  • Then you have the pen which will often not be recognized, until its drivers are restarted.
  • Windows loves to decide that you must install updates and restart your computer right now. Who honestly thought it was a good idea to not have any user friendly way to stop an update from installing while the computer is actively being used?
  • You think it's great to have a tablet that can run any computer program, but you'll quickly realize that the experience using most of them sucks. Some won't respond to pen input. Things will be minuscule and hard to hit with your finger.
  • Finally realize that the Surface Pros are not repairable at all. If your battery is wearing out, MS will let you trade in for a refurbished unit for hundreds of dollars - at a small discount from just purchasing a new unit on sale. People constantly complain about the repairability of Apple products, but honestly most of them are pretty easy to do common repairs on. Apple will do a battery swap on their devices for about $100 at any Apple Store.
  • Also we deal with a lot of PDFs and honestly the experience dealing with large PDFs on Windows is not very good.
As for an iPad Pro - again there is not enough time to handwrite notes. I also find it hard to justify the price when the Surface Pro is more capable and available for so much cheaper, but again it has downsides.

In the end: I'd go with a MacBook, maybe some other "regular" laptop if you don't want to use Mac OS for some reason.

Edit: Something else to add, the mic on the Surface Pro 4 is terrible. I have all of my notes synced up with an audio recording of the lecture, the poor quality of the recordings from my Surface Pros really bothered me.

But related suggestion: Use MS OneNote for your notes and record audio while taking them. It syncs your notes with the lecturer's audio. That way you can easily review a specific part of the lecture when studying. Also your notes will be synced on MS's cloud service, OneDrive, and be available from any device. I have all my notes on various computers, accessible to be on school computers, on my phone, etc. OneNote is free and you get an unlimited amount of space from MS with your school email address.

Another stupid decision by MS with this though: OneNote for Mac records MP3s, OneNote for Windows records in WMA. They don't have the capability of playing back audio that was recorded on the other platform. The iOS version can only playback MP3 as well and cannot record or playback while doing anything else.

Last edited:
I bought a Dell XPS 15. I tried the new Macbook Pro and even though I thought it was more stable, I couldn't say no to the beautiful screen on the XPS. I will be staring at this screen everyday for the next 4 years of my life, I wanted it to be perfect. The 4k touch screen on the XPS has amazing saturation, almost appearing AMOLED. It also had superior specs compared to the Macbook for a fraction of the price. The only negative is the software. I would run frequently run into glitches with Windows that never happened with MacOS.

I bought a Dell XPS 15. I tried the new Macbook Pro and even though I thought it was more stable, I couldn't say no to the beautiful screen on the XPS. I will be staring at this screen everyday for the next 4 years of my life, I wanted it to be perfect. The 4k touch screen on the XPS has amazing saturation, almost appearing AMOLED. It also had superior specs compared to the Macbook for a fraction of the price. The only negative is the software. I would run frequently run into glitches with Windows that never happened with MacOS.

The screen is pretty, huh? Its resolution is great.

The screen is pretty, huh? Its resolution is great.
Screen resolution is so high and the colors are so vivid that it basically implants the information in your brain, reducing study time by 42%. This has been verified with a clinical study.

I'm leaning XPS13 or SP4. The only thing I'm debating now is how often would i use the pen for SP4. But judging from Bootes' response - maybe never?

I'm leaning XPS13 or SP4. The only thing I'm debating now is how often would i use the pen for SP4. But judging from Bootes' response - maybe never?

Why XPS13?

I almost never write notes for classes. If I do, I type up a quick sentence onto the bottom of the ppt slide. I'd get the XPS.

Why XPS13?

The QHD screen, the smaller dimensions/weight compared to a macbook air, larger hard drive compared to sp4, and more ram than an sp4. I've yet to work with an sp4 but from my experiences working with sp3, I haven't been able to get used to it. It can always change though. The only things that I still debate about is:
1) do I really need a tablet for school
2) how often will i be using the stylus for the sp4 (or do i actually need to use one)
3) how much better is the OneNote experience on a laptop vs a laptop/table hybrid.

I'll wait till late July/early August before i pull the gun on one of these. Just gatta continue reading recommendations/reviews.

Chances are... you won't be taking notes with your stylus pen.

But again every lecture is recorded, so I don't see the point of going to class (other than attendance is graded). I would rather watch the lecture and obnoxiously type away with my mechanical keyboard.

But again every lecture is recorded, so I don't see the point of going to class (other than attendance is graded). I would rather watch the lecture and obnoxiously type away with my mechanical keyboard.

You've got the right idea my friend.

I want to get a nice big monitor hooked up on my desk at home, and connect that to a laptop.

Since my school records lectures, I would play the lectures on the big monitor at 2x speed while sitting with the laptop and typing notes on them.

Unfortunately, doing this might get me severely penalized due to attendance.

I have a custom desktop that I built which will cover most of the things I'll do. For portability, I'm planning on getting the new Surface Pro when it comes out in a couple months

Im not in school yet but I have a macbook pro that my brother bought for grad school in 2012 and gifted to me and its still works like a dream. Yea it was expensive but it still works great after all these years and shows no signs of slowing down or breaking.

My brother on the other hand has a surface 3 which has had issues on and off since he bought it. He probably should have went with the pro version for better build quality but other than the mechanical issues he loves the portability of it.

I will say thought that his keyboard is loud and cheap feeling. Although I am sure the newer ones are far better in quality. However even though he's had problems, he is interested in buying a surface pro in the near future because he loves the form factor and portability.

Never going back to a PC laptop after getting my Macbook Pro. I don't care what anyone says, every single windows computer I have own or held just feels so extremely flimsy and cheap. Maybe I am not getting the right sturdy models but I definitely would have had to go out of my way to find them.

Im not in school yet but I have a macbook pro that my brother bought for grad school in 2012 and gifted to me and its still works like a dream. Yea it was expensive but it still works great after all these years and shows no signs of slowing down or breaking.

My brother on the other hand has a surface 3 which has had issues on and off since he bought it. He probably should have went with the pro version for better build quality but other than the mechanical issues he loves the portability of it.

I will say thought that his keyboard is loud and cheap feeling. Although I am sure the newer ones are far better in quality. However even though he's had problems, he is interested in buying a surface pro in the near future because he loves the form factor and portability.

The SP4 keyboard is a big improvement from the older ones and is backwards compatible, but yeah I would stick with a MacBook.

I was a die hard PC person until I got my Mac and could never go back to a PC. My Mac just feels indestructible both software and hardware.

It seems like you've already made your decision but I want to weigh in for people who are still considering the MacBook Pro. If you plan on getting a new one with the touch bar you should contact your school first because currently the testing software that many schools use is not capable of turning off the touch bar and thus you will not be able to use the computer for exams.

Another stupid decision by MS with this though: OneNote for Mac records MP3s, OneNote for Windows records in WMA. They don't have the capability of playing back audio that was recorded on the other platform.

Re-reading this thread and saw that I overlooked this. Really good info to know since I prefer to use my pc when I'm at home. Briefly considered a mac.

I'm pretty stoked, I just got a nice new desktop for my home with an Intel i7 7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz (I could easily overclock it to 4.5 GHz- 4.7 GHz+), with a SSD and three 2TB HDDs. It's got a heavy lifting graphics card (no integrated garbage), and I just bought a third monitor for it. I got it all for under $1,000. Mac doesn't even have a computer on the market as powerful as this computer, yet they sell computers north of $2K. It's a joke to me, PCs just have so much better value.

I seem to have an experience contrary to most of yours. I was a huge apple fan boy- until my apple laptop (valued at nearly $2k) broke. I replaced it with a HP. Great decision, I love this computer (I got it for roughly $450). It has a latest gen i5 CPU, an SSD, and I replaced the optical drive with a 2TB HDD to use as a secondary drive. Not only that, it has all the ports that apple takes off their computer and requires you to buy a dongle for. Another frustrating thing, is that many of Mac's computers actually come shipped with hybrid SSD/HDD drives (this is especially true with their desktops), being much slower than full SSDs. So I get great performance with my HP for less than half the price of what I would have got with a Mac. To me its a no brainer, and most dental software runs on Windows anyway, so might as well get familiar with the OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My 780 ti needs an upgrade but I'm waiting for the new vega cards to come out so that I can use my freesync screen...

I appreciate the aesthetics and simplicity of macs, even built my own PC and rigged it to have mac OSX run on it back in 2006 when they switched their powerpc processors to intel processors. I had a mac laptop in undergrad after my hackintosh and loved it.

You can't beat PC when it comes to raw power and the price though.

Last edited:
My 780 ti needs an upgrade but I'm waiting for the new vega cards to come out so that I can use my freesync screen...

I appreciate the aesthetics and simplicity of macs, even built my own PC and rigged it to have mac OSX run on it back in 2006 when they switched their powerpc processors to intel processors. I had a mac laptop in undergrad after my hackintosh and loved it.

You can't beat PC when it comes to raw power and the price though.
Ah yes I have dabbled with Hackintosh as well. However, I have absolutely no need for it nowadays, as I did it only for mac software. However, once getting accustomed to windows, I have found that there is just such a wealth of Windows software out there that I can't justify, under any circumstances, buying another mac. Power, customization, ability for upgrading hardware, abundance of software, price... It all falls in favor of Windows.

When I was an apple fanboy, I used to think that Windows was this gross operating system prone to viruses and the computers would break after a few years. How wrong I was! Especially since windows 10 now comes with built in real-time antivirus.. Then installing malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, CCleaner, etc and you have yourself a system that would be very hard to be infected with a virus - most users probably couldn't get one if they tried.

Going to go with a Chromebook personally; probably the Samsung Chromebook Pro. That way I can save money and build an omnipotent PC back home should I ever need it for projects...jk it's for games.

I'm pretty stoked, I just got a nice new desktop for my home with an Intel i7 7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz (I could easily overclock it to 4.5 GHz- 4.7 GHz+), with a SSD and three 2TB HDDs. It's got a heavy lifting graphics card (no integrated garbage), and I just bought a third monitor for it. I got it all for under $1,000. Mac doesn't even have a computer on the market as powerful as this computer, yet they sell computers north of $2K. It's a joke to me, PCs just have so much better value.

I seem to have an experience contrary to most of yours. I was a huge apple fan boy- until my apple laptop (valued at nearly $2k) broke. I replaced it with a HP. Great decision, I love this computer (I got it for roughly $450). It has a latest gen i5 CPU, an SSD, and I replaced the optical drive with a 2TB HDD to use as a secondary drive. Not only that, it has all the ports that apple takes off their computer and requires you to buy a dongle for. Another frustrating thing, is that many of Mac's computers actually come shipped with hybrid SSD/HDD drives (this is especially true with their desktops), being much slower than full SSDs. So I get great performance with my HP for less than half the price of what I would have got with a Mac. To me its a no brainer, and most dental software runs on Windows anyway, so might as well get familiar with the OS.
I've dropped my Macbook countless of times without issue. My 2000$ gaming laptop broke after a fall from 2 feet high on carpet. I definitely agree with you about Desktop computers, PC takes the cake easily. However for lifestyle you can't beat the Apple ecosystem. Steve Jobs is still finessing all of us from the grave

Ah yes I have dabbled with Hackintosh as well. However, I have absolutely no need for it nowadays, as I did it only for mac software. However, once getting accustomed to windows, I have found that there is just such a wealth of Windows software out there that I can't justify, under any circumstances, buying another mac. Power, customization, ability for upgrading hardware, abundance of software, price... It all falls in favor of Windows.

When I was an apple fanboy, I used to think that Windows was this gross operating system prone to viruses and the computers would break after a few years. How wrong I was! Especially since windows 10 now comes with built in real-time antivirus.. Then installing malwarebytes, Adwcleaner, CCleaner, etc and you have yourself a system that would be very hard to be infected with a virus - most users probably couldn't get one if they tried.
You sound like a windows fanboy now.

You sound like a windows fanboy now.

He sounds more like a reasonable person now, instead of just worshiping Apple blindly for no justifiable reason other than "it just works" or "Windows sucks and PCs are soo cheap". This isn't like 10 years ago. Apple has stagnated, while Microsoft and PC manufacturers have stepped up their game. Even though Macs are still great, dismissing Windows for all it's negative stereotypes (most of which are just greatly over-exaggerated nowadays) is just doing yourself a disservice and results in missing out on a lot of great products.

Reactions: 4 users