Concern Over Potentially Unethical Interview Questioning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheese Machine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This morning I interviewed at my alma mater's medical school, which was super exciting. For my first session I sat down with clinical faculty member for a one on one interview. This faculty member had a copy of my application and thorough notes. His very first question was my opinion on gun control. After I gave my opinion, he went on to state that he thought the root of the problem was our society's glorification of a military that is constantly fighting meaningless wars. He went on to complain about jet plane flyovers at sporting events and the viral videos of soldiers returning to their families. My issue is that in my secondary for this school, I clearly stated that my father had been serving for 23 years and counting, and that my sister was currently serving. Is this fair game to try testing my composure or is this targeting me for personal reasons? I am really at a loss for how this one portion of the interview went and would love any advice that you all may have.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

How is this unethical?

Reactions: 3 users
He was quite rude to seemingly demean the military/servicemen, especially considering the military tradition in your family.

My guess is he was trying to test your composure and gauge how you approach discomfort or an attack on your values. But none of what you described seems unethical or out of bounds to me.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

This morning I interviewed at my alma mater's medical school, which was super exciting. For my first session I sat down with clinical faculty member for a one on one interview. This faculty member had a copy of my application and thorough notes. His very first question was my opinion on gun control. After I gave my opinion, he went on to state that he thought the root of the problem was our society's glorification of a military that is constantly fighting meaningless wars. He went on to complain about jet plane flyovers at sporting events and the viral videos of soldiers returning to their families. My issue is that in my secondary for this school, I clearly stated that my father had been serving for 23 years and counting, and that my sister was currently serving. Is this fair game to try testing my composure or is this targeting me for personal reasons? I am really at a loss for how this one portion of the interview went and would love any advice that you all may have.

Thanks for the help!

It's definitely not unethical. It's impossible for you to know whether he was just seeing how you'd respond or whether he actually has a bias against the military and was ****ing with you. The only thing you can really do is keep your composure (unless you felt like he was actually attacking you, in which case you could report him).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the help!
It was a perfectly fair question. You set yourself up with your app, and he was NOT demeaning the military.

Reactions: 9 users
Maybe not unethical, but definitely seems odd and irrelevant for a medical school interview, and perhaps even inappropriate for the interviewer to go on some wild tangent about the US military, especially if he knows your family is a military family. The only thing I can think of is if he was purposefully trying to throw you off to see how you can handle pressure.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay unethical is not the right way to describe it so I apologize. First off I did stay composed and went on to have a more relaxed conversation after that, but looking at a person whose father went to war twice and saying videos of service members returning home to their families is a form of glorification that sparks gun violence seems a little out of bounds. Maybe I am just being sensitive, or maybe I allowed him to strike a chord just like he wanted to. Considering our city was one of the ones that just endured a mass shooting, I just found it to be out of place for a medical school interview. Thank you all for the wise and objective responses

Reactions: 1 user
If you were upset by the line of questionning, you could report the interaction to the dean of admissions and state that you found it difficult to determine what his comments had to do with medical education or the practice of medicine and it left you wondering if the medical school faculty have respect for active duty personnel, veterans, and their families because the opinions shared by this faculty member left you with a very poor impression of the school and how it might treat the family members of active duty military personnel.

Reactions: 12 users
If you were upset by the line of questionning, you could report the interaction to the dean of admissions and state that you found it difficult to determine what his comments had to do with medical education or the practice of medicine and it left you wondering if the medical school faculty have respect for active duty personnel, veterans, and their families because the opinions shared by this faculty member left you with a very poor impression of the school and how it might treat the family members of active duty military personnel.
*drops mic

Although I have to point out that sometimes interview questions have absolutely nothing to do with the practice of medicine or medical education. They're designed to see how people think.

His very first question was my opinion on gun control. After I gave my opinion, he went on to state that he thought the root of the problem was our society's glorification of a military that is constantly fighting meaningless wars. He went on to complain about jet plane flyovers at sporting events and the viral videos of soldiers returning to their families. My issue is that in my secondary for this school, I clearly stated that my father had been serving for 23 years and counting, and that my sister was currently serving. Is this fair game to try testing my composure or is this targeting me for personal reasons? I am really at a loss for how this one portion of the interview went and would love any advice that you all may have.

It doesnt sound like he was targeting you or your family *shrugs*, he's simply stating his opinion :). Sometimes us military folks can be a little over sensitive about how people view us... but isn't that what we fight for? For democracy and freedom? :nod: That should include the freedom of others to have an opinion, even if it's anti-military.

:cool: Just brush it off and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
I frequently ask an open ended question and immediately take the opposite view the applicant takes. I want to see how many branches out the applicants decision making tree I can take them. If they are feisty, I push them a little further to see if they maintain their composure. I want to see if they can think, and logically maintain their position. I look for a future consultant, who can explain their opinions in a logical and collegial manner.

Maybe I am just being sensitive.
You're being too sensitive. Gun violence is not an insignificant aspect of American healthcare and is something we studied in my public health related graduate program, and is certainly something we've discussed already in medical school. I recognize that your issue isn't with the discussion of gun violence but rather with them bringing up the military and yes, they may have just been testing you, but you should be prepared for the fact that many of your future classmates will agree with your interviewer's viewpoint and won't be shy in admitting it. But that's just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

Thanks for the help!
Not unethical in the slightest.

Dick move, but not unethical.

Reactions: 4 users
Should have been like: “so do you appreciate freedom?”

When he says yes, pull out your phone and say: “hold on let me call my father, you can thank him for that.”

Reactions: 4 users
You can say that the interviewer was just pushing the applicant's buttons but if the applicant had gay rights activities all over the secondary and the interviewer made a statement about IV drug use as a scourge in America and then went on to blame crime and disease on the annual gay pride parade, would you expect that he was doing this as just a test of the applicant's poise or to demonstrate that these views would be ones you might hear from fellow students or that there was a serious problem with discrimination against LGBTQ students at that school, or at least by that interviewer?

Last edited:
Families of veterans don't have a history of being discriminated against and being denied civil liberties. That's a pretty laughable comparison.

Thank you all for the objective, level-headed takes on this! I definitely let myself get more bent out of shape by this questioning than I should have. Again, I feel as though I did really well in the interview but the more I thought about it later in the day the more it bothered me. I guess this cycle has just made me a little more emotional than usual.

It doesnt sound like he was targeting you or your family *shrugs*, he's simply stating his opinion :). Sometimes us military folks can be a little over sensitive about how people view us... but isn't that what we fight for? For democracy and freedom? :nod: That should include the freedom of others to have an opinion, even if it's anti-military.

:cool: Just brush it off and move on.

I mean I don’t care if someone is anti-military. I just won’t go to their school or their establishment. They’re free to have their opinion, and I’m free to not give them my money. That’s why I am in the military.

Many of the responses that have come to this thread have a lot to do with how OP thought this line of questioning was so out of line that it was unethical. Obviously none of us agreed, but I expect that starting that way predisposed many of us to be less charitable than we might have been otherwise.

@Cheese Machine, as you've mentioned, you now recognize that the way you responded at first was perhaps over the top. I will say though that if you really still feel like the questioning was disrespectful and that how the faculty at your school feels about the military is important to you, you have every right to not attend an institution that you feel doesn't share your values. I chose my school because I thought they'd be a better fit for what I care about, and I expect that many people make similar decisions.

Fair. Sucks big time though, I feel for you.

Families of veterans don't have a history of being discriminated against and being denied civil liberties. That's a pretty laughable comparison.

I agree with your overall point but let's not forget about 'Nam

I agree with your overall point but let's not forget about 'Nam
Fair enough, I forgot about Vietnam vets. They are one of the rare instances where American vets were actually discriminated against. That being said, Vietnam ended 43 years ago and the draft ended 45 years ago. OP themself noted that their PS said their father served for last 23 years. I think we all recognize that vets and their families experience hardships, but the hardships of a career you choose is not comparable to the hardships people face based on their sexual identity, and it's pretty disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Fair enough, I forgot about Vietnam vets. They are one of the rare instances where American vets were actually discriminated against. That being said, Vietnam ended 43 years ago and the draft ended 45 years ago. OP themself noted that their PS said their father served for last 23 years. I think we all recognize that vets and their families experience hardships, but the hardships of a career you choose is not comparable to the hardships people face based on their sexual identity, and it's pretty disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Sure - like I said, I agree with your overall point

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the help!
Is it "fair"?

No. Nothing about the application process is fair. It's part of the interview team to show their personality and for you to show yours. It's not likely a requirement that you agree politically but how you interact with the question. When such a question is asked, try to read the interviewer. If you pick up on the fact that the interviewer has a different political opinion than you, perhaps one you think is even radical, simply answer respectfully in a non-controversial way. There's nothing that says you need to agree or disagree. Think of it as a trial run for how you're going to work with others. You should be able to have a conservsation with people you disagree with politically, yet still get along respectfully. That's most likely what they're looking for. That being said, they're showing you their personality too. If all the interviewers are militantly political, ranting constantly as opposed to teaching medicine, that might be a signal it's not the right fit for you (or maybe that is a fit for you.)

As to how to answer, let's say you're pro-2nd amendment and pro-military. The interviewer asks a question and makes it clear he's militantly pro-gun control and anti-military and wants all guns banned. Do you have to lie and say you agree or make a statement that you disagree? No. But you can give a generic answer on things that basically everyone agrees with, such as, "I agree. There's too much violence perpetrated with guns today." No one disagrees with that. Or on the military issue, "I hope to live to see the day, that our country never goes to war." Again, no one disagrees.

See?

Those are diplomatic answers that pretty much everyone agrees with, whether right wing, left win, pro-gun/pro-military or anti-gun/anti-military. By answering that way, you safely find common ground with someone you may be quite far apart from politically, but you've shown you can get a long. When you get a chance, read the book, How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie. It's an old classic, but still applies to today as much as when written. The techniques allow you to cut through situations like this and always come out ahead, to your benefit. The last thing you want to do is be caught off guard, react as if you're triggered and offended and give an answer that does you a disservice.

Keep in mind that this one guy interviewing you may be the only person at this school like that. Everyone else might be totally cool. So play the game and play it well, to your advantage. You're going to face situations like this over and over again.

Last edited:
I mean I don’t care if someone is anti-military. I just won’t go to their school or their establishment. They’re free to have their opinion, and I’m free to not give them my money. That’s why I am in the military.

Oh yes, exactly! :nod: OP should just dust it off and move on to the next school interview. No need to worry about it :confused:.

OP, if you thought that was offensive, wait till you work with other physicians, ancillary staff, pts, or families with opposing views on everything! :eyebrow: you have to learn to deal with it and keep it professional. You should also expect that most of your career (not just med school) will be dealing with people from all walks of life, and some of them are VERY much against our military establishment :naughty:. It is what it is.

@Birdstrike recommended Carnegie's book, I couldn't agree more with that! :nod: Best of luck to you OP!

Last edited:
He was quite rude to seemingly demean the military/servicemen, especially considering the military tradition in your family.

My guess is he was trying to test your composure and gauge how you approach discomfort or an attack on your values. But none of what you described seems unethical or out of bounds to me.
That his opinion. Not everybody like the military. And sound like he just concerned about all these ppl running around with guns shooting ppl up. Sound like a stand up guy.