Concern about psychology subject GRE score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedude14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the Psych GRE's because a few schools I want to apply to recommend or require this test.

Well I took a kaplan practice test to see how I stand and I bombed it. I only got 60% of the questions correct. This concerns me because I have received all A's in my psych courses. I know I haven't studied for it is it normal to do so bad on the subject test if psychology is your major?

I haven't taken any developmental or sensory+perception courses so that doesn't help I'm guessing.

Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. Many of the questions on the Psych GRE involve antiquated topics that no researchers even care about anymore, so it's not surprise that you missed a lot. I would just study for a few weeks to freshen up, particularly on some of the developmental theorists because my test really made sure I knew those guys!

This is a test you have to study for to do well on. First I would see if ANY of the schools you want to apply to even REQUIRE it. If they don't then don't bother taking it, it was a waste of time for most of the schools I applied too... they just didn't care what you got or even if you took it.

A few schools use it, and if you are applying to one, then best to study. I studied fairly intensively for a few weeks and pulled a 680 overall. I also had all A's in all my psych courses, it's not an easy test.

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it because I figured if I did really well, it would help boost my stats and I was worried about my GPA dragging me down.

I took plenty of psych courses and I still didn't know most of the material. I got several subject test review books, as well as a cheap used introductory psych textbook and...pretty much just memorized everything. I ended up getting a 780 (97%ile)--and I also bombed my original practice tests.

I definitely think you still have to study for it even if you've taken lots of psych courses.

I think the figures are that the average taker tends to only get about half of the questions correct, which would put you ahead.

this is one of the last things grad school admissions committees look at, like posted above, many do not even require it.