COMLEX COMSAE and COMLEX scores (one person's example) for people struggling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodbilly

Ozymandias
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those students who really struggled with (0steopathic) med school. I passed the first two years without repeating, had to repeat one course in first year, fought long and hard, struggled just as much with boards prep, and just wanted to share with you my practice COMSAE results and COMLEX results. I'm doing 3rd year rotations now. Best of luck to everyone.

COMSAE

5/17/15 346
5/19/15 337
5/27/15 382
15-Jun-15 431
3-Jul-15 422

Since there are only so many COMSAE's out there, including the institution-wide one (score included above), I clearly took them a couple of times (the institution-wide one only once, though).

COMLEX
july 13, 2015 - real thing 448

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
One sample size doesn't prove anything

No kidding, what's your point? The OP is kind enough to share his information, he's not trying to prove anything. No one claimed it was a statistically significant sample size (you'll learn about that once you get to med school).

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm guessing this is a post for comsae validity? I'd venture to guess ... meh. I took A in January and got a 426, B in April (post-classes, about 2 weeks studying/1/4 through DIT) and got a 549, D on May 9 (about 1/2 through DIT) and got 607. Then took C about a week before my test (just finished DIT) and got 613. My actual test was on June 5 and I got much better than I thought. So, yeah. I think there is some validity. I think I got lucky because there was a lot of physiology on my actual Level 1, though. There is a huge difference between the COMSAEs and COMLEX. The biggest difference being length of question stem. Content is similar, imo, but the questions are more abstract and 2nd to 3rd order on the real thing. If you have been one to struggle with COMSAEs, I think it's reasonable to think the real thing might be a beotch. Also, if you use combank...it's nothing like the test. Best thing I ever did was use uworld.

yes,My actual test was on June 5 and I got much better than I thought. So, yeah. I think there is some validity.
1UoG7fq

My friend failed COMLEX step 3 by 4 points. He scored 346. Minimum 350 is required to pass it. So my question is -- Should he go for score verification/confirmation? Is it worth spending 50$ on this process??

My friend failed COMLEX step 3 by 4 points. He scored 346. Minimum 350 is required to pass it. So my question is -- Should he go for score verification/confirmation? Is it worth spending 50$ on this process??

Your friend failed the COMLEX by 54 points not 4, because the passing grade is a 400. IIRC, power outages or other technical difficulties are the only reasons you should pay for a rescore. Several people with ~390 scores have paid for a rescore and I have not seen a score change yet. Good luck to your friend.

Your friend failed the COMLEX by 54 points not 4, because the passing grade is a 400. IIRC, power outages or other technical difficulties are the only reasons you should pay for a rescore. Several people with ~390 scores have paid for a rescore and I have not seen a score change yet. Good luck to your friend.
It's comlex 3. Where passing score is 350, not 400. 400 passing score is for comlex 1&2.