computer vs written part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmd2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take written part 1 on July. However, a lot of people who already took it recommended computer one since it was easier and I am confused. Since nobody takes written one yet, it's hard to say which one is easy. But the curve...
Does any body know how to curve for part 1? Does it matter who takes the exam to get more curve? I am just wondering how computer one is standarized while written one is still available.
Any idea?
Thanks!h

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

According to the director of testing services, there is no curve for Part I. After the written exam, the testing people get together to determine what raw score should correlate with what scaled score, and then they go from there.

For more on the subject, see Yah-E's thread in which he gave us a play-by-play of an acutal phone call he had with the ADA:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=806222&postcount=8

As far as the computerized test goes, I've heard they judge your scores against those who have taken it in the past 3 months prior to you.

Thanks Gavin.

However, I am still confused...Is there any way to compare scores from computer exam with scores from written one when they are totally different in terms of scoring.
There might be some advantage of one over the other...
What do you think?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, according to Yah-E's thread, the final scores should be an adequate indicator of performance. The raw scores may differ drastically, but the final scores will be similar. They'd have to be in order to be valid.

Meaning, if the computerized version is easier, perhaps on one section a raw score of 89 would get a candidate a mark of 93, while on a more difficult paper exam a raw score of 82 correct would earn that same 93. Any way you cut it a 93=93.

I would have to guess that, as this is the first year for the computerized exam, the score determiners would want to err on the side of helping out the first year of computer users. It probably wouldn't generate any further use of the computers by students if overall everyone who took it the first year bombed it. They have put substantial investments into programming and setting the whole thing up for them to look bad after doing so. That's how I look at it. If I'm wrong, you can always come back and say you did crappy because it was on the computer, maybe they'll give you a discount the 2nd time.
Good luck

ItsGavinC said:
According to the director of testing services, there is no curve for Part I. After the written exam, the testing people get together to determine what raw score should correlate with what scaled score, and then they go from there.

For more on the subject, see Yah-E's thread in which he gave us a play-by-play of an acutal phone call he had with the ADA:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=806222&postcount=8

As far as the computerized test goes, I've heard they judge your scores against those who have taken it in the past 3 months prior to you.

I just talked to ada people. They said they don't judge scores against people who have taken it before even in computer one. They adjust scores based on degree of difficulty of questions on the exam. Therefore, if one get 15 easy questions right while the other get 10 hard questions right in different exam, they can get the same scores.
Now everything is clear!
Good luck for everybody whatever you take! :)

dmd2006 said:
I just talked to ada people. They said they don't judge scores against people who have taken it before even in computer one. They adjust scores based on degree of difficulty of questions on the exam. Therefore, if one get 15 easy questions right while the other get 10 hard questions right in different exam, they can get the same scores.
Now everything is clear!
Good luck for everybody whatever you take! :)

Right, but degree of difficulty of questions has to be determined by prior test-takers because there isn't any other way to determine it. For example, if 8/10 people miss a question, then it is determined to be difficult, regardless of the actual content of the question.

The ADA uses distinct methods for this, of course. They use the P (probability value) that respresents difficulty of an item, and R (point-biserial correlation between item and test performance) that represents discrimination.

For an item to be effective for Part I, the question has to produce a difficulty index between 40% and 89%, as well as a disrimination index of .15 or higher.

The range within these components are what the scaled scores are based upon. Items falling outside these ranges are reviewied and probably omitted. For example, a negative R (discrimination) score says that high-scoring examinees are answering the item incorrecly but that low-scoring examinees are answering the item correctly! Obviously a problem.

Is your score on the NDBE computerized version given immediately after the test like with the DAT? If not how long is the wait?

My paper says 3-4 week wait for computer version, 6-8 week wait for the written version.

:smuggrin:

ItsGavinC said:

Isn't the above verbage a long way of saying "a curve". Raw score correlation is a curve.

Hi,

i'm getting ready to take the ndbe part 1 on the computer and am wondering if the testing centers give out "scratch" paper for us to write on during the exam. Particularly, in dental anatomy, I really need something to write on.

For those who took the computerized version, what are your thoughts? Is it true that you can't go back to a previous section? I feel like i just really don't know what to expect when i go in to take the exam

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

thistle said:
Hi,

i'm getting ready to take the ndbe part 1 on the computer and am wondering if the testing centers give out "scratch" paper for us to write on during the exam. Particularly, in dental anatomy, I really need something to write on.

For those who took the computerized version, what are your thoughts? Is it true that you can't go back to a previous section? I feel like i just really don't know what to expect when i go in to take the exam

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

YOu have 3.5 hours to do two sections, they are combined, as anat and biochem in the first section. The first 100 ?'s are anat, the last 100 are biochem. then you get 1 hour break, then get 3.5 hours for the other 2 sections. during each 3.5 hour session, you can go back to those 2 sections only, but its the same as the written! Also they will give you 4 sheets of blank paper when you first start the exam. You can write anything on these papers, and you keep them for the whole test then turn them in at the end of the exam. Computer in my book is the way to go! While all my friends are on the waiting game, I have known that I passed for like 6 weeks now, and have been living it up on vacation!!!!!!

I didn't know what to expect when I took my exam either. Just relax and keep in mind that everyone else is in the same boat. If you think something is hard, probably everyone else is thinking the same thing, so don't panic!!!!