computers in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know how important it is to have a computer (either at home or a laptop) available during med school. If I don't have one will I be in trouble? I know in undergrad I had to write a lot of papers so it was necessary, but my guess is that won't be the case....any ideas? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you go to school really. I'd ask some 1st or 2nd years where you are going what they think. I know I'd be in trouble if I didn't have one. Most of our lectures (at UTSW) are available online and although we have computer access at school, it's much nicer to be at home and have access rather than have to come up to school all the time. It's possible to survive without a computer, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Its not vital at most schools (some schools require computers) but I would be pretty screwed without mine. We get all kind of information through internet as well as access to lectures and lecture handouts. I would suck to have to study off school computers all the time and have to pay for every page of handouts I needed to print off. So I would highly recommend having a computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it that in all the "do I need a computer" threads people ALWAYS say its not necessary yet they couldnt survive without their cmoputer???
Sounds like its mighty necessary to me. :rolleyes:

Dr Who said:
Why is it that in all the "do I need a computer" threads people ALWAYS say its not necessary yet they couldnt survive without their cmoputer???
Sounds like its mighty necessary to me. :rolleyes:

I said that because I have friends without computers who get by. Its a pain but if you can't afford it you will be fine. Thanks for being such a smart a$$ though, SDN really needs more of those.

It would be difficult without a computer. My one broke down for a little while and it was frustrating because I realized everything I used my computer for. There are online resources for classes that I would look up, notes from past years, etc. I would also do searches while I was studying if I came across new terms or topics I wasn't familiar with. If you are applying to research programs you'll have to type essays and do online research. A laptop is perfectly fine. I know several students who use laptops at school, and some schools have wireless internet so all you need is a laptop and a network card.

Computers kick ass.

erin682 said:
I said that because I have friends without computers who get by. Its a pain but if you can't afford it you will be fine. Thanks for being such a smart a$$ though, SDN really needs more of those.
You're welcome. :)

a computer is necessary for online research, writeups, email, etc. Since you're already spending a ton on med school, I suggest spending a little more for a computer. A notebook is more convenient, but unnecessary.

Notebook? Buy a Toshiba tablet PC. Draw diagrams on the screen & use like a laptop. Great for physiology.