COMLEX Comsae D score, need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwasted589

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took Comsae D (1 week into dedicated study period)...got a 365... I have 1 month until my test (taking both USMLE + Comlex)...so I'm starting to panic.

Specifically, I'm realizing that I continue to keep missing questions (on combank/uworld/comsae) related to Glomerulopathies / Biochem / Heme&Onc . I've been using: Combank, Uworld, DIT, Pathoma, and FA but I just can't get the glomerulopathies and biochem stuff to stick.

Any recommendations? I was really hoping to break 400 so I'm freaking out.

Members don't see this ad.

Took Comsae D (1 week into dedicated study period)...got a 365... I have 1 month until my test (taking both USMLE + Comlex)...so I'm starting to panic.

Specifically, I'm realizing that I continue to keep missing questions (on combank/uworld/comsae) related to Glomerulopathies / Biochem / Heme&Onc . I've been using: Combank, Uworld, DIT, Pathoma, and FA but I just can't get the glomerulopathies and biochem stuff to stick.

From what I've read form D greatly underpredicts your score if taken early, you still have a month to go which is a good chunk of time for improvement. Honestly I would cut out Combank completely and focus on Uworld. And I don't buy into the whole idea of doing Combank to get used to the style of questions. If you know the concepts you can answer questions regardless of how they're asked. Like others have said, use Uworld to learn and not to assess what your knowledge base is. Try not to get discouraged with low percentages.

Although I've never used DIT, I hear it's very time consuming. You might want to think about rewatching the Pathoma videos on the concepts you're having trouble remembering such as glomerulopathies and heme related disorders and get them to stick through repetition.

I hear biochem on Uworld is a little overkill so I'd just focus on First Aid for that.

Also take an NBME closer to the usmle date to see how you are. If it's anything under 220 I'd recommend pushing that date back if you can and focusing on the comlex.

Good luck and keep hammering that First Aid!

Reactions: 1 user

First and foremost, do not take the USMLE + Comlex in a month if you are getting 365 now. Try to take the boards one month after getting at least 500/passing score on COMSAE D.

Secondly, in regards to Glomerulopathies, biochem and heme once, I would advise you writing everything out. Take six or so hours just to write everything out and quiz yourself. Limit yourself to Uworld and Combank and DIT or FA. 365 is a very poor score but with some elbow grease you can achieve 600.

From what I've read form D greatly underpredicts your score if taken early, you still have a month to go which is a good chunk of time for improvement. Honestly I would cut out Combank completely and focus on Uworld. And I don't buy into the whole idea of doing Combank to get used to the style of questions. If you know the concepts you can answer questions regardless of how they're asked. Like others have said, use Uworld to learn and not to assess what your knowledge base is. Try not to get discouraged with low percentages.

Although I've never used DIT, I hear it's very time consuming. You might want to think about rewatching the Pathoma videos on the concepts you're having trouble remembering such as glomerulopathies and heme related disorders and get them to stick through repetition.

I hear biochem on Uworld is a little overkill so I'd just focus on First Aid for that.

Also take an NBME closer to the usmle date to see how you are. If it's anything under 220 I'd recommend pushing that date back if you can and focusing on the comlex.

Good luck and keep hammering that First Aid!

Okay phew. Reading that other response on here really freaked me out, but after talking to a lot of people in our class -- it looks like very few people hit anywhere remotely close to 500. Our school wants us to be at a 350 right now 1 month out.

I've already decided that if I'm not in the 220-230 range for USMLE, I'm not going to take it. I was thinking of taking one of the assessments I got with uworld on monday to check my baseline and then do another one the week before the usmle and see if I see an improvement...

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay phew. Reading that other response on here really freaked me out, but after talking to a lot of people in our class -- it looks like very few people hit anywhere remotely close to 500. Our school wants us to be at a 350 right now 1 month out.

I've already decided that if I'm not in the 220-230 range for USMLE, I'm not going to take it. I was thinking of taking one of the assessments I got with uworld on monday to check my baseline and then do another one the week before the usmle and see if I see an improvement...
Yeah, most people I talked to didn't do so hot either but it's at the beginning of dedicated so use it as a baseline. Also, those UWSAs overestimate as well. Spring for an NBME closer to your date, much more predictive value.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, most people I talked to didn't do so hot either but it's at the beginning of dedicated so use it as a baseline. Also, those UWSAs overestimate as well. Spring for an NBME closer to your date, much more predictive value.

OOhhh, really? Thank you! I'll definitely buy the NBME. How "close" would you suggest that?

I've been worried because I keep thinking a month isn't enough time.

Form D managed to ask me everything I haven't looked at yet... so much neuro and thyroid ugh

OOhhh, really? Thank you! I'll definitely buy the NBME. How "close" would you suggest that?

I've been worried because I keep thinking a month isn't enough time.

Form D managed to ask me everything I haven't looked at yet... so much neuro and thyroid ugh
If you have the money you can do one weekly and adjust your study schedule according to your weak areas. Or you can go all out and just take it a few days from your test date to see if you are ready. Popular opinion is buy the form 17 as it's the newest.

Also repro... I got lucky and just happened to knock out neuro and endocrine a couple days beforehand.