Computers/ BGU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mirmaid959

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to decide if I need a new computer before starting at BGU. Right now I have an IBook from 2005.

What do the majority of students at BGU use their computers for? Do students need specific computer programs for classes or do they mainly use their computers for e-mail?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am trying to decide if I need a new computer before starting at BGU. Right now I have an IBook from 2005.

What do the majority of students at BGU use their computers for? Do students need specific computer programs for classes or do they mainly use their computers for e-mail?

thanks

Israel's not an incredibly Apple friendly country, so if you're looking to buy a new computer, consider a PC.

Yeah now I am concerned.

Why is Israel not friendly with Apples?

Just bought my computer a year ago, was waiting to ask the question about if I need a new computer or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah now I am concerned.

Why is Israel not friendly with Apples?

Just bought my computer a year ago, was waiting to ask the question about if I need a new computer or not.

Like much of the rest of the world, the primary personal computer in use is a PC, not an Apple. You're more likely to find software and support for your PC than the Mac. Repairs and parts are also likely to be more expensive. Since most of the software used by med students (powerpoint, word, adobe pdfs) run on both PCs and Apple, you don't need worry too much if you own one already. Here is some advice given by a former student to the class of 2010:

"1) Get a gmail or yahoo forum going. Many of the 1st and 2nd years are on a yahoo group and this will allow you access to our input if you are interested in it...

2) Learn some Basic Hebrew before you get here. If you have no Hebrew at all, learn as much as you can before you get here. The schedule is really tight for many of us, and there is not much time for many people to really learn the language. The more hebrew you know before you get here, the easier this will be (I know it sounds elementary, but this is a real problem for some people).

3) Call your airline and figure out exactly what their policy is on excess baggage. It will be worth it for you to bring extra stuff, but there are some airlines that are unwilling to carry oversized bags (British Airlines for example). This might spare you discomfort when you arrive at the airport (Again, elementary, but it happened to me and it was a real pain).

4) Do not buy an apple computer if you are going to buy a computer.
Israel is not apple friendly, and I don't think that the office went to the trouble of telling us that. If anyone of your classmates asks you about it - make sure to tell them that. I know this must really hurt for some of you (I am still not over it).

5) Do not buy all the books on the book list!!! Save yourself alot of money and stress. Many of these books are utterly useless and/or too vast for medical school. Everybody was really eager to get books before we started, and now we have many really nice new editions gathering dust on our shelves. Ask 2nd years what to get when you arrive. I will be happy to revise the list for you guys. At this point I use one guideline: If the book looks too big, don't buy it. Sounds stupid, but I am much happier for it, and still passing...

6) Try to figure out where to live before you get here. Don't trust the office to find you the best deal as they are overwhelmed and often clueless when the new students arrive. If you can't get a place with 2nd, 3rd years, don't stress too much because everyone found a place at the end. Finding a place before you arrive definitely takes some of the stress off, though.

I could probably go on forever, but these are just some of the things that come to mind. Be excited. This is a really trying, but overall good experience to have, and the fourth years absolutely rocked the match this year, so that leaves most of us hopeful.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Michael
[email protected]"

From the "Pre-Departure Information For the Class of 2012" BGU booklet (p7):

"Please note: For technical reasons, Apple Max computers are not fully compatible with systems students are required to access regularly. (Hi-learn is designed to work in Hebrew and although it works in English too, the Mac interprets the web page instructions incorrectly.) Students are strongly encouraged to bring computers with the Windows operating system."

new macs run on intel processors so you can just partition the hard drive and install windows to get the best of both worlds.

I'm a first year student and I have a mac. A significant proportion of our classmates are mac users and the truth is that I've had minimal problems (so far) with having a mac here. There was a problem in the past with not being able to access Highlearn (the university website where our professors post their lectures), but thanks to some computer-savvy mac users, we've managed to overcome that problem!

If you have a mac already, don't worry about it. Bring it and you will be fine.

If you are considering buying a computer and really want to get a mac, then get one and you will be fine. **I bought my macbook two months before starting first year and I have no regrets.

If you are debating between a PC and a mac and you don't really care either way, then a PC will probably be easier to have in the long run here in Israel.

No matter what computer you decide to get though, I strongly recommend that you bring SOMETHING. There are computers on campus and at the hospital, but you don't want to be dependent on them. There aren't that many and the library isn't open on the weekends, etc etc etc. I use my computer mostly for internet, email, communications (skype has been a great way to keep in touch with family and friends at home), word processing, powerpoint, and music.

Good luck!

I disagree with one of the suggestions about finding a place to live before you arrive. Unless you plan on coming to Beer Sheva early, I really think it is best to see the neighborhoods and meet your classmates before jumping into an unknown living situation. You'll be set up in temporary accomodation for the first 3 weeks, which gives you some time to look around. You probably will feel some pressure to find a place quickly but don't sign a lease for a place unless you are happy with it. Even if you have to leave your temporary housing before you are ready, you can find a place to crash until the right apartment or house comes along.