1 month prep enough for NBDE Part 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmileBlueJay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D3 foreign dental student. I just finished my finals and am now on summer break until September so I plan on taking NBDE Part 1 late August or beginning of September (yeah rip, no break for me).

My first question is should I even attempt it if I only have a month? I would like to pass it on my first attempt.
My plan is to watch "Pass the Dental boards" videos first then use dental deck/first aid (please recommend which is better as I probably won't have enough time for both?) along with mastery app. On the last week, I plan to work on past RQ files/ASDA released exams.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

Thank you all in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a D3 foreign dental student. I just finished my finals and am now on summer break until September so I plan on taking NBDE Part 1 late August or beginning of September (yeah rip, no break for me).

My first question is should I even attempt it if I only have a month? I would like to pass it on my first attempt.
My plan is to watch "Pass the Dental boards" videos first then use dental deck/first aid (please recommend which is better as I probably won't have enough time for both?) along with mastery app. On the last week, I plan to work on past RQ files/ASDA released exams.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

Thank you all in advance!!

A week is sufficient unless it got a lot harder recently. Back when there was scoring, decks were enough to get a 95 with a week of studying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A week is sufficient unless it got a lot harder recently. Back when there was scoring, decks were enough to get a 95 with a week of studying.
Okay thank you because on mastery app, they said the recommended time to study for NBDE 1 is 2 months and for international dentists it's 5 months so I wasn't sure if I can make it in 1 month

I just took the exam. I studied for two weeks.

I thought it was really hard and that i failed miserably. I passed. If i had studied for another week I think would have lost my mind. A month is way too long and two months is just nuts.

My friends and I studied different times: 6 days, 2 months. 2 weeks, 3 weeks. we all felt the same afterwards and we have all passed so far.

If i had to take the exam again, i would use the decks. I relied fully on the app which is why there was so much on my exam that I never studied during my review.

I do not recommend the first aid book if you're crunched for time. spend more time practicing, less time studying. There is just way too much on the exam to worry about a full review.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes 1 month is good. You might get burnt out at the end